Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-17-07, 04:38 AM   #1
glObalist
working as intended

Default Any reliable how-to for Feisty+X1XX+XGL+Beryl?

I have come across various how-to's by people who claimed they got their Feisty+X1XX+XGL+Beryl configs working and even though I might be considered a Linux noob I fared quite well in sifting thru the tons of (often conflicting) info and applying/learning different things as I went.

Now my current situation is this:

I am logged in an XGL session, the desktop looks a bit different from a normal Gnome session (e.g. top bars of windows are blue, slightly differently modelled desktop icons, etc), I can enable Beryl, I get the cube, but it's very buggy and I keep losing the window borders and so on.

So my question, before I decide to sell this x1950pro of mine and move to a 8800GTS is this:

Does anybody know of a reliable way to get Feisty+X1XX+XGL+Beryl to work? I'm willing to give it one more shot with a clean Feisty install but so far there's been so many different sources telling me to do so many different things to get this to work it's unbelievable. I mean, for instance, I'm browsing a how-to thread and suddenly somebody chimes in with a "No worries, Beryl is no longer gonna be supported as it's merging with Compiz" and I'm like WTF??? Then another linux expert guy says he got the config to work after a week of trying but he had to dance around his computer with a tambourine for an entire night...

I would very much appreciate your input on this and if anyone is struggling with a similar problem, i.e. the lack of a good and up-to-date how-to for this specific config.
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
glObalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-07, 05:25 AM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Any reliable how-to for Feisty+X1XX+XGL+Beryl?

Sounds like you probably have already, but the wiki is the best source I've found. I've never run it on an ATI though, so best I can do from here is wish you luck.
Old 05-17-07, 05:38 AM   #3
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
Sounds like you probably have already, but the wiki is the best source I've found. I've never run it on an ATI though, so best I can do from here is wish you luck.
Heh, thanks I will try it once more using the wiki guide although I'm sure I have used parts of it in my previous troubleshooting attempts.

BTW, this is rich and kind of indicative:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_ATI
Quote:
All MMO's are now baby-school weak. The only good MMO's make your eyes bleed and force you to eat glass. In my day we had to walk uphill in the snow 5 miles *JUST* to log in.
Old 05-17-07, 12:25 PM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
Heh, thanks I will try it once more using the wiki guide although I'm sure I have used parts of it in my previous troubleshooting attempts.

BTW, this is rich and kind of indicative:

http://wiki.beryl-project.org/wiki/Troubleshooting_ATI
OMG I didn't even look at the page first! LOL!
Old 05-17-07, 01:28 PM   #5
glObalist
working as intended

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
OMG I didn't even look at the page first! LOL!
No it's alright, the wiki itself is there, just the ati troubleshooting section is like totally empty...
Quote:
Old 05-17-07, 03:39 PM   #6
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by glObalist
No it's alright, the wiki itself is there, just the ati troubleshooting section is like totally empty...
I haven't worked with fglrx in ages, thats actually one of the reasons I forst bought an nv card, the linux driver support is leaps and bounds ahead of ATIs.

Hope you get it sorted though - If you do you have to be one patient son of a gun!
Old 05-29-07, 05:02 PM   #7
glObalist
working as intended

Alright, so instead of dickin' around with the ATI card I got me a 8800GTS and now my Ubuntu Live CD hangs after I select "start or Install Ubuntu" and the first lines of Kernel alive! (or some such) appear.

It hangs on a black screen but the drives (CD and HDs) keep seeking for a while, then they stop too.

This is the same U64 Feisty Fawn CD I was able to install Ubuntu from with my previous vid card.

And no, Safe Graphics mode doesn't work either - it even gets to the point where my mobo starts emitting these rapid beeps and I have to shut down the computer.

Any ideas? Gonna try U32 in the meantime...

Edit> The 32-bit CD starts doing it's thing alright, unlike the 64-bit one, the Ubuntu loading bar shows up but then when it's about to (apparently) initilalize X I end up at the same black screen.

Guess I should start a new thread about this problem too...
Quote:
Old 05-29-07, 06:24 PM   #8
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

glObalist,
These sounds like known bugs in old versions of the X server's x86 emulator. Your best bet is to use a text mode install, if possible, or use a 32-bit installer like you tried. If you're hitting the bug I think you are with the 32-bit install, it might work if you try it several times.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote