Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-26-07, 04:56 PM   #1
popeydc

Angry New feisty 64bit install causes nvidia card failure

This is a copy and paste from a bug I just reported against Ubuntu Feisty.

Suggestions welcome!

"For months I have had 32-bit Feisty on one disk, decided to install 64-bit feisty on another.
Used the desktop CD, enabled nvidia in restricted modules manager thing before running the graphical installer.
Once installed, rebooted. Blank screen. Both screens report "No signal".
Machine does boot, and i have managed to login then install ssh "blind" and ssh into it.
Noted linux-restricted-modules-`uname -r` wasn't installed, so installed it and restarted X (all done via ssh).

Rebooted, still blank - blank from power up. No display at all.

Note: The machine is blank right from power up. I know this sounds like hardware failure, but this box has been fine for months, I find it too much of coincidence that *both* video cards should fail after an install of Feisty 64-bit. I know logic dictates that this stuff should not cause hardware failure, but the fact is it's blank from boot to X. I have removed one card (they were in SLI, now not, now only one card).

This is a core2duo based machine with twin NVidia 7900GTs, now only one. Two Viewsonic displays connected to one card via DVI. The only thing that I can think is that the nvidia blob put the cards into an odd state.

I am going to shut this down, leave the power disconnected and see if the card resets or some other magic. Other than that I have warranty on the cards and can get them replaced, but this shouldn't happen of course."

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...20/+bug/110361

9631 is the version of the Nvidia driver shipped in Feisty.
popeydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 04:58 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: New feisty 64bit install causes nvidia card failure

1.0-9631 is no longer supported on your cards. You should be using 1.0-9755 or 100.14.03.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-07, 06:47 PM   #3
popeydc

I have done as you suggest. I am now running 9755. Well, I say I am running, there is still no output on the display.

What now?
Old 04-26-07, 06:51 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=46678
Old 04-26-07, 07:09 PM   #5
popeydc

My apologies.

http://librarian.launchpad.net/74157...bug-report.log - With x already running normally via GDM.

http://librarian.launchpad.net/74158...ug-report2.log - With x running via startx --logverbose 6

My xorg.log, xorg.conf and other details can be found on the bug report:-

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+s...20/+bug/110361

Any further details required, let me know.
Old 04-26-07, 07:18 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

In your bug report, I see:
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID read for display device CRT-0 is invalid
(WW) NVIDIA(GPU-0): The EDID read for display device CRT-1 is invalid

Is your DFP connected directly to the graphics card or are you using a KVM, or some other intermediary device?

Does this problem persist with the 100.14.03 beta driver?

Thanks,
Lonni
Old 04-26-07, 07:21 PM   #7
popeydc

Yes, I spotted that too. I note it also happened under 32-bit feisty when everything was working fine.

EDIT: I was wrong, it didn't happen previously, I was reading the wrong log.

http://librarian.launchpad.net/7415648/Xorg.0.log - log from when I was running 32-bit feisty today.

Both panels are connected via DVI to the one card right now. I only have one card in the machine at the moment to simplify diagnostics.

Just to clarify, the machine produces absolutely NO output on the display at *any* time. This includes the BIOS POST which prior to installing this driver worked fine.

I will try the 100.14.03 beta driver, but I would not be confident that the driver can undo what has been done.
Old 04-26-07, 07:28 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

If nothing is displayed at any time, including during POST, then this is most definitely not a driver issue. You should report this problem to whomever manufactured the cards.

Old 04-26-07, 07:40 PM   #9
popeydc

I can understand why you draw that conclusion. it does indeed seem like hardware failure.

I would however point out that this machine has been working perfectly for months, and the video cards both died together at the time when the 64-bit 9631 nvidia driver was installed.

How can I know that any replacement card won't also die when I insert it into this PC and boot the nvidia driver?

I could end up sending a lot of cards back, and have an unusable computer in the meantime.
Old 04-26-07, 08:23 PM   #10
popeydc

OK, here is a theory. What if the 64-bit 9631 driver reset the card in such a way that it only output analog over the DVI ports?

I currently use DVI cables, but my displays have both DVI and analog VGA. I will see if I can dig out some DVI to VGA cables (which I know I have) and test this theory tomorrow.
Old 11-26-07, 04:36 AM   #11
rschulz

i have just had a similar experience. installed x86-100.14.19 on a ubuntu dual CPU machine (2.6.15-29-686 SMP) with a GeForce 6600 that has been running fine for 3 years. the result was disasterous.

previously, i had driver version 1.0-9625 running. however, last Fri, X started to misbehave (random crashes after only a few minutes). so, i thought a driver update would be in order. the update went through fine, but the gdm restart crashed the machine. after that, it would not display anything at all when powered on, not even bios messages. i have two screens connected to the card, one to the analog, the other to the digital output. neither would receive a signal.

luckily, i have spares of the same card. inserting a spare brought back the usual boot display messages and ubuntu boot menu. have now reinstalled 1.0-9625 and will soon find out if that prevents the same from happening again.

i dare not try generating nvidia-bug-report.log. in fact, it's unlikely that i could given that both X and OS seem to crash (no remote connectivity via ssh).

if there is anything else i can do to help troubleshooting this without endangering another piece of hardware, please let me know. i will happily sent the apparently broken card to Nvidia for inspection.
rschulz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-07, 05:23 AM   #12
popeydc

Quote:
Originally Posted by rschulz
if there is anything else i can do to help troubleshooting this without endangering another piece of hardware, please let me know. i will happily sent the apparently broken card to Nvidia for inspection.
My card was not in fact broken, despite what NVidia say. After installing the 64-bit driver the card refused to show any output when using a DVI cable between the card and the display(s). I switched to using a VGA analog cable with a DVI-VGA converter at the card end (my display has VGA and DVI inputs) and it just worked again.

I still believe there was/is something screwy in the 64-bit version of the driver that put the card into an odd mode so that it would not output via DVI. As a result of the lack of response here and from NVidia directly I have decided to no longer buy NVidia video cards.