Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-07, 12:10 PM   #73
rerushg

Send a message via AIM to rerushg
Default Re: 1080i Resolution unused by nvidia-auto-select on 60-inch HDTV, [ Sony KDS-R60XBR1

Way to go js22. I agree with you: don't know why -/- fixed it. I'm used to seeing +/+ for interlaced modes. Lots of flicker doesn't sound right, though, if you're actually getting 60hz. You might check it with xrandr.
Sounds like a little tweaking will get it. I know you don't have internet at home so we'll look for you tomorrow.
rerushg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 12:39 PM   #74
js22

Default Re: 1080i Resolution unused by nvidia-auto-select on 60-inch HDTV, [ Sony KDS-R60XBR1

Quote:
Originally Posted by rerushg
Way to go js22. I agree with you: don't know why -/- fixed it. I'm used to seeing +/+ for interlaced modes. Lots of flicker doesn't sound right, though, if you're actually getting 60hz. You might check it with xrandr.
Sounds like a little tweaking will get it. I know you don't have internet at home so we'll look for you tomorrow.

Wow, I never new about xrandr. Very cool tool.

As for the flickering : it's not the whole screen flickering, but rather the edges of horizontal objects. Say the border of a window is grey, and the desktop blue. Then a single horizontal row of pixels on the boundary will sometimes be painted grey, sometimes blue. It sort of pulsates between the two. I don't know if its a full 30 Hz -- it's slow enough to see quite clearly. The effect is to make the window (toolbar, letter, etc.) look like its sort of vibrating up and down, like I drank too much Red Bull or something. When I play video of a "normal" scene - not a whole bunch of horizontal geometric objects - there is no flicker at all.

Now that I've got a foothold into 1080i, it's time to start poking around. I don't recall what my various nvidia-settings are; the one's dealing with V sync might be the ticket.
js22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 02:35 PM   #75
rerushg

Yep. Sounds like flickering alright. Shows up especially in horizontal lines. Probably not bad with desktop (depending on wallpaper), right? But can get nasty with white stuff like a webpage or a spreadsheet. I suspect your modeline is giving you 50/25 instead of 60/30.
You're running projection TV, right? Have you calibrated it lately? Usually easily done with the remote. Helps a lot with clarity. Might help some with flicker by keeping the electrons focused "on pixel".
Good luck with it tonight. It's working, man; you're just tweaking it in now.
Old 05-16-07, 12:11 PM   #76
js22

Okay, let me just preface this by saying : "I am not on crack".

Now then. My problem with 1080i mode just went away. I thought the "-hsync -vsync" fix was just too weird, so I tried going back to +/+. Still worked. Tried going back to the modeline suggested by EDID. Still worked. So basically, 1080i just works. Looks fantastic, too.

So what _did_ I change ? Well, some time passed between my last unsuccessful 1080i attempt and the first successful one. There ould be some stuff I forgot about, but the one thing I did for certain has to do with 32-bit compatibility libs. Here's the relevant history as I recall it.

1) Install Fedora Core 6, x86_64.
2) Build/install MythTV 0.21 from tarball.
3) Install nvidia driver 100.14.xx (beta), x86_64. (No good reason, just ignorance.)
3a) Say "yes" to install 32-bit compatibility libs.
4) Lots of probs getting 1080i to work, give up. Time passes.

5) Try to build/install MythTV from SVN. Build dies w/ error about (32 bit) /usr/lib/libGL.so . (*not* /usr/lib64/libGL.so)
6) Remove (32bit) package mesa-libGL-*.i386.rpm
7) Build of MythTV still fails.
8) Re-install package mesa-libGL-*.i386.rpm (Same package from FC6).
9) More time passes.
10) Tried my desperate -/- sync idea.

This is when it started to work !!!

11) Go back to stock modeline (w/ +/+ sync)
12) Uninstall the nvidia 100.14.xx (beta) driver.
13) Install nvidia 1.x.-9785 driver. Do *not* install 32bit libs.

Still works.

I read on another forum that installing directly from the nividia *.sh packages can screw up a linux distro. They *very* strongly admonished people to use a package manager (yum, apt, ...) to get a proper install. I didn't, 'cuz my box is offline, but that warning did get me to thinking along those lines. I'm not certain that the 32bit lib business was the problem, but that's the only smoking gun at this point.

Also, I didn't really notice _when_ it happened, but the flickering went away. The only time I see any flicker is when I use the config options in the MythTV GUI.
Old 05-16-07, 12:20 PM   #77
js22

Okay, this is really a seperate issue, almost a non-issue, but after I got 1080i working, I tried xrandr as suggested by rerushg. The really weird thing is that the output reported my user-supplied (modeline) modes as being 50 Hz !!! They aren't, b/c the TV syncs to them and when I do the math : refresh = freq/(wid*height), I get 60 Hz.

Using xrandr I can switch between my own "50 Hz" modes just fine, but when I tried one of the other modes listed as 60 Hz, I got a disaster - had to give the three fingered salute.

