Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > General Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Closed Thread

Old 04-09-07, 01:16 AM   #1
Redeemed

Default Evilghost would've been proud. :p

Well, in an effort to be able to get back into my XP install, I re-installed Kubuntu. Unfortunately I still cannot get into Windows. But Kubuntu is working fine.

Right now I'm in Kubuntu (obviously as I cannot get into Windows), using Konqueror to browse the web. While I'm browsing I'm also updating Kubuntu and installing new wallpapers.

I must say, when it comes to doing multiple things at once Kubuntu does seem to handle the task more fluidly than XP. Over all it does seem to be a bit slower than XP (it takes pages longer to load in Konqueror than it did in IE7). But for the most part it is pretty decent.

I must say, with this being my first real experience with any Linux distro- I actually like it.

Now, don't get me wrong, I'm always going to use Windows as I'm a gamer- but from a pure productivity standpoint- I like Kubuntu a lot. Out of the box Internet and sound works just fine. Though unfortunately it has no idea what video card I'm using (eVGA 640MB 8800GTS). And I'm dreading installing the drivers for my video card as I'll have to do it from the command prompt.

Any how, just thought I'd share my thoughts about my first impression. I know that in order to get back into Windows I'm gonna' have to re-install it. That wont be a problem. But I'm definitely keeping Kubuntu on my rig.

I do have some questions though (as you probably figured). In windows, applications are installed via "executables" (.exe). With Linux things seem to be "different". How do I install applications? For example, if I wanted to use FireFox or Opera to browse the web- how do I install them? I've "downloaded" them to my computer- but I can't figure out how to "install" them. Is there some program I should use to install them (I've tried Ark and it doesn't seem to do anything)?

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-09-07, 04:41 AM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Evilghost would've been proud. :p

Applications ->Synaptic. If it's not installed by default do apt-get update, apt-get install synaptic.

XP - Didnt repairing the mbr work?

Edit: nm, just checked the other post.

Old 04-09-07, 06:56 PM   #3
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Is there any reason to choose Kubuntu over Ubuntu?
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
Old 04-09-07, 07:20 PM   #4
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
Is there any reason to choose Kubuntu over Ubuntu?
For me, Ubuntu would not work on my setup (literally). While Kubuntu did.

I think my 8800GTS prevented Ubuntu from loading properly, atleast that is how it seemed.
Old 04-09-07, 10:22 PM   #5
ENU291
Die spammer!! DIE!!!

Send a message via AIM to ENU291 Send a message via Yahoo to ENU291

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
For me, Ubuntu would not work on my setup (literally). While Kubuntu did.

I think my 8800GTS prevented Ubuntu from loading properly, atleast that is how it seemed.
I did have a problem loading Ubuntu on a PC with an 8800 series card installed. With evilghosts help I was able to edit the xorg.conf file and finally got Ubuntu installed but ultimately backed off that Linux project because of Grub and booting issues. Now that I've read how grey_1 handles his dual booting issue (BIOS) I might try again.
EVGA 8800GTX; Asus MSN-SLI Deluxe mobo; Athlon X2 5200+(225X13/2.93GHZ); Corsair XMS TWIN2X (1024X4); WD Raptor 150GB HD; MAXTOR 500GB HD; CL X-Fi XtremeGamer; Xbox360 HD-DVD; Plextor 18X DVD-RW/+RW; Dell 2707WFP

Registered Linux User # 444118 Xbox360 GamerTag: StryderXx PSN ID: StryderXx

Quote:
Originally Posted by nVJoe
Gamers are the most unhappy and miserable consumer group I know of. Just sit back, relax and have fun.
Old 04-10-07, 08:53 AM   #6
Redeemed

Yeah, this turned out to be a rather huge nightmare.

Got Windows installed, all of the drivers and updates installed- and then went to see if my music would play- and it didn't! Not only would the songs I bought and downloaded from URGE not play, but also CD's I ripped to my computer would not play. I got an error message saying that there was no sound device on my computer- yet Windows alerts and such would play just fine.

And it is other wierd stuff like that happening. Like I can't get the Luna theme to work right now, so it looks as if I'm running a beefed up version of Windows ME.

