Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > CPUs, Motherboards And Memory

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-15-07, 06:46 PM   #13
JayG30

Default Re: EVGA Motherboards

The EVGA board was not "made" by Nvidia. But they do have something to do with it. The EVGA board is built in exact replication to the Nvidia reference board. Plus I also have heard the rumors that Foxconn manufactured it. Foxconn manufactures a lot of the board people use. They are the largest OEM motherboard manufacturer in the world I believe.

Reason people are buying the EVGA 680i board is because (1.) It supports SLI (2.) It is affordable compared to DFI and others (3.) It is one of the best quad-core overclockers (best of 680i) and VERY good at Core 2 Duo (4.) It's been out longer than others, meaning more mature BIOS right now (5.) They handled the bad boards well by replacing them for people (aka good customer service).

There's probably more reasons why, but right now I don't remember. Where did you get the idea that Asus is where you go to find gaming/performance boards? Thats silly. Asus was pretty crappy for many many many years. Abit was one of the best, along with DFI, back some time before as well. I think just about every manufacturer has produced a great board at one time or another. Going to sites to see what alienware () and others are using is pointless. Saying that one company is the only way to go for performance is another no no. Instead of doing what so many people seem to do nowadays, why don't you learn about the boards and make real educated decisions about them instead of acting (to some extent) like a fanboy. Not saying you are but in a sense thats what your talking about.
JayG30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-07, 09:51 PM   #14
Mr Bigman
Strongest Man On Earth

Send a message via AIM to Mr Bigman Send a message via MSN to Mr Bigman Send a message via Yahoo to Mr Bigman

I always liked ASUS cuz i know it and used it for years and seen it in alot of gaming rig custom sites like Sharky's, and what Alienware uses. HP uses them too and i believe Sony uses them. I know there are better boards out there to choose form but i know ASUS and used them for 10 years since the BX days.

I actually think the best would be Tyan. There stuff is rock solit and highend. but i don't think there making core2duo boards now.

I did see some stuff on EVGA in Hard(O)'s site and he found EVGA clocks higher than ASUS.
Three EVGA 285 SLI
Antec 1200
Corsiar 1000 HX Power Supply
2 OCZ SSD Hard Drives
4 wd black edition raid 2 setups for 4TB

Old 05-16-07, 12:37 AM   #15
JayG30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Bigman
I always liked ASUS cuz i know it and used it for years and seen it in alot of gaming rig custom sites like Sharky's, and what Alienware uses. HP uses them too and i believe Sony uses them. I know there are better boards out there to choose form but i know ASUS and used them for 10 years since the BX days.

I actually think the best would be Tyan. There stuff is rock solit and highend. but i don't think there making core2duo boards now.

I did see some stuff on EVGA in Hard(O)'s site and he found EVGA clocks higher than ASUS.
Tyan has boards that support Core 2 Duo (I believe quad as well) but I don't think you really want to use them unless your building a server or something. Tyan is primarily a server company. No doubt that their server motherboards are very nice...but for gaming???

I guess if you want to stay with what you know then you can spend a good amount on one of the ASUS workstation motherboards that are really nice. I forget the exact name but it's something like WS Pro, and there are about 3 variations of the board. If you've been following ASUS for all these years then I feel sorry for you because before recently there boards have been pretty half ass IMO. Even this time around their boards haven't been the best, but they have been the first into the market. Just so you know I own a P5B-Deluxe and a P5W DH so I'm not just hating on them without trying.

And like I said, looking at what OEM or gaming computer builders (if you can even call alienware that) are using isn't really the best thing to do if your looking for what to buy. They usually take a good 3 to 4 months to catch up with what is performing the best. Either because supply is to short on new releases or they wait to see what the real OC'er in the community have to say before making a choice. I'm not sure the exact reason but it's a fact none the less. As far as Sony and HP...are you serious? Who cares what they use. I highly doubt that the boards they use on majority are manufactured by ASUS. Maybe ASUS puts their sticker on it but Foxconn has been making OEM boards since the beginning of time. You just don't hear their name as much because that's the way they like it.

Just try to be a little more open minded about company and board choice. There is no reason to live and die by one brand. Get the most out of your money.
JayG30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-07, 12:54 AM   #16
nV`andrew
Akrynym

Send a message via AIM to nV`andrew Send a message via MSN to nV`andrew Send a message via Skype™ to nV`andrew

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tr1cK
AFAIK, EVGA contracts out the manufacturing. They do spec some components as well. My NF41 is actually a Jetway board, but with higher quality caps, etc.

thats the one im running, and its been great so far. the layout is pretty good and its been stable with all my overclocks. i like it, especially for the price
nV`andrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 05:03 AM   #17
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

Honestly, I cant take Asus anymore. I had a A7N8X-E which just stopped POSTing one day for no reason whatsoever, and my A8N32-SLI feels the need to reflash its BIOS everytime an overclock goes wrong.

Believe it or not, if i never downloaded that BIOS from asus before i started overclocking, i wouldve been totally fux0red; and all I was doing was raising the FSB 15MHz and changed the HTT from 5x to 4x. And don't even get me started on "PEG link" and the mysterious raising of the PCI-E bus to 200MHz!

I'll tell you, Asus officially sucks in my book, nothing but problems. MSI > Asus

Although, I am curious about eVGA. My next board will either be eVGA/DFI/MSI.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 10:37 AM   #18
zoomy942

Send a message via AIM to zoomy942 Send a message via MSN to zoomy942

evga boards are pretty nice. but i'm an epox man, through and through
zoomy942 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 01:14 PM   #19
darkrider01
A little rough at first

I've had a few ASUS boards, back in the P2 and P3 days. They were good boards and pretty nice overclockers. I also had an ABit board back then, and it stomped the ASUS boards I had in overclocking and features. I then bought a Gigabyte board and it had even more features.

This is how I see them:

ASUS - Overpriced for features, but pretty solid (worst BIOS update intervals)
Abit - Excellent features for a low price
Gigabyte - Expensive, but best components and features

If EVGA's graphics cards are any indicator, their motherboards should be among the best out there. they push the envelope in graphics, so their mobos should be at that same level.
School Bus - Intel i7 4770K * ASRock Z87 Extreme6/AC * EVGA GTX 590 * Kingston HyperX Beast 16GB 2400MHz DDR3* Alienware TactX Keyboard * RAZER Mamba * Pioneer DVR-212D * Samsung 840 Series 250GB SSD * 10+TB Other Storage * Ultra X3 1000W PSU * Dell U2913WM * Beats by Dr. Dre headphones * Klipsch Promedia 2.1 * Cooler Master HAF XB * Cooler Master Hyper N520 * Windows 7 Ultimate
Mass Transit - Xeon E3-1275 V2 * G.Skill Ripjaws DDR3 1600 * EVGA GTX660 * Kingston HyperX 3K 120GB SSD * Seagate Momentus XT 750GB * Dell 2001FP * Viewsonic VX2250 * Creative X-Fi Surround 5.1 * Windows 7 Ultimate
RV - Alienware M18x * i7 2670QM * Dual 560 GTX * 1.25TB Storage * Windows 7 Ultimate
Van by the River - Panasonic PT-AX200U * Homebrew 9' x 5' screen * Pioneer VSX-1121-K * Bose Acoustimass 6 * Velodyne VX10 Subwoofer * PS3/Xbox/Xbox360/Wii/WiiU/DirecTV HR22
Packin HEAT
darkrider01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-07, 07:48 PM   #20
john19055

ASUS was my favorite company and I loved there boards untill I had one go bad ,and I could'nt get no help at all ,I sent them about five emails in regards of my board and I fineally threw it in the trash ,Evga is a great company ,sure the 680i SLI had problems when it first cam out ,but so did all the other companies with the 680i SLI boards,Evga was right on top fixing things and they still are ,They even have it if your board does not overclock good ,you can just send it back and the will send you the updated A1 board,how many companies will do that .They have a great form support .life Time warranty.It is hard to beat EVGA when it comes to support and wanting to help you.
Intel i7-3820+Corsair H-100+Gigabyte X79-UD5+16gigs G.Skill PC1600DDR3+2-ASUS DirectCU II GTX-670 in SLI+Crucial 256g-SSD+1-3Gig Seagate+2- Samsung 1-TB+3-WesternDigtial 640g+LG-12x Blu-Ray Burner+850watt XFX+Antec-P280 case+50" Plasma PM6700+Logitech Mouse+Keyboard+Pioneer VSX-1020+Polk Audio Speakers
john19055 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-19-07, 02:04 AM   #21
t3hl33td4rg0n
Dethklok Returns!

Send a message via AIM to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via MSN to t3hl33td4rg0n Send a message via Yahoo to t3hl33td4rg0n

I had a post deleted on ASUS's forum when I asked about how when COM1/2 are disabled, the A8N32-SLI completely ignored the fact that they were wide open for use (IRQ 3/4). But they never got used.... Instead I had USB/LAN/X-Fi all sharing the same IRQ lol. Well, just to further my comments earlier about asus.

EDIT: I forgot to mention that its the only nforce4 board thats not compatible with nTune.

Intel QX9650 @ 3.83GHzXFX 780ieVGA GTX 560Ti8GB GSkill DDR800Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium PCI-ESeagate 1.5TB . 4x Samsung 2TB

Quote:
Originally Posted by MowTin View Post
....it's so clear how government makes things worse not better...
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote