Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA GeForce 7, 8, And 9 Series

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-28-02, 08:22 AM   #25
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

I'm pretty sure it won't be any different for the Nv30
Old 07-28-02, 08:24 AM   #26
DIMA

Send a message via ICQ to DIMA

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
I'm pretty sure it won't be any different for the Nv30
Actually:

Quote:
Nvidia is the first of the consumer graphics companies to firmly understand what is going to be happening with the convergence of consumer realtime and professional offline rendering. The architectural decision in the NV30 to allow full floating point precision all the way to the framebuffer and texture fetch, instead of just in internal paths, is a good example of far sighted planning. It has been obvious to me for some time how things are going to come together, but Nvidia has made moves on both the technical and company strategic fronts that are going to accelerate my timetable over my original estimations

My current work on Doom is designed around what was possible on the original Geforce, and reaches an optimal impliementation on the NV30. My next generation of work is designed around what is made possible on the NV30
DIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 08:26 AM   #27
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

But when people get their hands on the Nv30 and Doom 3 and enable AF and AA with all options maxed at 1024x768 and relise their framerates are around 40fps it will be a different story
Old 07-28-02, 10:20 AM   #28
Remi

Quote:
I asked my maths methods teacher about this before (if imaginary numbers could be used anywhere) he went whacko at me and said you just simply can't because the square root of a negative doesn't exist. He said Imaginary numbers are there to help you understand maths better and is an extension of learning maths BUT I.N s can't be used practically.

That's what my maths teacher said. Prove him wrong and I will be happy to tell him

"Well as to the use of imaginary numbers (the complex number system), if the algebra teacher I had when I was back in highschool is correct, imaginary numbers did come into play (an application thereof) when radio technology was being developed. Though I have worked with some circuit design (in regards to computers) I have not looked into this to see if he was correct. Imaginary numbers could have their practical applications however."
Ah ha! What a good laugh! And you let those guys TEACH math? Jeeezz...

First, "imaginary" was the term coined by an imagination-lacking mathematician of the time of their invention (well before radio was invented!) because they had hard time conceiving that such strange things could exist. That was very new and seemed "unnatural" because the science (then called "natural philosophy") did not show then any use in nature of those strange mathematical things. They would have been much more inspired to call them "lateral" numbers, as another one of the mathematicians of that time suggested (sorry I don't remember who).

They are used almost everywhere! They are useful to model waves. And waves are everywhere. They are used to design the components of your TV, your radio, your car, your camera, and etc. but also to display jpeg images, DVD movies, listen to mp3 files, and etc. again.

Sure, they can't be used practically... Lol! Thanks for that good joke!

Last edited by Remi; 07-28-02 at 10:33 AM.
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 11:02 AM   #29
bleat

I use 1280x1024 soley for the increased desktop area...
bleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 11:05 AM   #30
bleat

There is absolutely nothing wrong with 40FPS for a single player experience such as Doom3 will be... From what I have gathered so far it's going to be more of a methodical, tension style game than a run-and-gun ala Doom1/2, Serious Sam...

Granted 60fps is better than 40fps obviously...

Quote:
But when people get their hands on the Nv30 and Doom 3 and enable AF and AA with all options maxed at 1024x768 and relise their framerates are around 40fps it will be a different story
bleat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 12:00 PM   #31
SavagePaladin
info*****

he said a gf3 would do 30, so its safe to assume a nv30 will do >60
as to the other details, i don't remember
(sarcasm recognition is OFF)
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 04:51 PM   #32
RAST
<>

Quote:
Originally posted by skipparoo
[...] But now that you know this, you're still going to use 1280x1024, aren't you? Why, because it looks better? Nope, because you're used to it, that's all, or because everyone else likes to use it. But it's wrong, the whole world has got it all wrong! Hahaha :P

Yeh, but tell that to my monitor. It does 1280x1024 @ 85hz just fine. If I put it in 1280x960 the image is squished into the center of the monitor and I can't correct it completely. Therefor to me there is a big difference between 1280x1024 and 1280x960!!
RAST is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-28-02, 05:25 PM   #33
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Remi I'm going to school soon and within the hour I will tell my teacher what you said.
I wil reply when I get back from school which should be in a few hours (I only do aorund 3-4hrs on mondays).
Old 07-28-02, 05:38 PM   #34
Remi

Don't do my mistakes... be... diplomatic!
Remi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 05:42 PM   #35
PCarr78

Quote:
Originally posted by DIMA

LOL

Actually, 320x240 will be pretty popular when DOOM III comes out, cause according to Carmack, enjoyable framerates for GF1SDR owners will only be achievable with this resolution!

Well, if you play on a TV, 320x240 looks FANTASTIC.

I'm serious. Hope is not lost for them...
PCarr78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-02, 05:57 PM   #36
LORD-eX-Bu
Horus the pointy master

Thumbs up

1280x960 resolution ROCKS! Before I was using 1024x768 cuz I thought I'd get bad performance on everything, heck, I saw the thing on the Nvnews homepage and decided to check it out. No performance loss at all, this is great, I am keeping this new resolution.