Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-23-07, 11:12 PM   #37
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound
Default Re: Nobody Wants EU Version Of Vista

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilghost
This depends on if the shared libraries are provided by or depended by the program.

If the shared libs are provided, and other applications depend on them, then a dependency error will be displayed indicating that removal of this package will break other packages. The option is to remove those packages that depend on the shared libs provided by the package you wish to remove or you can forcefully remove the package inclusive of the shared libs (possibly breaking those that depend on the shared libs).

If the shared libs in question are depended upon by the program you want to remove then the program will be fully removed, inclusive of all configuration files, if the --purge option is given to dkpg (assuming we're using dpkg, not rpm).

Either way it doesn't give the user a warm-fuzzy effect while accomplishing nothing.
True , that´s what I mean but better explained
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 11:13 PM   #38
Sazar
Sayonara !!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ancient
True. Discovering alien life is more akin to the likelihood that Linux on the desktop will ever reach critical mass.

That's harsh.

Granted, I have feisty fawn and I occasionally dabble with it, but it's a bloody waste of time with all the tools I use and the sheer quantity of stuff that simply will not work at this time on ubuntu without some serious work.

I neither have the time nor the inclination to "tinker" in order to get things to work. Sort of why the N version of the os's are not selling like the bundled versions.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-07, 11:21 PM   #39
Wolfhound
Moving to new home

Send a message via MSN to Wolfhound Send a message via Yahoo to Wolfhound

Quote:
That literally makes me ill, especially the advice about removal of the security updates...

Don´t you know that if you remove all your Security Updates your machine magically will turn in a Quad Core SLI rig that will own everyones comp and your sexual life will be multiplied by 4???
Intel Quad Core Q6600 @ 3,4 | 4Gigs (2x2) OCZ Reaper PC-8500 | Gigabyte P35-DS3R | Western Digital 500G Caviar SE16 SATA2 NCQ | Seagate160 Gig 7200.9 SATA NCQ | Maxtor 300Gig SATA NCQ | Asus Geforce 260GTX | Samsung Syncmaster 930BF 19'' | BeQuiet Straight Power 700W | Cooler Master CM690 |Windows Vista x64 SP2 |Windows XP SP3 [Deceased PSU, no money for new one, stucked with laptop and XBOX 360]

Macbook Pro 13': 4gigs | Core2 Duo 2,53Mhz | 250Gigs HDD |geforce 9400M| aluminium unibody | Mac OS X 10.6.2 Snow Leopard |gentoo Linux 2.631 kernel

Wolfhound´s Brute: http://wolfhound77.mybrute.com
Wolfhound is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 09:07 AM   #40
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar

That's harsh.

Granted, I have feisty fawn and I occasionally dabble with it, but it's a bloody waste of time with all the tools I use and the sheer quantity of stuff that simply will not work at this time on ubuntu without some serious work.

I neither have the time nor the inclination to "tinker" in order to get things to work. Sort of why the N version of the os's are not selling like the bundled versions.
I hear ya. I first installed Linux almost 10 years ago and literally spent hours and hours reading through manpages to learn how to configure this, that, and the other. I ended up becoming relatively proficient at it and it was a fun OS to get your geek on. Ultimately though it didn't suit my needs and didn't run many of the applications I used so I found myself booting into it less and less. Sure it was free and it was a throwback to the days when you had to stick your hands ion the configuration guts of the OS, which was fun in a nostalgic sort of way, but the time commitment factor just made it too much of a PITA. The saying "Linux is only free if your time is free" is all too true. And, imo, all this niggling about security and uninstalls is really nothing more than that - niggling.

As far as Vista N, I wonder if Gates doesn't mind spending a few hundred million so he can chuckle at the folly of the EU over the whole monopoly bruhaha?
Old 05-24-07, 09:28 AM   #41
evilghost

Quote:
I hear ya. I first installed Linux almost 10 years ago and literally spent hours and hours reading through manpages to learn how to configure this, that, and the other. I ended up becoming relatively proficient at it and it was a fun OS to get your geek on. Ultimately though it didn't suit my needs and didn't run many of the applications I used so I found myself booting into it less and less. Sure it was free and it was a throwback to the days when you had to stick your hands ion the configuration guts of the OS, which was fun in a nostalgic sort of way, but the time commitment factor just made it too much of a PITA. The saying "Linux is only free if your time is free" is all too true. And, imo, all this niggling about security and uninstalls is really nothing more than that - niggling.

As far as Vista N, I wonder if Gates doesn't mind spending a few hundred million so he can chuckle at the folly of the EU over the whole monopoly bruhaha?
Oddly enough I can cite similar experiences with Vista and the fact that things like tftp.exe and telnet.exe have been deemed unnecessary and lack inclusion into the product. I guess that falls in line with "guts of the OS"...
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-07, 09:47 AM   #42
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
Oddly enough I can cite similar experiences with Vista and the fact that things like tftp.exe and telnet.exe have been deemed unnecessary and lack inclusion into the product. I guess that falls in line with "guts of the OS"...
telnet.exe is included in Vista. It's just not installed by default.
Old 05-24-07, 11:49 AM   #43
evilghost

Quote:
telnet.exe is included in Vista. It's just not installed by default.
I see. A telnet and a tftp client are not included, however, a media player is included with an uninstallation program incapable of actually uninstalling the application. I'll be heading down to BreastBuy today to pick up my copy of Vista.
Old 05-24-07, 12:03 PM   #44
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

God damn you are stubborn

Don’t you understand, wmp files are required for other programs to functions correctly. So completely uninstalling wmp will be a bad idea, because doing so you will break other programs, not only from MS, but other vendors as well.

Old 05-24-07, 12:04 PM   #45
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
I see. A telnet and a tftp client are not included, however, a media player is included with an uninstallation program incapable of actually uninstalling the application.
telnet IS included it's just not installed by default, as I already stated previously. I can't understand why they wouldn't install it by default though. It must be a real inconvenience and very confusing for all 3 people who use it.

Quote:
I'll be heading down to BreastBuy today to pick up my copy of Vista.
Don't forget to sign up for an AOL account while you're there.
Old 05-24-07, 12:09 PM   #46
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by nekrosoft13
God damn you are stubborn

Don’t you understand, wmp files are required for other programs to functions correctly. So completely uninstalling wmp will be a bad idea, because doing so you will break other programs, not only from MS, but other vendors as well.
Like DRM!
Old 05-24-07, 12:10 PM   #47
evilghost

Quote:
Don't forget to sign up for an AOL account while you're there.
My email is sexyjen105172@aol.com!
Old 05-24-07, 12:19 PM   #48
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
You've Got Male!