Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-29-07, 10:53 AM   #37
Toss3
.<<o>>.

Default Re: I've got to admin, Sony's got brainwashing down perfect!

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilchris
I don't get info from magazines.
I do, because I can't afford the things they write about, myself...
Old 05-29-07, 11:00 AM   #38
sammy sung

Quote:
Originally Posted by crainger
Everybody, everybody, let's get into it.
Get stupid.
Get Kevpla, get Kevpla, get Kevpla.
Let's get Kevpla (ha), let's get Kevpla in here. Let's get Kevpla (ha), let's get Kevpla in here.
Let's get Kevpla (ha), let's get Kevpla in here. Let's get Kevpla (ha), let's get Kevpla in here.
Yeah.

Please stop ,i'm dying here
Old 05-29-07, 11:36 AM   #39
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthBeavis
I HAVE a Toshiba A1 dude (first gen HD DVD player - the lowest end). It is now collecting dust because it was a pain in the ass to use. God damned thing was slow as hell to use and buggy as hell. The 360 HD DVD gives just as good a picture and is way easier to use. If you walked a block in my shoes with this HD DVD deal you would totally see where I am coming from. I am not a fan boy of any paticular technology I just want decent HD dude. The setup I have now works well. Would a top-of-the-line HD DVD and BR unit work better? Sure. I don't care to shell out another couple grand for a slight improvement. As it is I am having custom speakers built (several thousand dollars) and am looking for a good receiver to pair with them (likely Denon). I am also looking for a sub.

A Toshiba HD-XA2 is $500, not a couple grand. If you think an X360 HD DVD addon even comes remotely close to it in A/V quality then you are a lost cause. The improvement isn't slight, it's massive. I've ran an HD-A1, XA1, A2, XA2 and X360 addon. I don't need to "walk a block" in your shoes as I've been further.
Old 05-29-07, 11:37 AM   #40
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toss3
I do, because I can't afford the things they write about, myself...
It's worse than reading about cars in magazines. They all have an agenda, are paid by manufacturers in free stuff etc..
Old 05-29-07, 12:21 PM   #41
Ruined

I have the HD-A1 and its a fantastic player. Its built like a tank and has outstanding picture quality in both HD and upscaling. Standard DVD players with similar upscaling cost twice as much.

Yeah, it takes a while to load but that has been reduced significantly in the 2nd gen which is available now for less than $250 (HD-A2). However, long load times do not make the HD-A1 a 'POS', it is simply one of the few CONs the device has.

Also, the HD-XA2 (~$550) does indeed smoke the X360 addon in image quality because it has a Silicon Optix Reon-VX video processor chip integrated for both HD DVD and SD upscaling which is much better than the software processing offered by the 360.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 12:32 PM   #42
superklye

Is the Reon VX for both HD and SD content? I could've sworn it was only used for SD content.
superklye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 02:27 PM   #43
superklye

The A1 does decode Dolby True HD. All stand-alone HD DVD decks must. It's a standard.
Old 05-29-07, 02:56 PM   #44
superklye

Quote:
Originally Posted by Butter Bandit
My Jeep is a standard.
I don't think I follow you.

Old 05-29-07, 02:57 PM   #45
superklye

Quote:
U picked one out of several requirements dude. A1 <> 1080p and <> operating like a standard DVD player (meaning lame operation). It is ghey to have company over and have to wait 5 minutes for the HD DVD unit to warm up and load . . .

A1 = teh SuX, if you think otherwise then you just allowed yourself to settle for lameness. If the later models have improved then great for them. It still does not take away from the A1 sucking. Does the 360 do everything? hell no. There is definately a trade off. For me the convenience outweighs cons. Once the format war is settled maybe I will pop for a dedicated unit. Until then the consoles will suffice.
Load times aside, why is 1080p important? You have the same TV as evilchris and he's stated on numerous occasions the TV has a built-in scalar or whatever you want to call it that takes 1080i60 feeds and deinterlaces them to 1080p30
Old 05-29-07, 03:18 PM   #46
Ruined

Quote:
The A1 is buggy as hell and I don't mean just bad load times. It takes an act of congress to get the damned thing to even play or eject a dvd. I guess I would consider a dedicated unit if it offered 1080p, TrueHD, and worked like a standard DVD player in terms of load time. I use my Sony 5 disc upscaling DVD changer for SD DVDS so upscaling does not matter (the only SD DVDs I watch are Taekwondo training DVDS anyways). I stand my statement the 360 HD DVD add on is superior to the A1 or at least equal to it.
If you find the A1 is "buggy as hell" and you have the latest 2.2 firmware loaded, it sounds like you have a defective or failing unit. There are no significant bugs to speak of with the latest firmware, and if you have such problems your unit likely needs to be repaired.

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-07, 03:40 PM   #47
evilchris

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruined
If you find the A1 is "buggy as hell" and you have the latest 2.2 firmware loaded, it sounds like you have a defective or failing unit. There are no significant bugs to speak of with the latest firmware, and if you have such problems your unit likely needs to be repaired.
Quit speaking facts...
Old 05-29-07, 06:20 PM   #48
Ancient
Occasional User

Quote:
U picked one out of several requirements dude. A1 <> 1080p and <> operating like a standard DVD player (meaning lame operation). It is ghey to have company over and have to wait 5 minutes for the HD DVD unit to warm up and load . . .

A1 = teh SuX, if you think otherwise then you just allowed yourself to settle for lameness. If the later models have improved then great for them. It still does not take away from the A1 sucking. Does the 360 do everything? hell no. There is definately a trade off. For me the convenience outweighs cons. Once the format war is settled maybe I will pop for a dedicated unit. Until then the consoles will suffice.
I prefer the 360 add-on connected to the HTPC. You get the benefit of good load times, PQ that easily can rival the best stand-alone unit, and fine-grained control of the picture and sound that a stand-alone can't match. The only drawback is that it's uglier than sin. Though if internal HD DVD drives ever come out in the US that will be a problem of the past.