|05-19-07, 02:29 PM||#1|
Join Date: May 2007
Reboot kills new driver install
The system is a Debian Lenny system and due to the fact that attempts to initiate a hibernate to disk (the system never powers off after the screen goes blank) fail with driver version 8766, I am trying to upgrade.
The hardware is a PCI-E card (7400 GeForce Go).
The package (./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.03-pkg1.run) installs correctly against kernel 2.6.21. nvidia module is loaded. There are no errors in Xorg.log.0 (attached). The X display does not start. An attempt to get some more info with startx -- -verbose 5 -logverbose 5, yields only the following :
(II) Initializing built-in extension XEVIE
(II) Initializing extension GLX
XIO: fatal IO error 104 (Connection reset by peer) on X server ":0.0"^M
after 0 requests (0 known processed) with 0 events remaining.^M
The way I installed the driver was :
1. Switched to a tty, logged in as root (btw. I cannot switch unless I am logged into on the graphical session with nvidia drivers).
2. Stopped kdm. Unloaded nvidia driver.
3. apt-get removed all the nvidia related packages, including the kernel module package.
4. Ran ./NVIDIA-Linux-x86-100.14.03-pkg1.run.
5. It compiled and installed correctly.
6. Without rebooting, I started kdm again. (/etc/init.d/kdm start).
7. This works. I then ran nvidia bug-report shell script. This is the file *-before attached to this post.
8. Then I rebooted. During the bootup, it spent quite some time removing NVIDIA TLS links (whatever they are).
9. Now, kdm won't fire up the login screen. When I pressed any key (ctrl+alt, even before I press f1), it takes me to the text mode tty login. I now ran another nvidia bug-report shell script. This is the file *-after attached to this post.
10. The result is that I have no errors in the Xorg.log file. Only a 104 error described earlier with startx.
What is going on ?
|05-19-07, 06:22 PM||#2|
Join Date: Mar 2005
Re: Reboot kills new driver install
Please see http://nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490, specifically the part about removing the Debian packages with the --purge option.
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Mageia 2 Cannot Install 71.86.15 for Riva TNT/TNT2||kbulgrien||NVIDIA Linux||3||06-29-12 09:27 AM|
|Getting the proprietary nvidia driver to run with Debian 3.0 r0 (woody)||Katchina404||NVIDIA Linux||9||01-12-03 09:49 AM|
|How to install my nvdia driver...||danyal_r||NVIDIA Linux||2||10-11-02 01:06 PM|
|Getting bizarre errors with driver install||clutch||NVIDIA Linux||1||09-14-02 10:53 PM|
|NVIDIA driver doesn't install successfully on RH 7.3||Sunni||NVIDIA Linux||3||08-28-02 03:30 PM|