Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-31-02, 10:16 PM   #25
elusive

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
GF3 will be able to handle doom3 with everything turned on at 30fps.

I dont remember there being a resolution mentionned, but i assume it is 1024x768x32
stop saying that people.

sheesh

he said this, How long ago?

i don't think he meant 30fps would be the lowest it would ever see either =]

30 is going to be average, not the lowest it will hit.

any lower than 40-50 in a slow game liek that is too low for me,

let alone, if you want to actually be IMMERSED in it, you should have everything all the way up, ansi,,,

man i can't wait.
elusive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 01:43 AM   #26
Master

I`m looking forward to RTCW based on D3 engine. Imagine castle&dungeon levels with zombies in this engine ! I am looking forward to this game since it is going to be scary.

I don`t care if it has some new style of gameplay or not. All I want is a long scary immersive action game. And D3 shall be like that judging from the screenshots and E3 video.

Don`t forget that music makes a lot of difference. Try playing Quake1 with and without Nine Inch soundtrack. Too big of a difference for one game, isn`t it ?

My only complaint is about low-poly models. Does somebody know for sure they`re low-poly only now so that devs can play it at more than 5 fps and they`ll be high-poly later ?
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 02:36 AM   #27
SavagePaladin
info*****

I hated quake 1s music, so yeah, it does make a lot of difference
SavagePaladin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 02:53 AM   #28
Master

In my opinion Soundtrack to Quake1 was great, I liked that music even separately in the CD player. Quake1 isn`t that immersive without that soundtrack.
But I understand that not everybody likes that kind of music.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-02, 03:19 AM   #29
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by Master
I`m looking forward to RTCW based on D3 engine. Imagine castle&dungeon levels with zombies in this engine ! I am looking forward to this game since it is going to be scary.

I don`t care if it has some new style of gameplay or not. All I want is a long scary immersive action game. And D3 shall be like that judging from the screenshots and E3 video.

Don`t forget that music makes a lot of difference. Try playing Quake1 with and without Nine Inch soundtrack. Too big of a difference for one game, isn`t it ?

My only complaint is about low-poly models. Does somebody know for sure they`re low-poly only now so that devs can play it at more than 5 fps and they`ll be high-poly later ?
they're not going to be "high poly." instead of pushing polygons, Carmack is focusing the power of hardware on real time dynamic shadows. and i think that's a great move. this will get the shadows out into the open, when hardware advances and the engine is licensed by other studios, then we can see "high poly" models. they're only "low poly" compared to what other engines will be producing at the time. a good comparison may or may not be the single player game Unreal 2, which should have some nice models.
Old 08-01-02, 04:01 AM   #30
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

low poly = Good.

The damn game will be computation limited and fillrate as well as bandwidth BUT certainly not triangle
Old 08-01-02, 05:48 AM   #31
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
low poly = Good.

The damn game will be computation limited and fillrate as well as bandwidth BUT certainly not triangle
how is that good? wouldn't you rather the game have high poly counts that may be unusable for now, but will be usuable later? Morrowind supposedly has lots of secret hidden features that don't work with today's hardware, doesn't it?
Old 08-01-02, 06:43 AM   #32
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

It does? WTF? I prefer Warcraft 3's graphics over anything like MW and NWN and any other game you throw on the table.

Oh yeh W3 is low poly.

Old 08-01-02, 08:32 PM   #33
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
It does? WTF? I prefer Warcraft 3's graphics over anything like MW and NWN and any other game you throw on the table.

Oh yeh W3 is low poly.
yes, i heard something about Morrowind supporting hidden future features either here, or at 3DGPU i believe.
Old 08-02-02, 07:53 PM   #34
Nutty
Sittin in the Sun

Send a message via MSN to Nutty

Quote:
how is that good? wouldn't you rather the game have high poly counts that may be unusable for now, but will be usuable later?
The problem with high poly counts in the doom3 engine is as follows.

The silhouette finding algo for the shadow volumes is done on the cpu. And it has to be done every time a light source that is affecting the object is moved. Increasing polys in Q3 only affects the GPU speed. Increasing polys in Doom3 affects the CPU performance too.

Also, for every light (and it supports alot more than 1 light as someone previously said), you have to perform 2 passes on the model just for the shadow volume. Thats per light! Additionally to this you have the per-pixel bump-mapping also. So we're talking minimum 3 passes per object per light.

So if you doubled the poly count, you'd actually get a 6 fold increase in poly throughput per frame per light. Thats why the models are very low poly.

NV30 will bring double sided stenciling, which will allow you to do shadow volumes in 1 pass, instead of 2. Which will be nice.

Nutty
Nutty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 08:27 PM   #35
DoinkyBottoms

Send a message via AIM to DoinkyBottoms

Quote:
Originally posted by [Corporal Dan]
GF3 will be able to handle doom3 with everything turned on at 30fps.

I dont remember there being a resolution mentionned, but i assume it is 1024x768x32
Speaking of resolution, what's with the screenshots all covered in jaggies? Looks to me like they were taken at 640 and then photoshopped bigger. 640 is not acceptable for a good gaming experience and neither is 30fps.
DoinkyBottoms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-02, 08:39 PM   #36
StealthHawk

Quote:
Originally posted by DoinkyBottoms

Speaking of resolution, what's with the screenshots all covered in jaggies? Looks to me like they were taken at 640 and then photoshopped bigger. 640 is not acceptable for a good gaming experience and neither is 30fps.
different people, different tastes. you'd be surprised how many people are too stupid to change the resolution in games or in older games, to use hardware acceleration.

"hey, help me out man. my new computer can't play CS@1024"
"what? what graphics settings did you use, D3D or OGL?"
"i'm using Software"
problem solved.