Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-17-07, 02:08 PM   #25
alexcrow

Default Re: No XVMC with 8500 and 100.14.03 Beta

This is incredibly frustrating. I bought an 8800GTX thinking it would help immensely with accelerating HD MPEG2 content, as well as my games (which I only play rarely), and I'm now left in the lurch.

I've now had the card for 6 months, and from the pre-release to now there has *never* been any official announcement that XvMC doesn't work on 8xxx cards. This is tantamount to fraud in my opinion.

Just my 2 penn'orth.

Alex
alexcrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 06:31 AM   #26
stev391

I am in the same boat, I bought this card (8800GTS) thinking it would be the holy grail.

So disappointing NVidia, now I have a useless bit of hardware sitting in my HTPC. It is just generating heat and wasting power.
stev391 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 06:55 AM   #27
phelin

Quote:
Originally Posted by stev391
I am in the same boat, I bought this card (8800GTS) thinking it would be the holy grail.

So disappointing NVidia, now I have a useless bit of hardware sitting in my HTPC. It is just generating heat and wasting power.
I am just wondering about the logic of this kind of decisions... a 8800GTS costs around 300 euros whereas an Intel Core 2 Duo E4300 costs about 120 euros and is able to decode 1080i mpeg2 stream in software with great deinterlacing that xvmc cannot match. So where's the catch? Why would anyone buy an 8800GTS to be solely used for Linux HTPC purpose when a 7100GS would be more than satisfactory? And would anyone buying an 8800GTS use it with sub Core 2 Duo hardware?

What I mean to say is that IMO there is no need for the xvmc in an up-to-date system.
phelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 11:41 AM   #28
zbiggy

I hope when Geforce 8150 will come XvMC will be ready. Or maybe it will be more smart to buy cheap mobo with external cheap Geforce 7100.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 02:51 PM   #29
PenGun

If AMD opens the ATI drivers to open source ... I'm outa Nvidia for sure. We will remember this. You had us pretty well lock stock and barrel and now you are just gonna throw that away.

You are way ahead right now with hardware but that wil change.
PenGun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 03:37 PM   #30
gbil

Don't worry, ATI will throw you away with their support :P
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-07, 05:00 PM   #31
PenGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil
Don't worry, ATI will throw you away with their support :P
Support I don't need. If they open the hardware to driver writers we will have the best video available fairly quickly. I helped on Utah-GLX with John Carmack and our accelerated GL for Linux was consistently faster than the windose effort at the time. We had to reverse engineer at least part of most of the chip sets as well.
Old 05-20-07, 07:17 PM   #32
neosmatrix

HI @ ALL!
I bought a new 8500 GT for my linux mythtv PC 2 days ago. Today I found this thread which is a bit frustating.

I work in a PC-Shop and always adwise people to buy NVIDIA cards for Linux PCs. Can anyone say a month when you maybe start working on this ?
I like Linux very much, but the drivers are a really big problem.

BTW: has the 8xxx a new v-sync? In the nvidia-settings utility is only one option left in X Server XVideo menu, and it looks like my video on CRT-1 and TV-0 (Twinview Clone) is disabled.

Greetings Sascha
neosmatrix is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-20-07, 07:34 PM   #33
zbiggy

Forget about ATI. Very weak Linux support. When I had Radeon 9000 in the past I remember the millions of mails sent to support to provide at least basic 2D driver!!! I remember I was forced to use vesa driver for everything. There was no X-Video, no Render, no 3D, just nothing. After several months first Radeon 9000 support appear. Buggy and limited. Then I sold 9000 and bought Geforce FX5200. I'm not sure ATI will ever open driver if they even do not want to publish programming docs. Only Intel is doing something interesting. When Intel will add XvMC I will start thinking and comparing. ATI keeps improving a little Radeon driver. But this is still far far away what Nvidia and Intel do. That is why Nvidia is still my 1st choice where Intel is second one.
zbiggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 02:02 AM   #34
gbil

Quote:
Originally Posted by PenGun
Support I don't need. If they open the hardware to driver writers we will have the best video available fairly quickly. I helped on Utah-GLX with John Carmack and our accelerated GL for Linux was consistently faster than the windose effort at the time. We had to reverse engineer at least part of most of the chip sets as well.

So what are you doing here if you don't need support? Trolling?

It may sound offensive but if you haven't 'tasted' both sides (NVidia - ATI) like I did then believe me you don't know what you are talking about and 'arguments' like 'if they open source I'm out of here' are just too idealistic and I'm getting really tired from the mood in the forum the last days since ATI announced they will go open source someday. It's like everyone forgot the support NVidia has given us - and still does.
gbil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 04:42 AM   #35
Gusar

If anyone really believes that AMD/ATI will open their drivers, they are either really gullible to believe marketing BS, or in delusion. Read this. Dave Airlie can't even release his open source 2d driver and you expect them to open the 3d driver?

That said, my next card will be the one which offers better video acceleration (h264/AVC and VC1). It could be nvidia, but it will most likely be intel. I have a nvidia card now and am extremely happy with the quality of their linux driver. But we'll see what the future brings and I will vote with my wallet.
Gusar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-07, 02:27 PM   #36
PenGun

Quote:
Originally Posted by gbil
So what are you doing here if you don't need support? Trolling?

It may sound offensive but if you haven't 'tasted' both sides (NVidia - ATI) like I did then believe me you don't know what you are talking about and 'arguments' like 'if they open source I'm out of here' are just too idealistic and I'm getting really tired from the mood in the forum the last days since ATI announced they will go open source someday. It's like everyone forgot the support NVidia has given us - and still does.
Sometimes I offer support. The point is pretty simple. If we get hardware specs and chip data, opening the driver hardware will allow us to write our own damn drivers. We are very good at that kind of thing in case you had not noticed.

Wether they actually open them is another can of worms but it would be to their great advantage to do so. I don't think they have any other way of catching Nvidia in the driver area.