As far as I'm concerned, this is nothing more than a curiosity - I can watch TV just fine now. But if anybody has seen/heard of this kind of thing, I'd love to hear whats going on.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.
Old 05-16-07, 12:22 PM   #78
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: 1080i Resolution unused by nvidia-auto-select on 60-inch HDTV, [ Sony KDS-R60XBR1 ]

That is expected behavior. See the driver README's discussion of DynamicTwinview. Or search this forum for the many other threads where its been discussed in the past.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 12:52 PM   #79
js22

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
That is expected behavior. See the driver README's discussion of DynamicTwinview. Or search this forum for the many other threads where its been discussed in the past.

Awesome. Now I can focus on tweaking MythTV. Thanks again.
Old 05-16-07, 09:00 PM   #80
///MVinny
WSP Most Wanted

Quote:
Originally Posted by js22
Awesome. Now I can focus on tweaking MythTV. Thanks again.
Do tell what tuner hardware your using...
///MVinny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-25-07, 11:00 PM   #81
BrainRocketry

I'm having trouble getting my xorg config to work with my tv, right now the best I can get out of my monitor is 1280x720 and the borders of the screen are cut off. I'd really like to get it working in 1080i.

tv specs:
model: Sanyo DP32746 LCD TV (DP32746)
size:32" Diagonal
Aspect Ratio:16:9
native resolution: 1366x768
formats:480i, 480p, 720p, 1080i (scaling only works with xbox)
cable: dvi / hdmi

graphics card: Geforce 7600 gs
drivers: nvidia 1.0-9755
distro: Kubuntu
shoe size: 9.5

I tried krionius's config but it just goes back to 1280x720. I could live with the 720i if the edges weren't cut off. I'm a bit of a newb to linux and tv out config and i was wondering if someone could give me a hand. bellow is a repost of what I tried:
Code:
# **********************************************************************
# Monitor section

Section "Monitor"
    Identifier  "Mon"
    HorizSync   31.5 - 57.0
    VertRefresh 50-80
EndSection

Section "Monitor"

Identifier  "Mon1"
    HorizSync    15.0 - 46.0
    VertRefresh  49.0 - 61.0
    ModeLine "1920x1080" 74.250 1920 2008 2052 2200 1080 1084 1094 1125 interlace +hsync +vsync
#    Option    "DPMS"
EndSection

# Graphics device section

# Any number of graphics device sections may be present

# Device configured by xorgconfig:

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "NV1"
    Driver                              "nvidia"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "true"
    BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
    Screen 0
EndSection

Section "Device"
    Identifier                          "NV2"
    Driver                              "nvidia"
    Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
    Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "true"

Option "NoVertRefreshCheck"
        Option  "ModeValidation" "NoVertRefreshCheck,NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck,NoEdidMaxPClkCheck,NoHorizSyncCheck,NoMaxPClkCheck"
        Option "UseEDIDDpi" "false"
        Option "ExactModeTimingsDVI" "true"
        Option "FlatPanelProperties" "Scaling=Native"

#        Option  "NoPredefinedModes"
#        Option  "DPI" "120x120"
#        Option "NoDDC" "TRUE" 
#        Option    "UseEDID" "FALSE"

BusID "PCI:5:0:0"
    Screen 1
EndSection

# Screen sections

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen0"
    Device      "NV1"
    Monitor     "Mon"
    DefaultDepth 24
    #Option "backingstore"

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
        Modes       "1280x1024" "1024x768" "800x600" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0  # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
    EndSubsection
EndSection

Section "Screen"
    Identifier  "Screen1"
    Device      "NV2"
    Monitor     "Mon1"
    DefaultDepth 24

Subsection "Display"
        Depth       24
#       Modes "1240x720"
        Modes "1920x1080_60i"
        # "1280x720" "640x480"
        ViewPort    0 0  # initial origin if mode is smaller than desktop
    EndSubsection
EndSection

# ServerLayout sections.

# sans serverLayout section
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (92.7 KB, 94 views)
BrainRocketry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 11:24 PM   #82
BrainRocketry

oops looks like last time I added the xorg it didn't get saved. I changed it to the config above and it bombed my display here's a new bug report.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (58.7 KB, 107 views)
Old 05-28-07, 12:27 PM   #83
BrainRocketry

Default Re: 1080i Resolution unused by nvidia-auto-select on 60-inch HDTV, [ Sony KDS-R60XBR1 ]

bump
Old 05-29-07, 09:01 AM   #84
rerushg

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrainRocketry
bump
Sorry you're getting ignored friend. I usually check in here regularly but haven't in a few days. Hopefully you're fixed by now. If not....

Note that the 1080i modeline id in "monitor" section is simply a text reference. You can call it "brain" if you want. But when you refer to it in "screens" section you must use exact same reference to use that modeline. Exact match required. Remember this is Linux so capitalization counts!

If that doesn't get it check the "sticky" on how to "logverbose" and post back. That will provide a lot more info.