Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-21-03, 10:03 AM   #1
wacco

Send a message via ICQ to wacco
Question Nvidia GeForce 4 and MDK 9

Hi all! I installed MDK 9 on my brother's PC with an AMD Athlon XP and a nVidia GeForce4 MX 440 but when the installation run tries to configure X It doesn't recognize correctly the card, even if I choose nVidia GeForce4 by the list. So, when I boot I can only use the sys in console because on vc7 I cannot even see the log in window. I tried also to upload XFree86 installing the 4.3.0 version. Well, with this version I can finally see the log in window but my keyboard does't work at all, so that I have to restart the sys manually (even a ctrl+alt+F* doesn't work!).. Any help?
wacco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-03, 10:51 AM   #2
bwkaz

Mandrake doesn't ship with the nVidia drivers (they can't, due to the way the GPL works and also because they don't have source for the drivers). Have you tried installing them off nVidia's site? I would think the binary RPMs would work just fine, even though I usually installed from .tar.gz when I used Mandrake.

The keyboard thing is probably not related to the video drivers, though. Is it a USB keyboard? If so, do you have "legacy USB" on in the BIOS? (I don't know for sure, but I wouldn't think you'd need it).

If it's a PS/2 keyboard, then something is seriously buggered... does booting to the Mandrake CD and hitting F1 at the first screen, then typing "rescue" help at all? Will that kernel at least boot with a keyboard?
Registered Linux User #219692
bwkaz is offline   Reply With Quote