Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 11-13-07, 09:28 PM   #1
CDE_1246

Send a message via AIM to CDE_1246
Default Gears of War PC Lag

Please post any useful information you can about any thing you have done to improve performance in this game and reduce lag.

This game lags constantly on my PC whether its running on the lowest settings or completely maxed out. The frame rate is smooth though.

Thanks!
CDE_1246 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 09:43 PM   #2
DRen72
Eastern Pipistrelle

Default Re: Gears of War PC Lag

Not sure. It seems to run reasonably well 100% maxed out (less DoF and with low Post Processing...only because I detest those "effects"). I did notice some hitching here and there so I tried the lower texture settings and that completely smoothed it out, but the trade off for low resolution textures wasn't worth it to me, so I put it back on max textures and dealt with a little hitching which I only notice when running to the next bit of action.

Basically I think this one really benefits from at least dual-cores and a GTX video card.
Storage: Corsair Force Series GT 265GB SSD / Western Digital Caviar Black 2TB / Two Seagate Barracuda 1.5TB drives
Optical Storage: Pioneer BDR-206DBKS
Sound: Sound Blaster X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
Other: Antec P183 Case / Corsair AX-1200 Power Supply / Logitech G5 (v2.0) / Microsoft Natural Ergonomic Keyboard 4000
Console: XBox 360 Elite
DRen72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-07, 09:52 PM   #3
conroejoe
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by CDE_1246
Please post any useful information you can about any thing you have done to improve performance in this game and reduce lag.

This game lags constantly on my PC whether its running on the lowest settings or completely maxed out. The frame rate is smooth though.

Thanks!

Hardocp had issues with the 320MB 8800GTS and lag. My buddy has a 320MB and has no issues. Not sure what causes the issue for some people...
conroejoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 04:23 AM   #4
ascully

Send a message via ICQ to ascully

no issues here at all with a 320MB 8800GTS in 1900x1200 everything on high apart from textures set to medium
EVGA 8800 GTS Superclocked 320MB
Hauppauge WINTV HVR 1600 HDTV Tuner
Western Digital 36 GB Raptor
Western Digital 320 GB Caviar
BenQ FP241W 24 Inch HDMI LCD
Antec Truepower Trio 650W PSU
Vista Ultimate Edition
ascully is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-07, 06:42 AM   #5
omzig
Comfortably Numb

I to have the jerky hicthes every few mins despite it pretty much running at its locked 62 FPS 95% of the time and as you can pretty much run back and forth between these hicthes when you find one i guess it has something to do with loading textures for the next section of the lvl your entering

I had some success in setting the line

OnlyStreamInTextures=False

to

OnlyStreamInTextures=True

on vista thats found in the User\Documents\My Games\Gears of War for Windows\WarGame\Config\WarEngineUserSettings.ini

That removed pretty much all the hicthing apart from checkpiont saves that is untill i hit Act V (the people can fly made stuff)and then it was back to giltch city....

Also im finding that on Act V im clipping into and getting stuck on many parts of the level casuing me to refight 3 or 4 big battles(thats not much fun on hardcore) seems PCF didnt get around to placing all there clipping brushes...

& i know its been said alot in other threads but pretty ****ty support sofar from epic & co GOW must have had very limited beta testing to go out in this state but i guess they wanted i out before crysis hit....again im a paying beta tester for yet another UE3 game....
omzig is offline   Reply With Quote