Go Back   nV News Forums > Graphics Card Forums > NVIDIA Legacy Graphics Cards

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-10-07, 03:07 PM   #1
milla

Default Major problems with BFG 6600

I have been using a the BFG 6600GTOC in my machine (or trying too at least) and they keep dying. The first one the fan died after a week of ownership, the second was DOA from RMA center, I just installed the third and did all the drivers, etc.

It idles at 52C which is hotter than anything i've ever had, and under load it immediately shoots skyhigh, I shut the game down as the temp went north of 134C... The fan is working, but I don't know if its going as fast as it should. I'm more than a little fed up with this. My case is full of fans also, and the PCI slot next to the card is free for airflow For a company that prides itself on having "a great reputation with gamers" their product is garbage. I don't care about a lifetime warranty, or free shipping, i'd rather pay more for a card that works (which is exactly what i'm going to do now) I have no idea what the problem is with these cards, and I have no desire to find out.

As a buisness professional if I screwed something up for one of my customers 3 times in a row I would not expect them to return. I'm officially done with BFG.

On that note, whats the best Nvidia AGP card that money can buy I only have an AGP PC and i'm not really up on the latest graphics cards.
milla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 12:51 AM   #2

Default Re: Major problems with BFG 6600

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla

On that note, whats the best Nvidia AGP card that money can buy I only have an AGP PC and i'm not really up on the latest graphics cards.
I recently upgraded from a 6800GT to an XFX 512mb AGP 7950GT and it is incredible. If you get one use the NGO (from ngo hq) 158.22 optimized drivers with it and you will have incredible performance. Drivers included with card are no good.
3777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 09:23 AM   #3
ash

Lightbulb Re: Major problems with BFG 6600

Quote:
Originally Posted by milla
dunno what's the best, but i am enjoying an xfx6800gs

unlocked with rivatuner to the full ultra (something that agp will do that pci-e versions, inclusing the pci-e versions "bridged" for agp won't, because they are built on a different video chip)

have you tried changing the heatsink on the 6600 for a zalman and some arctic silver - it sounds suspiciously like the heatsink is a poor contact ?

my stock xfx cooler idles at 50+ o/c'd to 400/1100, but is lucky to go over 40c with the zalman, and 70 at max

the shazbat is the agp 8800 i believe, but why bother- it'd be easier to upgrade the whole shebang to a conroe for less $