Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-07, 01:51 PM   #13
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942
Default Re: AMD's Large Debt Mounting Up Fast

amd always used to appeal to the little guys, and now they are priced like Intel. thats the problem. i remember when i could get an AMD for half the price and an Intel and laugh at the guys who spent too much on an Intel chip
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 05:35 PM   #14
$n][pErMan
III%

Send a message via AIM to $n][pErMan

I hope AMD can pull a left hook on Intel and get back in the game. I loved my old AMD computer... Untill C2D I had been a loyal AMD user for about 6 or 7 years. Just for the price of C2D it would have been a dumb decision to stick with AMD for the price and performance relationship. Im just so surprised they are doing so bad as CPU's are hardly thier main money maker. That ATi aquisition really hurt them Go AMD go... keep Intel on its toes and kick nVidia in the ass so we get better drivers and lower prices!
Intel® Core 2 Quad Q6600 G0 @ 3.51GHz (390 x 9 / 1.39v) | ASUS P5B Deluxe/WiFi-AP LGA 775 Intel P965 (1236 BIOS) | OCZ GOLD 8GB (2GB x 4) DDR2 PC2-8500 Dual Channel (4-4-4-12 780Mhz/1.95V 1:1 Ratio) | EVGA GeForce GTX 770 DUAL SuperClocked 4GB (Currently @ 1240MHz Core / 7112MHz Memory) | Sound Blaster X-Fi Fatal1ty FPS | Zalman CNPS9700 LED Ultra Quiet CPU Cooler | Samsung SSD 840 Series 256GB | ASUS ProArt 24in Widescreen LED 1920 x 1200 | Samsung DVD-RW-DL 18x Burner w/ lightscribe| SILVERSTONE OP650 ATX12V / EPS12V 650W Power Supply | AOpen 5.1 Surround sound system | Windows 7 Pro x64
100% Orthos Stable!
$n][pErMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 05:43 PM   #15
Xion X2

Quote:
Originally Posted by zoomy942
amd always used to appeal to the little guys, and now they are priced like Intel. thats the problem. i remember when i could get an AMD for half the price and an Intel and laugh at the guys who spent too much on an Intel chip
A great point. I really think that AMD should've had a price cut at the release of Conroe/Kentsfield. They didn't do this until much later, and I think it really hurt them. They lost a lot of AMD owners who went C2D because they were still selling their top model FXs for $700+ which were getting spanked by 300$ E6600s.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 05:51 PM   #16
Redeemed

Also, AMD really messed up by releasing AM2. It is not necessary at this point. AM2 offers nothing over 939 except for DDR2 support. AM2 would have been better suited for Athena/AthenaFX's release.

I'm really getting worried for AMD. I almost want to go out and dump all the money I can on some purely AMD- based systems, but I know that really wouldn't help 'em much simply cause I'm just one person. Now if I could just convince enough people to... *sigh*
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 06:18 PM   #17
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Also, AMD really messed up by releasing AM2. It is not necessary at this point. AM2 offers nothing over 939 except for DDR2 support. AM2 would have been better suited for Athena/AthenaFX's release.

I'm really getting worried for AMD. I almost want to go out and dump all the money I can on some purely AMD- based systems, but I know that really wouldn't help 'em much simply cause I'm just one person. Now if I could just convince enough people to... *sigh*
I would hate to see amd belly up.

But *more expensive + slower* doesn't keep a company afloat.

Wow, I'd love to see their next batch soon, and coming out swinging.
Old 04-30-07, 06:24 PM   #18
CaptNKILL
CUBE

You know what I'm getting from all of this? They are so confident that their next CPU will stomp the competition that they are digging themselves a hole that they "know" they can get out of. If they waited until after they made billions off of barcelona, everything would probably cost them more.

Seriously, why else would they spend and borrow that much money right before a major release? They have been around for a really long time, I don't think they are the kind of company that accidentally blows all its money in one year with no real plan for making it back.

