Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-09-07, 04:02 PM   #13
Redeemed

Default Re: AMDs Next Line of CPUs Revealed.

Okay, let me clarify- AM2+ processor are backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards. What will happen is, when you run an AM2+ processor on an AM2 motherboard, you will not be utilising new features such as HT 3.0, some power saving features, and a few other performance improving features as well.

In short, if you own an AM2 mobo now, you can still upgrade to an AM2+ processor, and you'll more than likely get faster performance from the proc than what you currently have- but you still wont be fully utillising all the procs available features and performance cause the AM2 socket will be crippling it. Then when you have more $$$ you can get an AM2+ mobo to fully use your proc. I created a thread fully clarifying all of this quite some time ago. Here's the thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89281

On paper Barcelona and the Agena family really look like they'll be Core2 killers. But the proof is in the pudding as they say. R600 looks like a G80 killer judging by specs alone- but we all know what the current benchmarks are indicating.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Barcelona and Agena. Infact, I'm planning my next rig to be built around the top of the line Phenom x4 chip if the price is reasonable.

Great find Xion, thanks for posting this buddy.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 04:14 PM   #14
CaptNKILL
CUBE

Sweet.

I didn't know they were scheduled to be released so early! Quarter 3 is just a couple months away.

Come on AMD, kick some ass! Make the quad core prices come down!
ASUS VW266H 25.5" LCD - OCZ GameXStream 700W PSU - ASUS Xonar DX - Logitech Z-5500 5.1 Surround - Windows 7 Professional x64
---- HTPC ---- Asus M3A78-EM 780G - AMD Athlon X2 5050e 45W @ 2.6Ghz - 2x2GB Kingston PC2-6400 DDR2 - Sparkle 350W PSU
Seagate 7200.10 320Gb SATA - Seagate 7200.10 250Gb SATA - Athenatech A100BB.350 MicroATX Desktop - Creative X-Fi XtremeMusic
CaptNKILL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 04:16 PM   #15
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptNKILL
Sweet.

I didn't know they were scheduled to be released so early! Quarter 3 is just a couple months away.

Come on AMD, kick some ass! Make the quad core prices come down!
I second this notion. All in favor of this movement, please rise.
Old 05-09-07, 04:26 PM   #16
Xion X2

Okay, I see now that they're backwards compatible. I wouldn't go that route personally because of the increased hyper-transport speed of the AM2+. For anyone who's waited this long to upgrade, they may as well wait another few months for AM2+ boards to hit the market.

HT speeds will go up from 1000mHz to 1600/1800 on the Quad Agenas/X4s. That's quite an improvement and one you'd think would show itself in real world performance.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 04:30 PM   #17
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Okay, I see now that they're backwards compatible. I wouldn't go that route personally because of the increased hyper-transport speed of the AM2+. For anyone who's waited this long to upgrade, they may as well wait another few months for AM2+ boards to hit the market.

HT speeds will go up from 1000mHz to 1600/1800 on the Quad Agenas/X4s. That's quite an improvement and one you'd think would show itself in real world performance.
True. I'd never recommend that somebody buy an AM2 system now. But for somebody like DiscipleDOC that already has invested quite a bit of money into thier current AM2 setup, it'd be ideal to just buy the AM2+ proc, then later the mobo.

Me, I'm waiting till next year to even consider getting a new rig. I'm still being blow away at how fast this Opty185 is. I don't think I could comprehend how fast ya'll Core2's are. I know, I'm quite behind the times- but happily so. This Opty is the fastest rig I've ever used- and it continues to amaze me at just how fast it is.

So, I think I can hold off on building a new rig for about another year.
Old 05-09-07, 04:39 PM   #18
Redeemed

I'm heavily interested in how well they OC. I almost slapped down the cash for an AM2 setup with a Brisbane X2 4800 simply cause of the oc potential. But I'm gonna' hold off as I don't know if my next setup will be running CrossFire or SLi. Furthermore, I don't know which proc I'll be going with either. As such, waiting is the best option. But so far AMD's 65nm parts are killer oc'ers- just like the Core2's are killer OC'ers. Hopefully these new batches will be even better oc'ers. Again, that is hopefully.
Old 05-09-07, 05:28 PM   #19
Saintster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Okay, let me clarify- AM2+ processor are backwards compatible with AM2 motherboards. What will happen is, when you run an AM2+ processor on an AM2 motherboard, you will not be utilising new features such as HT 3.0, some power saving features, and a few other performance improving features as well.

