Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-07, 01:10 PM   #37
bucky

Default Re: Install fails with Debian 2.6.20-1-k7 + Linux-x86-1.0-9755/Linux-x86-100.14.03

update:

after dist-upgrade and purging dosemu (dont thing this matter) i have no problem installing the drivers

Thanks Jul, Peter and Hugo
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-07, 06:07 PM   #38
farvardin

Default Re: Install fails with Debian 2.6.20-1-k7 + Linux-x86-1.0-9755/Linux-x86-100.14.03

I'm using 2 computers with Debian SID. On the one I could "trick" the kernel source to accept the nvidia.ko module, without recompiling the whole kernel, but on the other, with the same trick, I got :

(EE) Failed to load module "glx" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) Failed to load module "nvidia" (module does not exist, 0)
(EE) No drivers available.

Fortunately, thanks to your clever patch _Jul_, I managed to install the nvidia drivers without problem ! Thank you very much. I hope the nvidia team will include such a patch in the next releases. It's a pity Debian added this stupid paravirt module in their default kernel, especially when we know this module is experimental. It's clearly a regression in the kernel to prevent from installing 3rd party module this way (the nvidia driver doesn't even use this "gpl only" paravirt experimental functionalities).
farvardin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-07, 11:28 AM   #39
___Jul___
Debian Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to ___Jul___

I'm alsways glad to hear it helped. :-)

My friend and I did it to solve a problem we were bothered with and it proved to be not just a problem of a few but I see at least hundred downloads a day so it seems a lot of people do use paravirtualization enabled kernels.

Thanks for the support once again
___Jul___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-07, 04:51 AM   #40
bucky

> farvardin

paravirt is not experimental and it is very nice feature. Imaging fast switching to a faster Windows (or same speed)

ps. I say faster ot same speed because :

1. It will be using paravirt
2. Linux has better resource managament
3. You will not make it full with crappy programs like your current windows, only the one that you can not use under linux. You know the difference of a brand new installation and windows after one year usage

thanks
bucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 12:32 PM   #41
sebi_debian

Hi there,
I need to install the patched driver, too, because I've got the same problem. But that page offering the patched driver is down - are there any mirrors that I could use?
regards,
sebi

edit: ah, now it works, sorry for the post..
sebi_debian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-07, 10:22 AM   #42
___Jul___
Debian Maniac

Send a message via ICQ to ___Jul___

Unfortunately my new internet connection is still not there and that is why the page is still being hosted on the temporary server generously provided by the co-author of the patched driver - Peter, I'll get back with a note once the original server is up and running again, at least once it does it won't be that helplessly slow and still the mirror will be there too ;-)
___Jul___ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-07, 10:46 PM   #43
alizard

Default Re: Patched version of the NVidia driver for 2.6.20 kernel

I just wanted to thank you, I applied your patched version of the nvidia driver to 2.6.21-2-k7 , and it works just fine. Great to have my OpenGL and suspend-to-ram back... while the VESA driver was a lot better than nothing, there are a few things that just don't work with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ___Jul___
Hi All,
I have been waiting for some time and not upgrading my kernel from 2.6.18-4 just becuase of the problem with the drivers. Now we got some solution on this forum:

http://www.nabble.com/HOWTO:2.6.20-1...-t3679809.html

And based on it I wrote a small script that does exactly what these steps say except that i fixed the Makefile.kbuild so that the missing paravirt_ops symbol is correctly linked from inside nvidia-installer. No kernel rebuid is needed.

So to summarize the rebuilt version we present will replace the modpost binaries with version that will not check for the gpl signature of the driver and then build the kernel module with the fixed Makefile. Please take care that the kernel will still be tainted because of the binary modules of the driver. So no violation of the principles of the kernel happen too.

I will paste here the DISCLAIMER that we added to the driver to be sure that no misunderstandings happen.

Code:
DISCLAIMER: First of all this is our very own solution and we can not guarantee
        that it will work on your computer. Allthough I don"t think so it might
        even blow your computer, more possibly just wipe something importnat ;-)
        NVidia has also nothing to do with this modified version of the driver
        so I guess no official support can be expected from them either
        last but not least this binary driver taints the kernel so no support
        is to be expected from Linus too :). The only ones that can help you
        are either we or other users that are capable of understanding what is
        going on in here.

According to the NVidia license this version of the driver should be legally ok:
    "...Linux/FreeBSD Exception.  Notwithstanding the foregoing terms
        of Section 2.1.1, SOFTWARE designed exclusively for use on the Linux or
        FreeBSD operating systems, or other operating systems derived from the
        source code to these operating systems, may be copied and redistributed,
        provided that the binary files thereof are not modified in any way
        (except for unzipping of compressed files)."
 No binary files have been modified only Makefile.kbuild have been changed

The fixed version of modpost is under GPL and that is why source code is included
 in the archive too.
You can get the modified driver here : http://grizach.servebeer.com/nvpatch...g1-patched.run

I hope this will be usefull for you guys.
alizard is offline   Reply With Quote