I will be very very surprised if this gets significantly worse and they either sell ATI to someone else or sell out completely.

Its partially wishful thinking (AMD getting the performance crown back would be pretty awesome) but it also makes sense from a business perspective.
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 06:56 PM   #19
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I would hate to see amd belly up.

But *more expensive + slower* doesn't keep a company afloat.

Wow, I'd love to see their next batch soon, and coming out swinging.
Yeah, I know. But when you consider the possible long-term alternative, it doesn't sound too bad. I'd much prefer to purchase from AMD for the sole purpose of fueling their ability to compete with Intel then purchase from Intel and drive AMD out of business.

It's all in the perspective, my friend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
You know what I'm getting from all of this? They are so confident that their next CPU will stomp the competition that they are digging themselves a hole that they "know" they can get out of. If they waited until after they made billions off of barcelona, everything would probably cost them more.

Seriously, why else would they spend and borrow that much money right before a major release? They have been around for a really long time, I don't think they are the kind of company that accidentally blows all its money in one year with no real plan for making it back.

I will be very very surprised if this gets significantly worse and they either sell ATI to someone else or sell out completely.

Its partially wishful thinking (AMD getting the performance crown back would be pretty awesome) but it also makes sense from a business perspective.
Though that is the conclusion I've drawn as well- in reality that is how it has to happen. If Barcelona and Athena\AthenaFX performs worse than anticipated they're in deep-$h!t without a way out. Assuming the recent R600 benchmarks are infact accurate, AMD's only hope right now lies on their next CPU architecture.

Considering that it was the Opterons that got them their huge performance lead three years ago, hopefully the Opterons can pull it off again with Barcelona. *crosses fingers*
Old 04-30-07, 07:09 PM   #20
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldOfEvil
Would be funny if nvidia bought out AMD-ATi.. remember how invincible 3dFX was?
Impossible, unless Nvidia borrows a ton of money.

Plus, I am sure there will be severe anti-trust implications unless the graphics portion is spun off.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 04-30-07, 07:32 PM   #21
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
Impossible, unless Nvidia borrows a ton of money.

Plus, I am sure there will be severe anti-trust implications unless the graphics portion is spun off.
True. Which is partially why I doubt Intel would buy AMD. That would make Intel essentially a monopoly (neither IBM nor Motorolla could compete with Intel like AMD managed to all these years)- and with ATi + all the resources Intel has available nVidia's demise would only be a matter of time.

No, I doubt anybody will buy AMD out- unless... IBM did. Then they could actively compete against Intel and nVidia. Not sure how IBM stands financially though so I can't say how realistic even that is.
Old 04-30-07, 07:57 PM   #22
K007

If this goes bad...we are so screwed ><..
K007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 09:19 PM   #23
Amuro
Newtype Ace

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Here's a guy who's really pulling for AMD. I loved my X2 proc.. if Conroe hadn't been the monster it is, I would've kept it. I was perfectly happy with that chip at the time.
I still keep my X2 4800+, it's in my wife's system now. Great chip. Anyways, AMD needs to be bought, best way to get outta of this financial crisis, just not buy Nvidia or Intel, lol.
Lian Li Armorsuit PC-P80 Black | Intel Core i7-3960X @4.3Ghz | Asus Rampage IV Extreme | G.SKILL Ripjaws X 4 x 4GB @1866Mhz CL9 |eVGA GTX 690 Hydro Copper | Cruscial M4 512GB SATA III SSD | WD VelociRaptor 300GB | Samsung Spinpoint F1 HD103UJ 1TB | Pioneer BDR-205BK 12x Blu-ray Burner | Creative x-Fi Titanium Fatal1ty Sound Card | Corsair A1200 1200W PSU

Water cooled by Koolance ERM-3K3UC Cooling System
Amuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-07, 09:31 PM   #24
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amuro
Anyways, AMD needs to be bought, best way to get outta of this financial crisis, just not buy Nvidia or Intel, lol.
*cough*

IBM

*cough* *cough*
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote