Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-20-07, 05:47 PM   #1
Eazy

Default TwinView and games

Hi all!
I have just set up Twinview with a 19" tft (dvi) and a 15" tft (vga) on a Nvidia 7900 GT. Things is working great except for games (UT2004 and UT99). All games spans over both monitors, but I only want the games on one monitor, my 19" tft. Is there any possible way with some command to tell my games to only run in full-screen on my 19"tft? I have tried to run the games in window-mode, but then I get gamma problems (and some other problems).

Regards
Eazy
Eazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 01:25 PM   #2
hvengel

Default Re: TwinView and games

This happens on my machine with both twinview and xinerama when I run flightgear in "game" mode if I set it's resolution to 3200x1200 (IE. the resolutions of both screens combined). I can set my desired resolution in flightgear to be the same as one screen (IE. 1600x1200 in my case) and it will only use one screen. For many drivers in X hardware acceleration is limited to one screen if you have dual screens driven by one graphics card. This is not the case with the Nvidia drivers. So if the app does not allow you to specify your desired resolution you are probably SOL.

By the way I really like running flightgear spanned across both monitors.
hvengel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 06:28 PM   #3
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

You can create a MetaMode with the desired resolution on your 19" and set a NULL mode for the 15". The game should then be able to switch to that mode and the other screen will turn off.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 06:57 AM   #4
Eazy

I want to run both the game and my desktop with 1280x1024 on my 19" as that is my native resolution for my monitor. Therefore using NULL is not an option as that would always put my 15" off. I also want to have my 15" running at the same time as I play to be able to see what's going on in Xchat, as that is the my main purpose for using 2 monitors. But if there is a another way to turn off my 15" monitor and keep my 1280x1024 resolution on desktop and game while I play, I think I can live with it. Is there a console-command to put my 15" monitor off? If there is then I might be able to make myself a script to start UT2004 with.

Btw. I'm using Kubuntu (with KDE).
Eazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 09:18 AM   #5
laurencevde

with metamodes, you can configure multiple resolutions, so that when you're on your desktop, both monitors are on, and when the game starts, 1 goes off. read more about it in the Documentation.
If you want the second monitor to do something else, you can configure X with 2 seperate heads (basically xinerama with xinerama turned off). For that, you might want to use xinit to start your game on a new X-server with a different configuration. Then you can also switch back to your desktop using crtl-alt-f7.
laurencevde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 05:30 PM   #6
MCMcButtah

Quote:
Originally Posted by laurencevde
with metamodes, you can configure multiple resolutions, so that when you're on your desktop, both monitors are on, and when the game starts, 1 goes off. read more about it in the Documentation.
If you want the second monitor to do something else, you can configure X with 2 seperate heads (basically xinerama with xinerama turned off). For that, you might want to use xinit to start your game on a new X-server with a different configuration. Then you can also switch back to your desktop using crtl-alt-f7.
I am able to do this with metamodes and it does switch off the correct monitor and plays games on the one I want. Unfortunately the game opens 1/2 across (horizontally) my screen. Here is the entry in my xorg.conf

Section "Device"
Identifier "Device0"
Driver "nvidia"
VendorName "NVIDIA Corporation"
Option "XAANoOffscreenPixmaps"
Option "TwinView" "True"
Option "MetaModes" "1600x1200,1920x1200;CRT: NULL, DFP: 1920x1200"
Option "TwinViewXineramaInfoOrder" "DFP-1,CRT-0"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "DisableGLXRootClipping" "True"

I am using the 9755 driver on a 7900GS. I don't suppose you might have any insight into what could be causing this? Thanks.
MCMcButtah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 07:34 PM   #7
Cambo

Send a message via Yahoo to Cambo

I have my 2 screens set up as seperate X Screens. OK, so I cannot drag windows from one screen to the other, but I can play Anarchy Online on one screen, with Firefox, Rhythmbox, etc open on the other. Just have to move the mouse over to the other screen as and when required ;-)

You can use the nvidia-settings program to create a suitable xorg.conf for you.

Cambo
Cambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 04:56 AM   #8
Gumbo4711

Hi!

I do have the same wish: running _one_ X and _one_ KDE across both screens and have one game (WoW) running full screen on LCD1 while having browser etc. on LCD2.

Honestly I'm not really happy with the recommendation of running a second X on the second monitor. Under Windows this configuration works without any tweaks, why does it not work with Linux?

Regards
Gumbo
Gumbo4711 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-26-07, 09:11 AM   #9
Gumbo4711

I found a workaround for Wordl of Warcraft: let the game start in window mode, maximize the window, remove the decoration (by rightclicking on the window title) and hide the KDE control panel. That leaves me with a somewhat maximized game on on of the screens and the possibility to move the mous to the other screen etc.