In short, if you own an AM2 mobo now, you can still upgrade to an AM2+ processor, and you'll more than likely get faster performance from the proc than what you currently have- but you still wont be fully utillising all the procs available features and performance cause the AM2 socket will be crippling it. Then when you have more $$$ you can get an AM2+ mobo to fully use your proc. I created a thread fully clarifying all of this quite some time ago. Here's the thread:

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=89281

On paper Barcelona and the Agena family really look like they'll be Core2 killers. But the proof is in the pudding as they say. R600 looks like a G80 killer judging by specs alone- but we all know what the current benchmarks are indicating.

Regardless, I have high hopes for Barcelona and Agena. Infact, I'm planning my next rig to be built around the top of the line Phenom x4 chip if the price is reasonable.

Great find Xion, thanks for posting this buddy.
I was so close to upgrading to a c2d system. I had everything researched and picked out and in the New egg cart. I made the decision to wait and give AMD a shot to redeem themselves. I didn't want to get too impatient with this type of new hardware about to come out.
Saintster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 05:29 PM   #20
Saintster

Quote:
True. I'd never recommend that somebody buy an AM2 system now. But for somebody like DiscipleDOC that already has invested quite a bit of money into thier current AM2 setup, it'd be ideal to just buy the AM2+ proc, then later the mobo.

Me, I'm waiting till next year to even consider getting a new rig. I'm still being blow away at how fast this Opty185 is. I don't think I could comprehend how fast ya'll Core2's are. I know, I'm quite behind the times- but happily so. This Opty is the fastest rig I've ever used- and it continues to amaze me at just how fast it is.

So, I think I can hold off on building a new rig for about another year.

Same time line and reasons I held am holding off.
Saintster is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-09-07, 05:52 PM   #21
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saintster
I was so close to upgrading to a c2d system. I had everything researched and picked out and in the New egg cart. I made the decision to wait and give AMD a shot to redeem themselves. I didn't want to get too impatient with this type of new hardware about to come out.
LOL Nice.

Yeah, I've got high hopes for the Phenom lineup. It seems like it could be a real winner- but so did the R600. We'll know before too much longer, that's for sure.
Old 05-09-07, 06:38 PM   #22
DMx
*BANNED*

WOW 45W!!! These look really nice, I think I might hold off getting a C2D

Socket 1207 here I come
DMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 07:05 PM   #23
Xion X2

Quote:
I'm still being blow away at how fast this Opty185 is. I don't think I could comprehend how fast ya'll Core2's are.
Those procs are still plenty fast. My roommate has one in his rig clocked @ 2.7gHz.

But I won't lie.. the Core2 mauls everything. Boots Windows / loads everything about 35% faster.

i7-2700k @ 5.0 GHz
Nvidia GeForce 570 2.5GB Tri-SLI
Asus P67 WS Revolution (Tri-SLI)
OCZ Vertex SSD x 4 (Raid 5)
G.Skill 8GB DDR3 @ 1600MHz
PC Power & Cooling 950W PSU
Xion X2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-07, 07:27 PM   #24
Madpistol
It's a wittle baby!

Send a message via AIM to Madpistol

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xion X2
Those procs are still plenty fast. My roommate has one in his rig clocked @ 2.7gHz.

But I won't lie.. the Core2 mauls everything. Boots Windows / loads everything about 35% faster.
QFT. I would love to see AMD massacre Intel though because that means lower prices on current Core 2 Quads, which for me would be a very healthy upgrade.

MadPistol's Rig

AMD Phenom II X4 965 BE (RB-C3) @ 4Ghz, 1.425 Vcore, 1.25V NB VID
Thermalright Ultra 120 Extreme (w/ Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm fan)
Gigabyte UD3H AM3 790GX motherboard
XFX Radeon HD 5870
PNY XLR8 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
G.Skill Ripjaws 2x2GB CL8 DDR3 1600
Soundblaster X-Fi Fatality Titanium
OCZ Vertex II 120GB SSD (OS drive)
Western Digital 500GB Caviar (black)
Western Digital 640GB Blue
Samsung DVD burner
Logitech MX performance mouse
Logitech G15 keyboard
Corsair HX 750-watt Modular PSU