Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-01-07, 08:54 AM   #1
rost

Default chroot installation on a system without NVIDIA card

Hi all,

I maintain a build environment (using chroot) at work where we customize Knoppix into a live presentation/training platform for our products. One thing I always do is installing the closed source NVIDIA driver because the open source driver is very limited. Until now the build environment was running on a physical hardware platform with a NVIDIA graphics card and everything was fine... Now this build environment _must_ move to other machines (or even virtual machines) where no physical NVIDIA graphics card is available.

The problem now is that the NVIDIA installer always tries to load the compiled kernel module and fails. I found no command line switch to prevent this and even in "expert" mode installation I can not skip loading the kernel module. This way I am no longer able to install the closed source NVIDIA driver.

Is there any way to make the installer skip loading the kernel module? Is there any other way for this type of "cross-installation"?

PS: In a perfect world NVIDIA would cooperate with the X.org project to provide an open source driver for their hardware that is officially included in the X.org package and I would not need to jump through so many loops just to get some drivers for our training platform. One may dream
rost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-07, 10:36 AM   #2
_john_i_
gtx260/8200M G/DIY Linux

Default Re: chroot installation on a system without NVIDIA card

You may be able to use the --extract-only option, and compile the module manually in the chroot environment, and then write a small script to copy the x11 modules and libraries into place.

Not as nice as using the installer, but you could probably script the whole thing pretty easily.
_john_i_ is offline   Reply With Quote