Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-22-07, 06:01 PM   #1
jboehm

Default Get DISPLAY to come up if device not connected?

Hi,

I drive a projector and and I need to know how to tweak my xorg so that the display will come up even if the projector is not connected.

With nvidia 9755, currently my xorg has two "Device" two "Monitor" and two "Screen" where the "ServerLayout" is "TV" Leftof "Projector". If the projector is not on during a reboot my x session is all messed up. The tv gets the features of the projector, which doesn't work too well.

How do I hard code the projector to the DVI so that the projector does not need to be ON during a reboot.

Thanks,
Jon
jboehm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-07, 10:55 PM   #2
laurencevde

Default Re: Get DISPLAY to come up if device not connected?

copied from the documentation (http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...DME/index.html):

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "string"
Allows you to override what the NVIDIA kernel module detects is connected to your video card. This may be useful, for example, if you use a KVM (keyboard, video, mouse) switch and you are switched away when X is started. In such a situation, the NVIDIA kernel module cannot detect what display devices are connected, and the NVIDIA X driver assumes you have a single CRT.
Valid values for this option are "CRT" (cathode ray tube), "DFP" (digital flat panel), or "TV" (television); if using TwinView, this option may be a comma-separated list of display devices; e.g.: "CRT, CRT" or "CRT, DFP".
It is generally recommended to not use this option, but instead use the "UseDisplayDevice" option.
NOTE: anything attached to a 15 pin VGA connector is regarded by the driver as a CRT. "DFP" should only be used to refer to digital flat panels connected via a DVI port.
Default: string is NULL (the NVIDIA driver will detect the connected display devices).

Option "UseDisplayDevice" "string"
When assigning display devices to X screens, the NVIDIA X driver by default assigns display devices in the order they are found (looking first at CRTs, then at DFPs, and finally at TVs). This option can be used to override this assignment. For example, if both a CRT and a DFP are connected, you could specify:
Option "UseDisplayDevice" "DFP"

to make the X screen use the DFP, even though it would have used a CRT by default.
Note the subtle difference between this option and the "ConnectedMonitor" option: the "ConnectedMonitor" option overrides what display devices are actually detected, while the "UseDisplayDevice" option controls which of the detected display devices will be used on this X screen.
laurencevde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-07, 06:08 PM   #3
jboehm

Its getting closer to being correct.

I added

Option "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0, TV-0"

to my "Device" Sceen 0 section.

This made it so that the DFP-0 didn't need to be plugged in for X to create screen 0, but it would refuse to set the resolution to be anything but 640x480. VNC would display screen 0 but the projector would not display it.

Adding this

Option "ModeValidation" "DFP-0: AllowNon60HzDFPModes, NoEdidModes, NoMaxPClkCheck, NoEdidMaxPClkCheck, NoMaxSizeCheck, NoHorizSyncCheck, NoVertRefreshCheck, NoWidthAlignmentCheck, NoDFPNativeResolutionCheck, NoVirtualSizeCheck, NoEdidModes"
Option "UseEDID" "False"
Option "UseEDIDDpi" "False"
Option "UseEDIDFreqs" "False"

DID NOT seem to help at all so I removed them.

I finally brought up nvidia-settings and saved the EDIF off to a file.

I added

Option "CustomEDID" "DFP-0:/etc/X11/Panasonic_AX-100.bin"

Now a 1280x720 X session is created on screen 0. VNC can display it BUT when I plug in the projector and turn it on I get no signal????? I'm forced to restart X with the projector running for the video cable to go live. Why does the projector need to be on and the cable plugged in for this to work? Any one no a way that I can force the cable live?

Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-25-07, 07:38 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

I'd suggest reading all the sticky posts:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-07, 04:07 AM   #5
jboehm

Please reference my previous post in this thread that starts "Its getting closer to being correct" for my latest observations. See the attached nvidia-bug-report.log.gz.

Thanks,
Jon
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (44.5 KB, 102 views)
Old 05-28-07, 11:04 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Why are you setting "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0, TV-0" if you only intend to use a single displace device?
Old 05-28-07, 02:09 PM   #7
jboehm

I'm not using a single display device. I have a TV and a Projector. I only use one of these at a time, but still there are two screens. Currently my xorg has two "Device"s two "Monitor"s and two "Screen"s where the "ServerLayout" is "TV" Leftof "Projector". For some reason X would not let me put "ConnectedMonitor" "DFP-0" in the projector "Device" AND "ConnectedMonitor" "TV-0" in the tv "Device" so I put them together in the projectors device section and it seemed to help. Maybe I should have put the combined statement is the "ServerLayout" section.

Currently the projector is on 0.0 and the tv is on 0.1. This works great except that the projector MUST BE ON when restarting X. This kind of makes it hard to do auto power ON/OFF management on this home theater PC.

Thanks,
Jon
Old 05-28-07, 07:37 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Does this problem persist if you're not using the TV in your X configuration?

Old 06-07-07, 04:03 AM   #9
jboehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Does this problem persist if you're not using the TV in your X configuration?
Sorry it took so long to get back on this point. Yes the problem persists if I remove the TV (device, monitor, and screen.)

Would you like me to post nvidia-bug-reports for specific configurations?

Thanks for your continued help with this.

Jon
Old 06-07-07, 11:29 AM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Yes, I'd like to see a bug report generated while the problem is present without a TV.
Old 06-19-07, 12:24 AM   #11
jboehm

Quote:
Originally Posted by netllama
Yes, I'd like to see a bug report generated while the problem is present without a TV.

OK, my sincere apologizes that this is taking so long. Attached you will find the nvidia-bug-report for a xorg.conf with all of the TV stuff commented out.

Thanks for your help with this. It is much appreciated.

Jon
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (39.0 KB, 82 views)
Old 06-19-07, 12:42 AM   #12
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

According to this bug report, the projector is running 1280x720. I guess I'm not clear on what problem I should be looking for.