Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-17-07, 04:05 AM   #13
grey_1

Default Re: Thinking of trying Linux...

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911medic
That's what I'm afraid of. I'll spend copious amounts of time tweaking it, only to go, "Windows was working just as well for me, why did I just go through all this?"

But I really would like a good alternative. And the fact that it's free is, of course, very alluring. The latest builds of Ubuntu seem more user-friendly for someone coming from Windows, if only the gaming were there as robustly as it is in Windows.

I'm also a little leery of dual-booting. I've F'd up my MBR on my own before, and I've heard a few horror stories regarding users who've had dual-boot systems and decided to just go back to Windows, and trying to un-do the dual-boot borked their PCs. That would suck.
I always unplug my windows hdd while installing linux and visa versa. Then change from within the bios. It only takes a second or to longer and saves me from having to go through that repairing the mbr if I bork something.
Old 05-17-07, 07:19 AM   #14
911medic
Is it football season yet

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I always unplug my windows hdd while installing linux and visa versa. Then change from within the bios. It only takes a second or to longer and saves me from having to go through that repairing the mbr if I bork something.
So, you mean you unplug the Windows HDD just for the install, then change the boot order in the BIOS? Or do you use the "list of operating systems" menu on boot up to select which OS to boot? I'm a bit confused (and have never dual-booted before, so a total noob).
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers
No comprehension to fail; I vacuum the wind for my sail
Can't be the rest; Let others waste my time?
Owning success is the bottom line

911medic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 08:54 AM   #15
grey_1

Quote:
So, you mean you unplug the Windows HDD just for the install, then change the boot order in the BIOS? Or do you use the "list of operating systems" menu on boot up to select which OS to boot? I'm a bit confused (and have never dual-booted before, so a total noob).
Yes. If you install with both hdds hooked up GRUB (linux boot loader) will alter wins mbr. This is fine if your pretty sure you'll leave it that way. You'll have a nice boot screen come up, you can edit it to have whichever OS you want boot by default.

My reason is only that I love to try new distros, and can't buy a bunch of extra hdd space atm. So I unplug wins hdd, install linux, then plug wins back in. It only takes a sec to boot the one I want from the bios and saves me the trouble of repairing wins mbr if I ruin my linux install.

If your only using one hdd, you won't have a choice obviously. You could only use the boot menu, or make a bootable floppy to boot linux from. Heh, I don't even have a floppy in my rig anymore.
Old 05-17-07, 09:00 AM   #16
evilghost

Quote:
Well, the ones I'm currently playing are HL2, STALKER, FarCry, and FEAR/Extraction Point. Occasionally some Quake4 or UT2004. I rarely play Doom3 & Call of Duty 2, and I have a variety of older games that I don't play anymore (or at least very rarely).
I can speak from personal experience on a few of the games.

UT2004 - Native Linux port, installer on UT2004 CD, no issues.
Quake4 - Native Linux port, http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/, no issues.
Doom 3 - Native Linux port, http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/, no issues.
FarCry - D3D only, emulation required, 30% performance hit when run through Cedega but does run. It's playable but at the time the intro animation had to be turned off or it would lag.
COD2 - No experience, appears supported by Cedega, http://cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4011
HL2 - No experience, suppored by Cedga, http://cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3189
STALKER - No experience but I remember at one point hearing something about a native port over at Phoronix but I could be wrong.
FEAR - No experience, supported by Cedega, http://cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3984
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 09:01 AM   #17
evilghost

If you're going with Ubuntu (which I run) be sure to check out these sites:

http://www.ubuntuguide.org
http://www.ubuntuforums.org
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 11:36 AM   #18
911medic

Quote:
Yes. If you install with both hdds hooked up GRUB (linux boot loader) will alter wins mbr. This is fine if your pretty sure you'll leave it that way. You'll have a nice boot screen come up, you can edit it to have whichever OS you want boot by default.

My reason is only that I love to try new distros, and can't buy a bunch of extra hdd space atm. So I unplug wins hdd, install linux, then plug wins back in. It only takes a sec to boot the one I want from the bios and saves me the trouble of repairing wins mbr if I ruin my linux install.

