Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-05-07, 08:32 AM   #1
earoque

Default Stability Problems amd64

Hi,

although I've tried the stability tips (boot arguments: idle=poll pci=nommconf with or w/out apic or lapic) for dual core processors, I'm having system crashes at random intervals with the x86_64 drivers from 8746-9755, kernels 2.6.17.x-2.6.21-rc5-mm3. I've also tried different versions of xorg (6.9-7.2) without noticing any differences.

When I run xorg with the xorg nv driver, I have no problems whatsoever, it runs for days on end.

The system is a HP dc5750 (ATI X-Press 1150 (w) Athlon X2 3800+) with 7300 LE card running an updated Gentoo Linux. I've had the same results with the latest Ubuntu and ArchLinux releases, so I assume it's not because of any interesting distribution-specific patches etc.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Eamon Roque
Attached Files
File Type: txt lspci-vxxx-2.6.21-rc4-mm1-rootperms.txt (23.8 KB, 142 views)
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (114.3 KB, 142 views)

Last edited by earoque; 04-11-07 at 10:58 AM.
earoque is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 10:42 AM   #2
earoque

Default Re: Stability Problems amd64

Here is an updated bugreport with the requisite "-logverbose" command.

And yes, my BIOS is the latest there is and I have tried all the "NvAGP" variants.

I would appreciate any help or RTFMs.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (38.7 KB, 138 views)
Old 04-11-07, 03:26 PM   #3
energyman76b

Hi,

first of all, don't ever use the installer on a gentoo system.

You had api mismatches - if you use the ebuilds, this won't happen. Also some apps don't compile against the nvidia libs, and when you use the installer, you can't switch easily.

Do you have two cards? If not why are two in your xorg.conf? Oh, and try re-setting the card and try a different PSU.
energyman76b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-07, 06:52 PM   #4
kloroformd

The ATI chipset the poster mentioned has onboard video.
kloroformd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-07, 03:23 AM   #5
energyman76b

but in his xorg.conf are two nvidia cards, not one nvidia and one ati.
Old 04-12-07, 07:05 AM   #6
earoque

Hi,

1. The current driver was installed with the ebuild. Yes, I have tried both approaches with different distributions, to rule out install-peculiarities, but when the nvidia driver is loaded and I'm logged in, the system completely crashes randomly.
The API mismatch is from 12 days ago, which has nothing to do with the current problem.

2. I only have one card, but a split cable.

/ Mo.#1
Card ---<
\ Mo. #2

The config with the two cards is what I got from using the nvidia-installer, I just kept the configuration, because it worked.

3. Yes, there is onboard video, but I don't use it.
4. I have revdep-rebuild'ed my system to death as well as "emerge -uv --deep world". There shouldn't necessarily be any library inconsistencies.
Old 04-12-07, 08:34 AM   #7
energyman76b

Have you removed the files installed by the installer first? Really? Made sure twice?

Have you tried a different PSU?

Have you tried removing the card and putting it back?

Have you cleaned the inside of your box?

Have you cleaned the fans?
Old 04-12-07, 08:55 AM   #8
earoque

The machine is new, so dusting would be overkill, although I'm sure that cleaning the box would have a certain zen-like benefit to it.

I can, of course, remove all the nvidia-installer files again (yes, I did remove them at least twice already and yes, I'm sure.). The API errors are from twelve days ago, when I was, admittedly, not as careful. Not that my care has made a difference, mind you...

I'm not sure what benefit removing the card and/or trying a new PSU would have, as I only have trouble with the NVidia drivers, not with general system stability, or with the xorg nv driver. The machine is also exactly the same model that my entire department has, the only difference is that I'm using the drivers for Linux and they for WinXP.

?!?!?!

Old 04-12-07, 12:24 PM   #9
energyman76b

Because with the nvidia driver and full hw acceleration, the card needs much more juice?

Hm, timing problems could be the case too. Have you had a look into the bios?
Old 04-13-07, 07:47 AM   #10
earoque

Plugged the disk into another, working and clone system, same results. Something else is going on...
Old 04-14-07, 10:33 AM   #11
jimorr

This seems to be a common thread of late. My own experiences closely mimic this as well. New Nvidia based motherboard, AMD 64 bit chip, Nvdia 7300 series video card. System works flawlessly with nv driver, multiple latest versions of nvidia driver with compiz causes ramdom system hangs (usually just several minutes after starting...) Would have liked to stick with this board, but I need a stable system and I just don't have anymore time to waste right now...
jimorr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-07, 07:44 PM   #12
jasone

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimorr
This seems to be a common thread of late. My own experiences closely mimic this as well. New Nvidia based motherboard, AMD 64 bit chip, Nvdia 7300 series video card. System works flawlessly with nv driver, multiple latest versions of nvidia driver with compiz causes ramdom system hangs (usually just several minutes after starting...) Would have liked to stick with this board, but I need a stable system and I just don't have anymore time to waste right now...
I see similar problems. The nv driver is stable (but unacceptably slow). The proprietary driver eventually causes the following to be logged to the system console:

EDAC k8 MC0: GART TLB errorr: transaction type(generic), cache level(generic)
EDAC k8 MC0: extended error code: GART error

The errors are less frequent with NvAGP enabled (within 3 days of booting, versus within 1 day), but they still occur. Once a GART error is reported, applications start crashing sporadically, which is only fixed by rebooting.

The hardware should be fine, since I ran the 8762 driver on RHEL4 for months without any issues. I upgraded to 9755 due to incompatibilities with RHEL5 that prevent the 8762 installer from building kernel modules.
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (23.3 KB, 138 views)
jasone is offline   Reply With Quote