Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-07, 05:04 PM   #97
Redeemed

Default Re: More AMD Awesomness (Barcelona & R600)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcrox
Really, IMO I think this will all come down to which company you want to support and what is your reasoning behind buying a CPU. Intel may very well still beat AMD when it comes to the highest benchmark scores for gamers, but if both companies have processors out there that allow for a min framerate of 40fps or higher in real-time gaming(which is what i'm hoping for) it should come down to a price war.

HT 3.0 should allow for some pretty interesting stuff...did I read that chart right?? 4200Mhz bus speed?? WTF kinda memory is that gonna use lmao. The 45nm parts is where the real action is likely to be, should be some sweet OC'ing there.

I also find it funny how soooooo many people just not that long ago totally bashed Intel for not keeping up with the AMD64's, I also seem to remember an awful lot of people not believing the Conroe's were going to totally stomp an FX-60. Seems to me, the idea that AMD could be coming out with another killer cpu (emphasis on the "another") is quite possible and I'm looking forward to seeing real world results
QFT

And in regards to those bus speeds, I think a lot of that is going to be for GPU+CPU integration later on down the road. I'm expecting the first integrated CPUs to be low-end. Still, I'm sure they're just laying the foundation for such technologies with HT3.0.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 05:17 PM   #98
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Up until Core2 it was quite the opposite. And I find it amusing how you seem so convinced AMD is done and defeated. Do you really prefer Intel to have a Monopoly over AMD doing thier best to compete?
ppl on these forums are so lame sometimes.

good example here....

2000 - OMG AMD IS THE SUX0RZZ!
2003 - OMG INTEL IS GETTING PWNT! WHAT? IVE ALWAYS LUVD AMD!
2006 - zOMG AMD IS GOING T3H BANKRUPZ0RZ. INTEL 4 LIFE.

its a freakin CPU who cares. AMD will come back. if they dont, God save us; were at the hands of Intel.
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 05:34 PM   #99
DMx
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86

good example here....

its a freakin CPU who cares. AMD will come back. if they dont, God save us; were at the hands of Intel.
Exactly, AMD is the only company left who can actually stop Intel from dominating the market (and vice versa) and making processors rediculously expensive.
DMx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 06:04 PM   #100
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMx
Exactly, AMD is the only company left who can actually stop Intel from dominating the market (and vice versa) and making processors rediculously expensive.
Are you intentionally avoiding my question about integrating the GPU on the CPU die? I've asked it twice now with no response.
Old 05-14-07, 06:05 PM   #101
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86

good example here....

QFT. If only everybody had that point of view.
Old 05-14-07, 06:07 PM   #102
DMx
*BANNED*

Quote:
Are you intentionally avoiding my question about integrating the GPU on the CPU die? I've asked it twice now with no response.
No, because I stand by my opinion. I think that in the future some memory slots could be reserved for the GPU.

Besides, who says that the cores will stay that size? they're 80nm cores, what about 45nm? 20nm? etc?
Old 05-14-07, 06:14 PM   #103
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMx
No, because I stand by my opinion. I think that in the future some memory slots could be reserved for the GPU.

Besides, who says that the cores will stay that size? they're 80nm cores, what about 45nm? 20nm? etc?
Those sized GPU cores are stil quite a ways off. That is why I'm saying CPU+GPU with a high end GPU will not happen anytime soon. I do agree that it'll probably happen eventually- but I'm quite convinced that for awhile it'll only be low-end GPUs that get integrated.

You mention having some RAM slots designated as VRAM only- do you not see the problem with that? First of all, you have only four RAM slots on a mobo. Since dual-channel RAM is practically necessary now days that means two slots reserved for the system RAM and two reserved for the framebuffer. Not only do you have to purchase your system RAM- you now have to purchase your frambebuffer. Such a strategy will only decrease the enthusiast segment of the market. Another aproach: add a couple extra slots that are designated for the framebuffer. This would be the better idea as now you can still utilise four slots for system RAM but that still leaves the issue of purchasing the framebuffer. It'd have to be atleast DDR3 to keep up with today's cards' bandwidth- but by the time such CPU+GPU configs are available the video cards would be using atleast DDR4. Thus meaning not only do you have to buy a couple gigs of DDR3 (what we'd probably be using by that time for system RAM) but also some extremely expensive DDR4 for the framebuffer.

That isn't a very cost-effective solution. That is the problem with it. Most consumers would shy away from it in favor of a video card. I'm sorry, but I just don't understand how you think we'll be getting high end GPUs integrated onto the CPU. You logic so far has been full of holes.

You still haven't addressed the issue of how they will fit the GPU onto the CPU die. You have atleast two CPU cores plus the GPU which typically tends to have a far larger transistor count than the CPU. As such- you're looking at one extremely large die. Even dropping the manufacturing process of the GPU wont completely eradicate this problem untill we get to 45nm at the least. And that is a long ways off.

Secondly- what about CrossFire and SLi? You still haven't provided an answer as to how that will work out. Two seperate sockets on the mobo? Okay, what about the system RAM and framebuffer then? 8 RAM slots for the system memory and 4 for the framebuffer? Just how much real-estate do you think there is on motherboards? There are a tremendous amount of obstacles that must be overcome for CPU+ high end GPU integration to work. I don't see it happening anytime soon.
Old 05-15-07, 06:34 AM   #104
Tygerwoody
mega ultra God Tit Lord

Quote:
Up until Core2 it was quite the opposite. And I find it amusing how you seem so convinced AMD is done and defeated. Do you really prefer Intel to have a Monopoly over AMD doing thier best to compete?
Where did I say that? Please point that out? Stop putting words in my mouth.

I said I'm sick and tired of people BSing about products that aren't even out yet. I would love for AMD to pull through with a better product that actually competes. However this "Ntel iz SoooO scARED! AmD ROXORS! K10 = WoWoWeePWNzer!!" is really ****ing anoying.

And DMX, I don't believe there will be high end products of GPU/CPU integrated. What the **** is wrong with that? What does this have ANYTHING to deal with you recommending C2D to someone? Thats not even on the same topic. Go listen to some cop killin rap and stay out of this thread.
Tygerwoody is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-15-07, 07:35 AM   #105
DMx
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Go listen to some cop killin rap
What?
Old 05-15-07, 07:59 AM   #106
superklye

superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 08:50 AM   #107
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tygerwoody
Where did I say that? Please point that out? Stop putting words in my mouth.

I said I'm sick and tired of people BSing about products that aren't even out yet. I would love for AMD to pull through with a better product that actually competes. However this "Ntel iz SoooO scARED! AmD ROXORS! K10 = WoWoWeePWNzer!!" is really ****ing anoying.

And DMX, I don't believe there will be high end products of GPU/CPU integrated. What the **** is wrong with that? What does this have ANYTHING to deal with you recommending C2D to someone? Thats not even on the same topic. Go listen to some cop killin rap and stay out of this thread.
Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
Quote:
Originally Posted by DMx
What?

You guys are harsh.
Old 05-15-07, 04:14 PM   #108
DMx
*BANNED*

Quote:

You guys are harsh.
Uhh, DMx is short for DataMatrix. I used to be here a while back but banned lol.