If your only using one hdd, you won't have a choice obviously. You could only use the boot menu, or make a bootable floppy to boot linux from. Heh, I don't even have a floppy in my rig anymore.
Thanks for clarifying. I have 2 HDDs, so I could do that. But I share this computer with my wife (and occasionally kids), and having go into the BIOS at each boot up to choose the OS will not fly (and I don't want them in there anyway--I do enough damage in there myself). EDIT: Or do you mean I could just leave the Windows HDD as the default and only when I want to boot into Linux would I have to enter the BIOS? As I said, I've no experience w/dual booting, so sorry for the perhaps stupid question.

I do have a floppy drive...but jumping through these hoops to try this alternative is sounding less & less appealing.

Maybe I'm not ready yet.
E4300 @ 3GHz (lapped) || Tuniq Tower 120 (lapped) || Gigabyte EP45-UD3L || eVGA 8800GTS 640MB @ 648/1512/999 || 6GB DDR2-800 @ 5-5-5-15|| 74GB Raptor || 80GB Caviar || 250GB WD || Corsair HX520W || Samsung 225BW 22" LCD (1680x1050) || X-Fi XtremeGamer || Win7 RC x64 || Antec SX1040BII Server Tower || Altec-Lansing ATP3 Speakers

Old 05-17-07, 11:41 AM   #19
grey_1

Quote:
Thanks for clarifying. I have 2 HDDs, so I could do that. But I share this computer with my wife (and occasionally kids), and having go into the BIOS at each boot up to choose the OS will not fly (and I don't want them in there anyway--I do enough damage in there myself). I do have a floppy drive...but jumping through these hoops to try this alternative is sounding less & less appealing.

Maybe I'm not ready yet.
I know what you mean. That's not a worry for me as I'm the only one on my rig, the girls have their own.

If you do decide to give it a shot, repairing the mbr if you don't like it is very easy.

In XP, boot from cd, select repair option and type "fixmbr" and "fixboot".

I'm not sure the "fixboot" is even needed.

In vista, boot from dvd and select "repair", I think that's what the option says.

Either way..good luck what ever your decision.
Old 05-17-07, 11:46 AM   #20
911medic

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
I can speak from personal experience on a few of the games.

UT2004 - Native Linux port, installer on UT2004 CD, no issues.
Quake4 - Native Linux port, http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/quake4/, no issues.
Doom 3 - Native Linux port, http://zerowing.idsoftware.com/linux/doom/, no issues.
FarCry - D3D only, emulation required, 30% performance hit when run through Cedega but does run. It's playable but at the time the intro animation had to be turned off or it would lag.
COD2 - No experience, appears supported by Cedega, http://cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=4011
HL2 - No experience, suppored by Cedga, http://cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3189
STALKER - No experience but I remember at one point hearing something about a native port over at Phoronix but I could be wrong.
FEAR - No experience, supported by Cedega, http://cedega.com/gamesdb/games/view.mhtml?game_id=3984
Well, that alleviates SOME of my concerns regarding my games library becoming useless, as it appears the Linux versions are free and you use your Windows CDs/DVDs for installation. I was thinking I'd have to re-buy (via download) Linux versions of the games, but this appears to not be the case.

Running the games through Cedega is something I'll have to look into, though. The fact that they're just now touting SM2.0 support is a bit disheartening, however.

Thanks for the Ubuntu links, too.

Old 05-17-07, 11:47 AM   #21
911medic

Quote:
I know what you mean. That's not a worry for me as I'm the only one on my rig, the girls have their own.

If you do decide to give it a shot, repairing the mbr if you don't like it is very easy.

In XP, boot from cd, select repair option and type "fixmbr" and "fixboot".

I'm not sure the "fixboot" is even needed.

In vista, boot from dvd and select "repair", I think that's what the option says.

Either way..good luck what ever your decision.
I appreciate the advice. I've been through borked-MBR-hell once, so I'm a little gunshy there.

I think I snuck an edit in that post while you were replying:
Quote:
EDIT: Or do you mean I could just leave the Windows HDD as the default and only when I want to boot into Linux would I have to enter the BIOS? As I said, I've no experience w/dual booting, so sorry for the perhaps stupid question.

Old 05-17-07, 12:06 PM   #22
grey_1

WRT your edit - Yes. The only time you would need to access your bios is when you want to boot linux, or switch back to windows. If you were to leave your win hdd as the 1st boot device and not change it for a month you'd never notice a difference.

Fwiw, dual booting this way is extremely painless. Each OS will 'see' the other hdd and OS (although win won't recognize lin) but that's it.

if you were to use the GRUB boot loader, it sets everything up for you, and changing the default hdd is easier than editing a resolution for a game in it's config file.

But here I go getting long-winded.

You can install linux the "bios" way, and never have to change a thing til the time you decide to go in. If you don't like it, it's as easy as opening disk management in wiindows and deleting the linux partition.
Old 05-17-07, 12:10 PM   #23
911medic

Quote:
WRT your edit - Yes. The only time you would need to access your bios is when you want to boot linux, or switch back to windows. If you were to leave your win hdd as the 1st boot device and not change it for a month you'd never notice a difference.

Fwiw, dual booting this way is extremely painless. Each OS will 'see' the other hdd and OS (although win won't recognize lin) but that's it.

if you were to use the GRUB boot loader, it sets everything up for you, and changing the default hdd is easier than editing a resolution for a game in it's config file.

But here I go getting long-winded.

You can install linux the "bios" way, and never have to change a thing til the time you decide to go in. If you don't like it, it's as easy as opening disk management in wiindows and deleting the linux partition.
I see. Are you able to access files on each HDD? For example, if there are pictures or mp3's on the Windows HDD, will Linux be able to see them (and vice-versa)?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your patience.

Old 05-17-07, 12:14 PM   #24
evilghost

Quote:
I see. Are you able to access files on each HDD? For example, if there are pictures or mp3's on the Windows HDD, will Linux be able to see them (and vice-versa)?

Sorry for all the questions. I appreciate your patience.
Yes, Linux can see an NTFS drive however, write access to the drive isn't permitted unless you use the NTFS 3g module which enables write support for NTFS.

My Linux system supports these partition types:
Code:
Hex code (type L to list codes): l

0  Empty           1e  Hidden W95 FAT1 80  Old Minix       be  Solaris boot   
 1  FAT12           24  NEC DOS         81  Minix / old Lin bf  Solaris        
 2  XENIX root      39  Plan 9          82  Linux swap / So c1  DRDOS/sec (FAT-
 3  XENIX usr       3c  PartitionMagic  83  Linux           c4  DRDOS/sec (FAT-
 4  FAT16 <32M      40  Venix 80286     84  OS/2 hidden C:  c6  DRDOS/sec (FAT-
 5  Extended        41  PPC PReP Boot   85  Linux extended  c7  Syrinx         
 6  FAT16           42  SFS             86  NTFS volume set da  Non-FS data    
 7  HPFS/NTFS       4d  QNX4.x          87  NTFS volume set db  CP/M / CTOS / .
 8  AIX             4e  QNX4.x 2nd part 88  Linux plaintext de  Dell Utility   
 9  AIX bootable    4f  QNX4.x 3rd part 8e  Linux LVM       df  BootIt         
 a  OS/2 Boot Manag 50  OnTrack DM      93  Amoeba          e1  DOS access     
 b  W95 FAT32       51  OnTrack DM6 Aux 94  Amoeba BBT      e3  DOS R/O        
 c  W95 FAT32 (LBA) 52  CP/M            9f  BSD/OS          e4  SpeedStor      
 e  W95 FAT16 (LBA) 53  OnTrack DM6 Aux a0  IBM Thinkpad hi eb  BeOS fs        
 f  W95 Ext'd (LBA) 54  OnTrackDM6      a5  FreeBSD         ee  EFI GPT        
10  OPUS            55  EZ-Drive        a6  OpenBSD         ef  EFI (FAT-12/16/
11  Hidden FAT12    56  Golden Bow      a7  NeXTSTEP        f0  Linux/PA-RISC b
12  Compaq diagnost 5c  Priam Edisk     a8  Darwin UFS      f1  SpeedStor      
14  Hidden FAT16 <3 61  SpeedStor       a9  NetBSD          f4  SpeedStor      
16  Hidden FAT16    63  GNU HURD or Sys ab  Darwin boot     f2  DOS secondary