Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-19-07, 03:56 PM   #1
softwarejanitor

Unhappy GeForce Go7600

I recently tried to order a custom built laptop (MicroStar chassis) with the GeForce Go7600 256M video in it. The system builder cancelled my order because they said that this graphics chipset was incompatible with Linux. However when I look at the driver on the nVidia website it is listed as supported by the 1.0-9755 release.

I just want a laptop with a Turion 64 x2 processor, nVidia graphics with dedicated video RAM (preferably a 17" display), DVD+-RW drive and without Windows. Why is this so hard to find?

I'm not a big gamer, I just need something that can run Unreal Tournament 2003/2004 and Doom 3 decently, and the Go7600 should suffice. I've found under Linux that nVidia chips are the only ones that work well with games.

If the Go7600 is Linux compatible should I order the laptop w/o Linux pre-installed and do the installation myself? Does anyone out there know of a laptop that would suit my needs?
softwarejanitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 03:58 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GeForce Go7600

The GeForce Go7600 GPU is fully supported in 1.0-9755. I'm not sure why you were told otherwise.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 04:20 PM   #3
softwarejanitor

Thumbs up Re: GeForce Go7600

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
The GeForce Go7600 GPU is fully supported in 1.0-9755. I'm not sure why you were told otherwise.
Thanks for the verification...

I don't know either, it certainly doesn't seem in the best interests of the system builder to cancel a nearly $2000 order. I'm hoping they just don't really know much about Linux installs.

I am assuming that the Go 7600 works pretty much like the desktop nVidia cards I've used... I do my normal Linux install and get an open source more or less unaccellerated default install and then I install the nVidia driver and everything is happy?

The other component they claimed was a problem was the internal PCI wireless card, but that is an option and I could just buy a PCMCIA wireless card.

I have sent their customer service department an email asking if I can just order the laptop w/o the Fedora Core 6 pre-load and without the wireless card since they will sell the machine bare or if they had some other problem with the laptop they hadn't mentioned.
Old 04-19-07, 04:33 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Correct, there's nothing different about installing the driver or configuring X in a notebook.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-07, 05:26 PM   #5
softwarejanitor

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Correct, there's nothing different about installing the driver or configuring X in a notebook.
Thanks once again for your help. I will call their customer service again tomorrow and see if I can get things straightened out with them and get my order reinstated or a new order placed.