Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-07, 12:40 PM   #13
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Default Re: Nobody Wants EU Version Of Vista

XP originally had WMP9, if you install 10 or 11, you can uninstall and go back to wmp9

in vista it removes the icons

but explain to me if the program can let go off al files, why does it matter if it stays, when it takes about 10-15 mb of your hard drive space
Old 05-23-07, 12:42 PM   #14
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
in vista it removes the icons

but explain to me if the program can let go off al files, why does it matter if it stays, when it takes about 10-15 mb of your hard drive space
Evidently our understanding of uninstall differs.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 01:20 PM   #15
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
That's how you remove the Desktop icon/profile icons, I'm sorry, that doesn't remove WMP11 or WMP10. [I think]
Apparently the only person who cares that it doesn't completely uninstall all related files is someone who doesn't use Windows anyway.

Besides, I think there are other functions that may still use those files (like ActiveX components and even other 3rd-party applications) so it's probably not wise to uninstall it completely. iirc, even XP Lite still includes many of the files for IE and WMP because they are required for the system to function properly.
Old 05-23-07, 01:39 PM   #16
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

well WMP10 or 11 does get uninstalled on XP, and older WMP gets reverted.

I like WMP, for me it plays every single file i need to, before i used to be a big winamp person, but WMP never did bother me.

like i said, i have over 1tb of space on my main drive. why would i care about 10-15mb
Old 05-23-07, 01:57 PM   #17
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
Apparently the only person who cares that it doesn't completely uninstall all related files is someone who doesn't use Windows anyway.

Besides, I think there are other functions that may still use those files (like ActiveX components and even other 3rd-party applications) so it's probably not wise to uninstall it completely. iirc, even XP Lite still includes many of the files for IE and WMP because they are required for the system to function properly.
No, I really don't care, but I was making a point with this

What do you call a Media Player that is bundled by default, default associated, and fails to completely or usefully uninstalled (after uninstallation the WMP engine is still used for IE)? I call it a monopoly.
Old 05-23-07, 02:35 PM   #18
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
No, I really don't care, but I was making a point with this

What do you call a Media Player that is bundled by default, default associated, and fails to completely or usefully uninstalled (after uninstallation the WMP engine is still used for IE)? I call it a monopoly.
When it comes to monopolies I'm far more concerned about others that are government sanctioned and which provide me no choice whatsoever like the water company, the electric company, friggin' Brighthouse cable charging me up the wazoo because there's no real competition in the area and they do everything in their power to stomp out any potential competition.

In comparison to those, MS is a charity and Bill Gates is Mother Theresa.
Old 05-23-07, 02:36 PM   #19
Riptide

Who frickin cares if you can't "uninstall" it. As long as you can put another player on the machine and it plays your files WTF difference does it make. I've been using Classic for years now and I don't give a rat's ass if WMP is still on the machine. I don't use it. BFD.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 02:38 PM   #20
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide
Who frickin cares if you can't "uninstall" it. As long as you can put another player on the machine and it plays your files WTF difference does it make. I've been using Classic for years now and I don't give a rat's ass if WMP is still on the machine. I don't use it. BFD.
I see, because you don't care, no one should care.

I care about things like this, amazing what those 15MB of files can do on a drive with 1TB of free space:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS06-078.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS06-024.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS06-006.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS06-005.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS05-009.mspx

Old 05-23-07, 02:50 PM   #21
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Good thing I primarily use Vista now since none of those vulnerabilities affect it.

Of course, most of those vulnerabilities require the user to do something stupid as well, like visit a malicious website and click on or download specific content. Even the mighty Linux community hasn't managed to code a patch that addresses the stupid user vulnerability.
Old 05-23-07, 02:53 PM   #22
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
Good thing I primarily use Vista now since none of those vulnerabilities affect it.

Of course, most of those vulnerabilities require the user to do something stupid as well, like visit a malicious website and click on or download specific content. Even the mighty Linux community hasn't managed to code a patch that addresses the stupid user vulnerability.
I agree, however, just because a current vulnerability for WMP for Vista has not been discovered doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I posted those security articles more to support the point I'm arguing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princip...east_privilege

If you uninstall WMP then it should be uninstalled not pseudo-uninstalled but still runnable/exploitable.
Old 05-23-07, 03:10 PM   #23
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
I agree, however, just because a current vulnerability for WMP for Vista has not been discovered doesn't mean it doesn't exist.
I feel the same way about alien life in the universe and I'm keeping my fingers crossed too.

Quote:
I posted those security articles more to support the point I'm arguing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princip...east_privilege
Kind of like having a single door and no windows on your house. While effective it tends to eliminate some usefullness and niceties.

Quote:
If you uninstall WMP then it should be uninstalled not pseudo-uninstalled but still runnable/exploitable.
Have Windows Update set to check, download, and autoinstall. Even a computer rookie can easily set that up. Problem solved.
Old 05-23-07, 03:22 PM   #24
Riptide

Quote:
I see, because you don't care, no one should care.
What Ancient said already.
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote