Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-07, 02:28 PM   #25
evilghost

Default Re: Nobody Wants EU Version Of Vista

I hope you guys are running without firewalls too because they're an inconvenience when they start blocking traffic you want to permit.

Sorry folks, comparing the likelihood of discovery of alien life to vulnerabilities in Microsoft software seems like a poor comparison.

An uninstaller that doesn't uninstall is broken, period. Implementation of a default installed application, which isn't uninstallable, with hooks deep into the API, is an exercise of a monopoly.

I'm guessing we'll be discovering alien life soon:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-027.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-021.mspx
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sec.../MS07-017.mspx
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 03:25 PM   #26
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
Sorry folks, comparing the likelihood of discovery of alien life to vulnerabilities in Microsoft software seems like a poor comparison.
True. Discovering alien life is more akin to the likelihood that Linux on the desktop will ever reach critical mass.
Old 05-23-07, 07:09 PM   #27
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
No, I really don't care, but I was making a point with this

What do you call a Media Player that is bundled by default, default associated, and fails to completely or usefully uninstalled (after uninstallation the WMP engine is still used for IE)? I call it a monopoly.
no, you call it necessary component that other applications use as well.

parts are used by realplayer, quicktime and other applications.
Old 05-23-07, 07:13 PM   #28
Q

I'm on the same boat as ghost concerning Media Player. Why they package it with Server is beyond me. Why include anything with that OS other than the bare minimum? The more built in applications you have the more potential security flaws you have to worry about patching to keep your system tight.
Q is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 07:58 PM   #29
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Qlitchford
I'm on the same boat as ghost concerning Media Player. Why they package it with Server is beyond me. Why include anything with that OS other than the bare minimum? The more built in applications you have the more potential security flaws you have to worry about patching to keep your system tight.
Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make. What value is an uninstaller that fails to uninstall? Why even attempt to trick the end user?
Old 05-23-07, 08:57 PM   #30
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

The problem is that IE and WMP is highly tied to the OS, that´s why it cannot be uninstalled, uninstalling these can take the OS to an unusable state, I agree with evilghost that an uninstaller that doesn´t do its job is pointless but the average joe user thinks that if the icon disappears from desktop and start menu the app is uninstalled, I have proof of this look here: http://techie-buzz.com/technology-bu...player-11.html

specially this comment:

Quote:
thomas tompkins said,

Wrote on June 17, 2006 @ 9:33 pm

THANK FOR LETTING MEHOW TO UNINSTALL MEDIA PLAYER 1 I THINK IT SUCKS BECAKS IT SCREWS EVERYTHING UP
priceless
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 09:08 PM   #31
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfhound
The problem is that IE and WMP is highly tied to the OS, that´s why it cannot be uninstalled, uninstalling these can take the OS to an unusable state, I agree with evilghost that an uninstaller that doesn´t do its job is pointless but the average joe user thinks that if the icon disappears from desktop and start menu the app is uninstalled, I have proof of this look here: http://techie-buzz.com/technology-bu...player-11.html

specially this comment:

priceless
That literally makes me ill, especially the advice about removal of the security updates...
Old 05-23-07, 10:28 PM   #32
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Thank you, that was the point I was trying to make. What value is an uninstaller that fails to uninstall? Why even attempt to trick the end user?
When you uninstall an application in Linux does it also uninstall files that other applications might use?

Old 05-23-07, 10:43 PM   #33
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
When you uninstall an application in Linux does it also uninstall files that other applications might use?

If i remember well, no, shared libraries with other programs stay like in windows
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 11:02 PM   #34
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlphaWolf_HK
Well, WMP won't handle xvid, divx, mov, rm, MPEG-2 transport streams, and a bunch of others. VLC will though. Not only that but VLC doesn't require you to install codecs for anything. It has its own internal support for tons of compression formats and containers. For that reason, VLC has much cleaner playback than just about anything.
That and you can set it as your default media player (which I have).

It's pretty easy
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 11:03 PM   #35
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
This depends on if the shared libraries are provided by or depended by the program.

If the shared libs are provided, and other applications depend on them, then a dependency error will be displayed indicating that removal of this package will break other packages. The option is to remove those packages that depend on the shared libs provided by the package you wish to remove or you can forcefully remove the package inclusive of the shared libs (possibly breaking those that depend on the shared libs).

If the shared libs in question are depended upon by the program you want to remove then the program will be fully removed, inclusive of all configuration files, if the --purge option is given to dkpg (assuming we're using dpkg, not rpm).

Either way it doesn't give the user a warm-fuzzy effect while accomplishing nothing.
Old 05-23-07, 11:10 PM   #36
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
I agree, however, just because a current vulnerability for WMP for Vista has not been discovered doesn't mean it doesn't exist. I posted those security articles more to support the point I'm arguing; http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Princip...east_privilege

If you uninstall WMP then it should be uninstalled not pseudo-uninstalled but still runnable/exploitable.
This applies to any software, not simply that created by Microsoft.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote