Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-17-07, 07:23 AM   #1
superklye

Default $100 off all HD DVD Players!

Quote:
From a Toshiba Press Release (12:02 PM)
WAYNE, NJ – May 16, 2007 – Just in time for Father’s Day, Toshiba America Consumer Products, L.L.C. (“Toshiba”) announces two new HD DVD promotions to help make shopping for dad easy.

NEW – Instant Rebates:

From May 20 through June 9, movie enthusiasts that purchase an HD-A2 HD DVD player will receive a $100 in-store instant rebate.
From June 10 through June 16, consumers that purchase any Toshiba HD DVD player will receive a $100 in-store instant rebate. For individuals seeking the complete home theater package, an HD DVD player can be purchased with any Toshiba 42" (measured diagonally) or larger HDTV for a $200 in-store instant rebate.

Five Free HD DVDs: Toshiba continues to offer its well accepted five free HD DVD movie mail-in offer promotion. Running through July 31, 2007, consumers who purchase any Toshiba HD DVD player can get five HD DVD titles for free. Consumers can choose the five free HD DVD movies from a selection of 15. This offer is available in conjunction with the previously listed promotions and rebates – full offer details are available at www.toshibahddvd.com.

I saw this thread over at AVS: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=848281

Apparently this will be offered in stores AND on Amazon! That means $212 for the A2! But it looks like the A20 and XA2 are no longer on Amazon. No product page whatsoever when I search. wtf?

EDIT: What the hell...I clicked on a direct link to the XA2 page from another thread and it came up, but searching for XA2 came up with nothing. Weird. Anyway...that'll be down to $476 or lower.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 10:53 AM   #2
superklye

Default Re: $100 off all HD DVD Players!

The HD-A2 was down to $237 shipped from Amazon yesterday.

When I checked around 11pm last night, it was back up to $271. Still a steal, though.

Now, if only the XA2 would get down into the $400 range...
Old 05-29-07, 02:33 PM   #3
Redshirt #24

Probably won't do that for a while yet...not until after the third-gen players come out, I imagine. If it gets close to $500 again, though, I'm probably going to skip something else and snag it...
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Apple 30" Cinema Display
CM HAF X

Ever notice how the more people talk about something, the more you tend to hate it?
Redshirt #24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 03:21 PM   #4
Ruined

The A2 and XA2 are both tasty deals.

The only downside to the XA2 is that it only decodes DTS-HD Core (cannot do lossless Master Audio decoding now nor will it ever be able to), though it can pass DTS-HDMA over HDMI bitstream to an external decoder. Then again, it looks like lossless DTS-HDMA is a beast to decode as even the powerful BCM7440 chipset does not appear to have the required power to decode it, so maybe it is a task best left to receivers. Or better yet, lets see studios just ditch DTS-HDMA for TrueHD instead

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 03:33 PM   #5
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
The A2 and XA2 are both tasty deals.

The only downside to the XA2 is that it only decodes DTS-HD Core (cannot do lossless Master Audio decoding now nor will it ever be able to), though it can pass DTS-HDMA over HDMI bitstream to an external decoder. Then again, it looks like lossless DTS-HDMA is a beast to decode as even the powerful BCM7440 chipset does not appear to have the required power to decode it, so maybe it is a task best left to receivers. Or better yet, lets see studios just ditch DTS-HDMA for TrueHD instead
I can't think of a single HD DVD release that has DTS-MA on it. Everyone I've seen is either DD5.1, DTS, DD+ and/or True HD.
Old 05-29-07, 03:44 PM   #6
evilchris

tEH cELL can do it.
Old 05-30-07, 03:24 PM   #7
Ruined

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
I can't think of a single HD DVD release that has DTS-MA on it. Everyone I've seen is either DD5.1, DTS, DD+ and/or True HD.
That is true of US releases, but many of the Studio Canal European releases like the upcoming release of Terminator 2 Extended Edition HD DVD in the UK use DTS-HDMA. And yes, those releases will play without any problem in a US player since they are 1080p24 and not regionally coded.

i.e.
http://www.dvdtimes.co.uk/content.php?contentid=62639

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
tEH cELL can do it.
I know you are being sarcastic but it is likely that the PS3 does have the horsepower to do DTS-HDMA decoding - the question is whether Sony has the talent to expose that power for this purpose. The XBOX 360 likely would be able to do it as well, and even the Toshiba HD-A1/XA1 would probably be able to do it since all of these players feature very powerful general purpose CPUs that can be programmed for different functions.

However, more standalones with more specialized hardware like the gen2 Toshiba HD-A2/A20/XA2 HD DVD and pretty much all of the Blu-Ray players are likely SOL because they simply don't have the general purpose power to decode it. For instance, the BCM7440 chipset which is becoming a very popular one for HD players on either side lacks the power to do DTS-HDMA and its not exactly a weak chipset.

The real problem is that DTS-HDMA is poorly implemented IMO. 2 seperate soundtracks, Lossless Dolby TrueHD 5.1 + Lossy Dolby Digital 5.1 take up significantly less space than a single DTS-HDMA soundtrack... DTS-HDMA basically has a lossy "core" (which is 1.5mbps alone!) and then a lossless packet to go along with it; the processor must not just add the lossless packet to the lossy core because if it only did that the artifacts and overlap from the lossy core would remain in the signal. No, instead the lossless packet essentially contains differential information that the processor must use to essentially "patch" the lossy core, changing it into the lossless file. IMO thats a lot of wasted space and processor time when a competitor can offer seperate lossy and lossless soundtracks when combined take up signficantly less space and processor time while being less "messy" to decode to boot.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 03:55 PM   #8
GamerGuyX

Quote:
Originally Posted by superklye
What was that?

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/hd...22c4d18e8835b1

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 05-30-07, 04:04 PM   #9
superklye

I wasn't saying they don't exist, just that I couldn't think of any that had DTS-MA. Dolby True HD seems to be the lossless sound of choice for HD DVD.
Old 06-04-07, 08:59 AM   #10
Redshirt #24

For the Texas crowd: if you're looking for an HD DVD player and happen to live near a Conn's, they're having a sale this week...the HD-A2 is $199. Might be a sign of things to come, but still...damn.

EDIT: damn again, but in a bad way--it was a typo. (Which only got corrected this morning, considering the sale started yesterday...)
Windows 7 Ultimate x64 | Apple 30" Cinema Display
CM HAF X

Ever notice how the more people talk about something, the more you tend to hate it?
Redshirt #24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 09:22 AM   #11
superklye

If they were selling them for $200 here, I'd buy another in a heartbeat.

I can't wait for the second round of this promotion so it applies to the XA2. If that thing gets below $400...I may just have to snag one.
Old 06-04-07, 11:11 AM   #12
mullet

Whats the best HD-DVD player out now?