Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-07-07, 02:23 PM   #13
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: FC6 on Dell XPS710 H2C - OS "loses" hard drives

Perhaps its the controller, or just a dmraid bug. You'd be best to file a bug with Fedora.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-07, 10:47 AM   #14
doctor_octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_octagon
All,

I have managed to capture the death of my box using an offboard USB hard drive (attached).

I think you may be able to ignore the USB errors - the OS seems to have a hard time with the card readers in my Dell monitor - but maybe I need a better driver for the MCP55?. I'll also attach the lspci output.

Please take a look and let me know if I can collect more information which would help. This happens VERY frequently: 8-10 times a week!

Thanks,
Dr. Ock.

syslog kern.*; *.emerg - attached (file: kern.log.20070504.txt)

lspci:<snip>
All,

Things are looking promising. After noticing that someone on the 2.6.18 kernel was having similar issues I upgraded my FC6 box to 2.6.20 and the box has been running for 3 days without experiencing the same issue.

I also disabled irqbalance at the same time, so there's two variables, but I'll try turning on irqbalance again in a few days and see how that goes. My guess is that if it's fixed (cross your fingers) it was the kernel that fixed it.

-Ock
doctor_octagon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 11:02 AM   #15
doctor_octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctor_octagon
All,

Things are looking promising. After noticing that someone on the 2.6.18 kernel was having similar issues I upgraded my FC6 box to 2.6.20 and the box has been running for 3 days without experiencing the same issue.

I also disabled irqbalance at the same time, so there's two variables, but I'll try turning on irqbalance again in a few days and see how that goes. My guess is that if it's fixed (cross your fingers) it was the kernel that fixed it.

-Ock
Just an update for anyone who finds this thread - my uptime is over 6 days now so I think I'm going to say it's fixed. Thanks to all who replied.

-Ock
Old 05-26-07, 08:48 AM   #16
AbdusSalam

The XPS 710 is loud? I have FC6 installed and it whispers silently. I'm guessing you dont have the correct graphic card driver installed, and so the graphic card fans aren't operating at the correct speed. I have two NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS running in SLI mode.

As for the rest of the hardware in my particular XPS 710 - no problems whatsoever with FC6 - and I assume with other linux distributions as well.

Abdus Salam
AbdusSalam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:09 AM   #17
doctor_octagon

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbdusSalam
The XPS 710 is loud? I have FC6 installed and it whispers silently. I'm guessing you dont have the correct graphic card driver installed, and so the graphic card fans aren't operating at the correct speed. I have two NVIDIA GeForce 7900 GS running in SLI mode.

As for the rest of the hardware in my particular XPS 710 - no problems whatsoever with FC6 - and I assume with other linux distributions as well.

Abdus Salam
Yes, I find it extremely loud. Mine has dual 8800s, I don't know if they're in SLI mode or not; I don't even know what SLI mode is. I assumed it was loud because of it's liquid cooled BS. I briefly looked into APCI but with no success.

Quieter would be better. I'm just glad it's not hanging on me anymore. You didn't have that problem? Maybe you're not using the (phony) NVIDIA RAID...?

F
Old 06-16-07, 01:14 PM   #18
afloyd77

Question How to get nvidia raid0 running in linux or during install

I have an ASUS M2N32-SLI Deluxe board, downloaded the Nvidia raid drivers loaded for Linux (Fedora 6) and it stop before the drive formatting. So after that I went back to a non raid drive and loaded it that way the (sata_nv.c). then I proceeded to hook my raid drives up from windows with the dmraid tool and it shows loaded but when it does it says detects nvidia and hpt43x format using hpt43x format, that's not what i have. I do have a highpiont raid controller that i used at one time in my other machine, but i've reformmated those drives and are using them now in my raid setup. If only it use the nvidia maybe i can see and mount the raid and perhaps get it moved over to the raid drives. PLEASE anyone with any ideas or who have done this???
afloyd77 is offline   Reply With Quote