Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 01-31-12, 02:39 PM   #1
bob saget

Send a message via MSN to bob saget Send a message via Yahoo to bob saget
Default Booting from DVD...

Having some issues getting my computer to boot to a Windows 7 Ultimate upgrade DVD. i copied iso to a blank dvd using this method, with no errors: http://maketecheasier.com/burn-a-win...dvd/2010/04/22

I looked at the boot priorities, and tried many different combinations (all CD-ROM, or only the first CD-ROM, and the rest disabled, and others). When the computer is booting after the loading screen, it says press any button to boot from CDROM, and I am mashing the keyboard like crazy, and then it just boots regularly from HD.

Even though it seems DVD works fine, I am going to try a different DVD. The one I am using now is a maxell DVD+R

As always, help is appreciated.
bob saget is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 03:06 PM   #2
Yaboze

Default Re: Booting from DVD...

Try another bootable DVD that you know works and go from there. Make a Memtestx86 bootable disc, although that might be a CD, but it should still be the same process.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:01 PM   #3
ViN86

Odds are the disc isn't correctly made. So it attempts to boot the disc, but then can't find a boot sector.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 04:03 PM   #4
ViN86

Those instructions are missing the boot sector I believe. Try these: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=11194
Old 01-31-12, 04:08 PM   #5
Cylphid

Plug your keyboard into another port and/or make sure all things usb are enabled in the bios.

A friends pc will only enable the keyboard off certain ports (P5Q I think) but I have no idea why.

EDIT:
Never mind - run the install from within Vista.

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/w...ows-7?T1=tab03
Cylphid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-12, 05:15 PM   #6
XDanger
Whaaat?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cylphid View Post
Plug your keyboard into another port and/or make sure all things usb are enabled in the bios.

A friends pc will only enable the keyboard off certain ports (P5Q I think) but I have no idea why.
Yes ,I found that to be the case with the P5Q, ps2 port worked I think but then it changed with a bios update. Specific P5Q issue I think.
Old 01-31-12, 10:54 PM   #7
bob saget

For some reason, still nothing is choosing to boot. A memtest CD did boot, and the test ran successfully, but when the prompt came up to press ESC, pressing ESC did nothing, and I had to force restart. The instructions vin suggested didn't work. I think what I am going to result in doing is just keeping a copy on the DVD, and then first installing Vista, and then from within installing 7 when i need to. Oh well...
Old 02-01-12, 12:04 AM   #8
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob saget View Post
For some reason, still nothing is choosing to boot. A memtest CD did boot, and the test ran successfully, but when the prompt came up to press ESC, pressing ESC did nothing, and I had to force restart. The instructions vin suggested didn't work. I think what I am going to result in doing is just keeping a copy on the DVD, and then first installing Vista, and then from within installing 7 when i need to. Oh well...
Hmm, something must still be wrong with the boot disc. You have an 8GB USB key bob? If so, try this:

Install: http://arstechnica.com/business/news...lash-drive.ars
Download tool from here: http://www.microsoftstore.com/store/...usbdvd_dwnTool

Old 02-01-12, 03:48 AM   #9
bob saget

i will buy one tomorrow. they should be about $10. thanks.
Old 02-01-12, 07:05 PM   #10
jcrox
Mahna Mahna

Do you have a USB keyboard?

If so, try getting a USB->PS/2 adapter. My keyboard didn't do anything either when trying to boot from disc. Switched to using the adapter and it worked on the 1st try.

Gaming

MSI MPower Z87 | 4770k | CNPS9900MAX-B | 8GB G.Skill 1866 | EVGA GTX760 |ThermalTake 850w | X-Fi Titanium | HAF | Asus PA248Q | Lycosa | Death Adder | Win8 Pro 64

Dev/Backup

MSI GD65 | 2500k | H50 | 8GB G.skill | GTX570 | Ubuntu 13.10

Laptop

17" Inspiron | i5 | 4GB DDR3 | 500GB HDD | Win7 Pro 64

jcrox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-01-12, 11:55 PM   #11
bob saget

Thanks jcrotch. That worked But now Windows 7 does not recognize my X-Fi Fatality soundcard device manager keeps seeing something called AMD high definition audio device and high definition audio device.
I am trying to install the sound drivers but it won't let me.
Old 02-02-12, 09:59 AM   #12
Yaboze

I had that problem once, it kept seeing my X-Fi as a Intel HD Audio device. I forgot how I fixed it. I think I removed the device and reloaded the Creative drivers and kept rebooting. I might have manually tried to install the driver and pointed the install folder to the Creative drivers INF.

On my EVGA x58 MB, my USB mouse and keyboard work before the OS. There's an option for legacy support or something.
Yaboze is offline   Reply With Quote