Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-30-07, 09:49 PM   #25
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol
Default Re: AMD's Large Debt Mounting Up Fast

Nvidia buying AMD/ATI = Thriving chip manufacturer w/ very innovative technologies.

Intel buying AMD/ATI = Death to Nvidia due to advanced architectural designs for graphics boards, and a processor monopoly.

If there's going to be a buyer, it had better be Nvidia and not Intel.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU
Antec Nine Hundred case
Windows 7 Home Premium x64
ASUS MK241 24" LCD
ACER X241W 24" LCD - RIP
Madpistol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 05:42 AM   #26
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
*cough*

IBM

*cough* *cough*
That's my bet. Though could IBM afford such a purchase? And if they could and did buy AMD- would they alter it to be business oriented only or would they actually try to continue to compete directly with Intel and nVidia in the consumer market?

My bets are on IBM buying AMD if anybody did. nVidia couldn't cause then they'd essentially have a monopoly on the video card market (who's gonna' compete with them if ATi were gone- S3, Matrox? Not gonna' happen)- and Intel couldn't buy AMD for the same reason. Also, I highly doubt nVidia could afford such a purchase. Remember, nVidia would then be directly competing with Intel. I don't think they'd do so well after having to spend so much money on the acquisition of AMD. They just might go under themselves.

Nope. I'm betting IBM buying AMD if any company will.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 06:12 AM   #27
retsam

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
That's my bet. Though could IBM afford such a purchase? And if they could and did buy AMD- would they alter it to be business oriented only or would they actually try to continue to compete directly with Intel and nVidia in the consumer market?

My bets are on IBM buying AMD if anybody did. nVidia couldn't cause then they'd essentially have a monopoly on the video card market (who's gonna' compete with them if ATi were gone- S3, Matrox? Not gonna' happen)- and Intel couldn't buy AMD for the same reason. Also, I highly doubt nVidia could afford such a purchase. Remember, nVidia would then be directly competing with Intel. I don't think they'd do so well after having to spend so much money on the acquisition of AMD. They just might go under themselves.

Nope. I'm betting IBM buying AMD if any company will.
ibm wants out of manufacturing. they want todo nothing but services. matter of fact ibm just sold off there printing services division to ricoh, that division has a profit rate of 50% and they sold it off...so that just goes to show you where IBM is heading.

http://www.computerwire.com/industri...2-26D4AE2B8D07

i could see AMD getting gobbled up by the likes of SUN, just because SUN would have a huge interest in all the tech that AMD has under its belt.
retsam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 06:30 AM   #28
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

why would SUN buy AMD? SUN already has better CPUs for their servers.
Old 05-01-07, 06:31 AM   #29
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by retsam
ibm wants out of manufacturing. they want todo nothing but services. matter of fact ibm just sold off there printing services division to ricoh, that division has a profit rate of 50% and they sold it off...so that just goes to show you where IBM is heading.

http://www.computerwire.com/industri...2-26D4AE2B8D07

i could see AMD getting gobbled up by the likes of SUN, just because SUN would have a huge interest in all the tech that AMD has under its belt.

Hmm...

SUN Athlon64x4 7400...

SUN Radeon X3800XT...

SUN RD680 CrossFire...

I guess that don't sound all that bad.
Old 05-01-07, 06:32 AM   #30
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
why would SUN buy AMD? SUN already has better CPUs for their servers.

Last I heard SUN used a lot of Opterons. Not sure if SUN's own procs are comparable to AMD's.
Old 05-01-07, 08:11 AM   #31
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar
Impossible, unless Nvidia borrows a ton of money.

Plus, I am sure there will be severe anti-trust implications unless the graphics portion is spun off.
are there even global anti-trust laws?

even if nvidia did buy them, who would prosecute them. theyre a global company.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 08:42 AM   #32
DiscipleDOC

I must admit...I'm not to thrilled about my setup. I'm going to wait about another month or so, and then I may be "joining the bandwagon"....
DiscipleDOC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-01-07, 08:58 AM   #33
lightman

Send a message via ICQ to lightman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Not sure how IBM stands financially though so I can't say how realistic even that is.
Market capitalizations, (estimanted) enterprise values, operating margins and return on equity :
  • IBM :151.76 B, 163.38 B, 14.40 %, 31.56 %
  • INTEL : 124.31 B, 110.25 B, 17.54 %, 13.83 %
  • MOTOROLA : 41.42 B, 37.40 B, 6.89 %, 15.22 %
  • NVIDIA : 11.84 B, 9.8 B, 15.75 %, 25.59 %
  • AMD : 7.67 B, 10.62 B, -5.75 %, -19.41 %

IBM could very easily buy AMD (and NVDA, too). The point is, they're not interested. As much as Intel isn't interested in buying neither AMD nor NVDA.

(There are quite a number of other key statistics to take into account, but let's just focus on the ones I mentioned, whcih are probabily the most significative for this discussion)

Markets apart, I think AMD in the last year dig their grave.
  • First off, they thought Intel wouldn't have been able to regain the performance crown (or at least they thought it would've taken some more month for them to), therefore they didn't push for some real new tech for their cpus.
  • Secondly, they waited way too much to slash the prices after the C2D was brought to the market.
  • Thirdly, they lost time by introducing irrelevant new tech (AM2) to the market.
  • And lastly (and their, in my opinion, biggest mistake), they burnt 5.4B to buy ATI, in a move they thought would've positioned them better to fight Intel in the integrated gpu market (Intel discrete gpu market, from every perspective, non-existant, so ATI discrete gpu sector doesn't come [directly] into play in this analysis).

The last move is probabily the worst on they made, because it effectively moved away a huge amount of resources from R&D. And good R&D is what would've been needed to fight Intel in the cpu market.

And if the accounts we're seeing right now on ATI's next generation are true, the move has been deleterious for ATI, too.

I'm not saying that AMD/ATI can't recover or is definitely dead, but they clearly are in a lot of troubles right now, and I personally think that quite some of these troubles comes directly from a bad management during the last two years or so.
lightman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-07, 09:32 AM   #34
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

didn't amd also buy ati for the platform (chipset)?? thats what i heard a while ago.

they wanted to complete better with integrated graphics and motherboard chipset.
which i find kind of funny that few months later they went to nvidia to make them a chipset for their dual dual core (fx) system.
Old 05-01-07, 09:44 AM   #35
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Hmm I just came up with an idea; why doesn't AMDTI create a console? I mean they've got the processors, the gpus and the chipsets so why not just make one? I mean they couldn't possibly be worse than those of sony and microsoft? (I know it ain't gonna happen, but it's an intersesting idea at least!)
Old 05-01-07, 09:55 AM   #36
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
Hmm I just came up with an idea; why doesn't AMDTI create a console? I mean they've got the processors, the gpus and the chipsets so why not just make one? I mean they couldn't possibly be worse than those of sony and microsoft? (I know it ain't gonna happen, but it's an intersesting idea at least!)
why? so they could loose more money?

isn't MS and Sony still loosing money on theirs? not sure about nintendo