But I can't tell if this works with more games - I think it depends on the game's ability to start in window mode.
Gumbo4711 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 03:50 PM   #10
Eazy1

I have been waiting for the forum admin to fix my account as it was screwed up when I tried to change my email and therefore my respond is a bit late. Even after two email to them they have not fixed my account, so I made a new one.

I had to skip using Twinview as it not yet is mature enough (compared to windows where I have had this setup for years...) and start using separate X-screens with Xinerama. I am going to miss Beryl (it don't work with Xinerama) but I rather play UT2004 on one screen than on 2 screens with the hair cross between the screens. One problem I had with separate X-screens is that windows opened on the wrong screen, but after figure out that I had to Click at the desktop I wanted to open the program on, most problems I had was gone. If you only got one program open on one of the screens, that program will always have focus (until you click on the desktop), and all programs will open on that screen. The settings for that you can change (if you use KDE) in kcontrol under "Desktop --> window behaviour" (freely translated from a Swedish KDE).
Eazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 06:15 PM   #11
alaric
Cyber Jedi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eazy1
I have been waiting for the forum admin to fix my account as it was screwed up when I tried to change my email and therefore my respond is a bit late. Even after two email to them they have not fixed my account, so I made a new one.

I had to skip using Twinview as it not yet is mature enough (compared to windows where I have had this setup for years...) and start using separate X-screens with Xinerama. I am going to miss Beryl (it don't work with Xinerama) but I rather play UT2004 on one screen than on 2 screens with the hair cross between the screens. One problem I had with separate X-screens is that windows opened on the wrong screen, but after figure out that I had to Click at the desktop I wanted to open the program on, most problems I had was gone. If you only got one program open on one of the screens, that program will always have focus (until you click on the desktop), and all programs will open on that screen. The settings for that you can change (if you use KDE) in kcontrol under "Desktop --> window behaviour" (freely translated from a Swedish KDE).
If you want (using TwinView) to play UT2004 on one monitor and still see (say) xchat on the other, then you can't run UT2004 full screen; it has to be in window mode. Therefore, in order for it to appear full screen, you have to remove the window decorations and have the window maximized on the correct monitor (aka xinerama screen).

The application that decides where a window opens is ulitmately the window manager. Applications can request some place, but the window manager decides where to open it. This surely has NOTHING to do with the video driver. If you can maximize an xterm window on one monitor, and one monitor alone, then the window manager apparently has the xinerama information from the nvidia driver.

I have been able to run UT2004 just like this. The trick here is to use devilspie. I used the following file (~/.devilspie/ut2004.ds):

Code:
(if
    (is (application_name) "Unreal Tournament 2004")
        (begin
            (undecorate)
            (set_viewport 1)
            (geometry "1680x1050+1680+0")
        )
)
This automatically undecorates the window and puts it on my second monitor by means of the offset (+1680). It is important to make that exactly the right offset, because a window manager seems to be more likely to use it when you do that.

Finally, you might have to tell UT2004 in advance what it's resolution is, so that it opens with the resolution that you use in the geometry. Hence, edit your ~/.ut2004demo/System/UT2004.ini and change the values of [SDLDrv.SDLClient] :

Code:
WindowedViewportX=1680
WindowedViewportY=1050
and to be sure.. the full screen values too:

Code:
FullscreenViewportX=1680
FullscreenViewportY=1050
Note that this manual editting is the ONLY way to get non-standard resolutions. Ie, if you want to run it at 840x525 for performance reasons (which is what I did), you can set that resolution here - but not chose it from within UT2004. In all cases, make sure that the devilspie geometry, the values in UT2004.ini and the actual screen resolution match. I have not seen problems in that case.
Old 05-29-07, 07:05 AM   #12
Eazy1

Thanks for you respond!

Something like devilspie is already built in in KDE, but running UT2004 in window mode give me problems with gamma, its way to dark and changing the settings in-game does not make any difference. I think your right about the drivers are not to blame for window behaviour, but with OpenGL-apps I think it is the Nvidia-driver or Xorg is to blame. You said it yourself: "you can't run UT2004 full screen; it has to be in window mode.". I think there should be a way to tell full-screen-apps what monitor you want it on. The screens are managed by the Nvidia-driver and Xorg, so I think the developer could solve this. Using extra apps to make this work is not the right step forward in development of Linux.

I will try out devilspie when I get some time over to see if there is any difference compared to KDE's built in window-behaviour control. It seems a bit complex for my tiny brain.
Eazy1 is offline   Reply With Quote