Boy oh boy oh boy. I've thought about ditching Windows for a bit and going straight Kubuntu- but that'd mean I'd have to give up gaming. If I did that, it'd only be till I got my rig back up and running (just recieved the replacement mobo last night ). Not sure what I'm gonna' do yet...
Old 04-10-07, 02:00 PM   #7
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENU291
I did have a problem loading Ubuntu on a PC with an 8800 series card installed. With evilghosts help I was able to edit the xorg.conf file and finally got Ubuntu installed but ultimately backed off that Linux project because of Grub and booting issues. Now that I've read how grey_1 handles his dual booting issue (BIOS) I might try again.
I've never had a problem with dual either way really, or after I started using GRUB I should say. I HATE lilo. I just swap it often enough I got tired of booting off my win to repair the mbr.

@Redeemed - Whatchoo doin there bub?

Your supposed to have trouble with lin and praise win, you got it all bass ackwards!

Old 04-10-07, 05:52 PM   #8
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I've never had a problem with dual either way really, or after I started using GRUB I should say. I HATE lilo. I just swap it often enough I got tired of booting off my win to repair the mbr.

@Redeemed - Whatchoo doin there bub?

Your supposed to have trouble with lin and praise win, you got it all bass ackwards!
Yeah, I know. Now it isn't even loading into the Windows desktop. It just freezes at the "Welcome" screen.

I think that a lot of this is due to my copy of XP. It is from 2001 when XP was first released, and has been used hundreds if not thousands of times (It's the enterprise edition). I should probably just pick up a copy of XP Pro with SP2 and be done with it. But with Vista Ultimate Upgrade only costing about $50 more I'm wondering if that'd be wise. I don't want to go completely Vista at the moment, as I mostly game on my computer and XP seems to do that best. But I don't want to purchase a copy of an OS that wont be around much longer.

I'm half tempted to just stick with Kubuntu untill the issues with Vista get sorted out (probably the first service pack). By then DX10 games will probably be available (Crysis and others) thus providing more of a reason to go with Vista.

I haven't had this much trouble with Windows since I used ME. But even that was due to my own ignorance.

Old 04-10-07, 06:53 PM   #9
Redeemed

Hey grey- you're running a single GTS. How well does it game in Vista? I'm wanting to go SLi- but I can survive with just one GTS if I have to.

Does FEAR, HL2 (and all other HL2-related games), Quake4 and such games play fine in Vista? If so, I'll probably bight the bullet and get Vista tomorrow.
Old 04-10-07, 07:20 PM   #10
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Hey grey- you're running a single GTS. How well does it game in Vista? I'm wanting to go SLi- but I can survive with just one GTS if I have to.

Does FEAR, HL2 (and all other HL2-related games), Quake4 and such games play fine in Vista? If so, I'll probably bight the bullet and get Vista tomorrow.
I have great performance in STALKER, Doom 3, Prey, FarCry and the Unreal series. FEAR is much better with these 100.70 drivers + that tweak posted in the vista drivers section.

That said, there are still minor issues, vsync doesnt always look great, I understand SLI is still a bit slow in some games.

Of course ymmv, but it probably wouldn't hurt you to see how the next driver release is prior to purchase. I'm having great luck atm, others are not.

Either way, Vistas been good to me, no regrets atm.

Old 04-11-07, 04:46 AM   #11
Redeemed

Quote:
Originally Posted by grey_1
I have great performance in STALKER, Doom 3, Prey, FarCry and the Unreal series. FEAR is much better with these 100.70 drivers + that tweak posted in the vista drivers section.

That said, there are still minor issues, vsync doesnt always look great, I understand SLI is still a bit slow in some games.

Of course ymmv, but it probably wouldn't hurt you to see how the next driver release is prior to purchase. I'm having great luck atm, others are not.

Either way, Vistas been good to me, no regrets atm.
I don't know- I'm just tired of dealing with this. I'm figurin' my copy of XP is probably on its last leg (it is near 6 years old after all, very used, and also a "burned" copy- no I didn't pay anybody for it either). I don't want to purchase another copy of XP Pro as it seems like it'd be a waste with Vista already out.

The only logical choice seems to be to just break down and purchase a copy of Vista- wouldn't you say? I like Kubuntu, especially since I got the internet to work. But I also want to be able to game on my rig, which I can't quite do that well using Kubuntu. As such, Vista does seem like the more logical choice- doesn't it?
Old 04-11-07, 05:00 AM   #12
grey_1

If your having that much trouble with your old copy...shoot, I'd want to frisbee it too.

Personally, the more I use it, which is everyday now, I am really liking this OS alot. Very stable and very few game glitches.

Methinks you'd really enjoy it.

Closed Thread