Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 03-24-03, 03:23 PM   #1
blakieto

Default RH8 + Nvidia was working until kernel patch...

New to having a personal linux station, (used them at various jobs,) I started with installing Red Hat 8 from CD, let 'up2date' bring the workstation up to the latest patch/fix level and then followed the instructions here in this forum to install an Nvidia driver (it has an old GeForce2 GTS...) I downloaded the NVchooser script, ran it, downloaded the indicated Nvidia kernel src rpm and the Nvidia GLX rpm... and so on. The src rpm compiled fine and everything installed fine. After about an hour of mucking about I had working Nvidia drivers and pleasingly accelerated OpenGL rendering.

But after a few days I received a noticed from the Red Hat Network, saying that I needed to install a new kernel patch for some security issue. Running up2date again seemed to work fine, but after rebooting, the X server failed to start. The file /var/log/XFree86.0.log states that it failed to initialize the Nvidia kernel module, with the fatal error being "no screens found"...

After following several web descriptions of how to fix this issue I still am unable to get the Nvidia driver to work with the latest version of the kernel. I've been attempting to fix this for about a week, 2-4 hours a day. (Most of that time being tracking down "solutions" that I have not tried yet.)

So, I ask: When a new kernel is released, do I need to wait until Nvidia releases a kernel that matches? Has anyone successfully achieved a working Nvidia driver with Red Hat 8, kernel version 2.4.18-27.8.0 or above???

Note that I can simply work with the previous kernel (2.4.18-26.8.0) but that is before the last security fix...

Any suggestions would be great.
blakieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-03, 04:21 PM   #2
Andy Mecham
l33t master

No, you don't have to wait. You need to rebuild the kernel module against your running kernel. This means that you'll also need to grab an updated kernel-source package from up2date. Please make sure you've got kernel-source-2.4.18-27.i386.rpm installed, and rebuild the driver with the SRPM as you did before.

--andy
Old 03-24-03, 08:43 PM   #3
Wolfman [TWP]
Geforce 8800 GTS 512

I run RH8.0 too. And to solve this kernel update problem I wrote a script to do all the recompiling for me. Checkout my reply to this post. As it has all the details.

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...&threadid=8909

And like Andy said, make sure that you also update the kernel source, and not to mention BOOT into the NEW kernel before running the script. As it needs to recompile the drivers on the RUNNING kernel.

Wolf
Wolfman [TWP] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-03, 03:46 PM   #4
blakieto

Everything works now.

Wolfman, you are my hero!

Thank you very much.
blakieto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-03, 09:53 PM   #5
TaBaTaN

I have nforce2 with nvidia lan, and is not working , it use to work, but when i make a kernel upgrade stop working.
Im a newbie , can you tell me what i need to do?

Thanks.

Sorry for my english
TaBaTaN is offline   Reply With Quote