Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Software Development

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-14-07, 07:53 AM   #1
ViN86

Default PHP Question

im getting into php and plan to use it for managing a MySQL database and some other things. (adding permissions, login control, email mailing list, activity log, etc.)

im looking to make a standard function for adding entries to the database. i shouldnt have a problem creating the function.

however, is it possible for me create the function in a location and then access it from other .php files, or do i have to write the function into each php file? the latter sounds like a waste of space as well as extra time spent processing the page.

anyone know how to reference functions in another .php file?
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 08:36 AM   #2
evilghost

Default Re: PHP Question

Sure, simply create a separate page called "functions.php" and on each PHP page where you require the use of the function issue the following:

require("functions.php");

It's really that easy.

Remember, any time you pass a variable to MySQL make sure you mysql_escape_string() first to avoid the possibility of SQL injection attacks.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 09:17 AM   #3
superklye

I <3 includes

ViN you're putting your security/login session checks as an include file as well, right?
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 01:48 PM   #4
ViN86

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
Sure, simply create a separate page called "functions.php" and on each PHP page where you require the use of the function issue the following:

It's really that easy.

Remember, any time you pass a variable to MySQL make sure you mysql_escape_string() first to avoid the possibility of SQL injection attacks.
thx that's awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I <3 includes

ViN you're putting your security/login session checks as an include file as well, right?
well, i havent really learned all that yet and havent written the database nor the SELECT/INSERT/UPDATE/DELETE statements/functions i need yet.

ill be back here when i need help with preventing SQL injection attacks. thx guys
ViN86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-07, 01:49 PM   #5
evilghost

Post you're code, we'd be happy to review it with you especially for security concerns/etc.
Old 05-16-07, 02:05 AM   #6
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:

It's really that easy.
Isn't it better to use:

require_once('functions.php'); ?
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 03:57 AM   #7
supra
2JZ powered

Send a message via MSN to supra

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8
Isn't it better to use:

require_once('functions.php'); ?
dont think it matters too much unless that file is referenced more then once in the script
Old 05-16-07, 10:44 AM   #8
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by supra
dont think it matters too much unless that file is referenced more then once in the script
Exactly, IMHO it would be poor coding to include the function more than once. I could see a use for require_once() in a conditional but in this case I would assume require() would be more fitting with the file inclusion occurring at the "top" of the code outside of any conditional.

Old 05-16-07, 12:55 PM   #9
atriq

In practice, I usually use require/include_once() just in the event the chain of them end up referencing them multiple times. Solves a lot of "function redefined" statements.
atriq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 01:37 PM   #10
fivefeet8
Ngemu Mod

Quote:
Exactly, IMHO it would be poor coding to include the function more than once. I could see a use for require_once() in a conditional but in this case I would assume require() would be more fitting with the file inclusion occurring at the "top" of the code outside of any conditional.
I've found that once you start programming in OOP with PHP. It can get messy when multiple classes requires the same functions/classes from other php files, but you needed to use both classes on one page. For example:

All objects(classes) are defined on different php scripts:
Object 1 requires object2;
Object 3 requires object2;

Your page requires object1, object2, and object3. Using only require('xx.php') would cause errors. I guess it would depend on what you're trying to do though.
[i7 2600k @4.4ghertz][2x4 GB DDR3 1600][EVGA GTX570 1.280GB SC][EVGA GTX460 physx][Asrock Extreme7 Gen3 Z68][2xSeagate 160 Gb SATA HD raid0][Seagate 250 GB SATA2 HD][Sony Bravia 40' 1080p LCD HDTV][NEC 3520a DVD+-DLw][Windows 7 Ultimate x64][Rosewill 1000w]
fivefeet8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 02:06 PM   #11
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by fivefeet8
I've found that once you start programming in OOP with PHP. It can get messy when multiple classes requires the same functions/classes from other php files, but you needed to use both classes on one page. For example:

All objects(classes) are defined on different php scripts:
Object 1 requires object2;
Object 3 requires object2;

Your page requires object1, object2, and object3. Using only require('xx.php') would cause errors. I guess it would depend on what you're trying to do though.
Good point.
Old 05-17-07, 11:21 AM   #12
tieros

If you're using PHP5, I'd suggest putting that core code into a class, and then putting the class file somewhere in your autoinclude path. That way, you don't need to require() or include() it, or worry about instantiation issues from other files.

A call like:
$sess = new SessionHandler();

will look in your autoinclude path for a file named SessionHandler.php, read it in if it's not already instantiated, and call it.

Putting the code in classes also keeps variable scoping a little cleaner plus a few other nice freebies. Using classes had a bit too much overhead in PHP4, but they are great in 5.
tieros is offline   Reply With Quote