Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

View Poll Results: Are you satisfied with nvidia linux support?
Yes 55 56.12%
No 43 43.88%
Voters: 98. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-04-07, 05:29 PM   #37
=JeffH

Default Re: Satisfaction / dissatisfaction with nvidia

Quote:
I'd rather have stable, solid performing drivers on two or three distros than unstable, flakey performance from driver version to driver version on every distro under the sun.
Agreed.

I'd vote for Ubuntu being one of the supported distros, tho ;-)

It is getting traction among my colleagues (protocol specification development) fwiw, and Dell's going to support it. (fwiw)

And yes, fwiw, I'm using it for my professional work environment.

=JeffH

=JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 05:34 PM   #38
kriko
openSuSE11

I don't understand how they should support just some distros - linux is linux, no matter what distro you're using.
kriko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-07, 06:00 PM   #39
grey_1

At the moment I'm quite satisfied myself. Movies and the few games I play on linux, no problems.

I finally, after ages of reading about it, experienced the black window bug last night, so no beryl for now.

Other than that, my only complaint would be the distros not including known needed pkgs for the driver installs, but that's not too difficult either.

Nvidia +1 here.
Old 06-05-07, 12:35 AM   #40
gtbrad

I am very satisfied with Nvidia drivers. But, that is not to say that there are not things that I would like to see improved.

1. A wiki of some sort just to give everyone a little bit of a glipse into Nvidia's world.

Ok, first this would be a good PR move for Nvidia, and it would create even more goodwill among the community. I think the possitive success that Opera has had with their developer wiki is a perfect example. Post do not have to be that often (every 1 - 2 weeks), but it really is something simple that helps the everyone feel like they know what is going on and that they are not talking to a corperate brick wall. Again, I think Opera has found it is better to tell everyone "hey, we are busy at work, will let you know when there is something new to talk about" than just staying silent.

2. A centeralized list of Nvidia bugs.

Now, for some reason no one ever wants to do this (maybe a lawyer thing, who knows), but to me, it would seem that having a list that everyone can look at to see if a bug has already been reported, or is a new aspect to a already known bug is easier than having everyone email the same old bug reports over and over again. Also, again it is another simple feedback thing, which tells the community that Nvidia knows about a problem. I know I have sent in many a bug report to places (none to Nvidia yet for the record), and I have really wondered if anyone ever reads them (althought I am sure the public statement is "yes of course"). I am not one to really care about priorities and the like, I just want to know that someone is really listening and that I am not the only one seeing a certain problem.

Now, I know that these things take time, and that things like a centeralized bug list would add more fuel to the bug bashers, but you know what, those guys are going to play arm chair developer anyway. I also think these seem to hit a pretty nice balance of public feedback, yet ease of implementation.

Lastly, one thing I want to remind the developers, I know we (the community) can be mean, outspoken, and impatient, but we only do it because we are excited about Nvidia drivers and how they make our lives better. I think that gets lost sometimes, but it is really a good problem to have, people really caring about a product and its success.

Keep up the good work!
gtbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 12:46 AM   #41
gtbrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by gmp
Pick a handful of distros, namely Fedora, Suse and maybe Ubuntu and explicitly support them as large players like Autodesk has done.
Um, I agree with making life simplier by not expressively supporting so many distros, but I am not down with the picks. First, the movie studios run neither Fedora or Suse, they usually roll their own. Second, like kriko said, linux is linux. Support the compilation of the Nvidia driver on a vanilla linux kernel and x server system and be done with it. Let all the developers who spend time creating their own minature walled gardens make it work in their flavor of the week distro. Just because a distro is popular does not mean that it sould be better supported than another. If you support the vanilla install, you let the guys that added the complexity, the distro developers, clean the mess up, not the Nvidia guys that had nothing to do with it.
gtbrad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 03:40 AM   #42
BrianzaMan
Dragon Flame

only problem is black window bug , for the rest the answer is yes
BrianzaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 07:31 PM   #43
noobiedoobiedo

Any nvidia driver I've used has been total crap. And the bits I've seen from "nvidia employees" here is total crap also. They seem to be talking DOWN to the customers (us) and like to pretend the issue ISNT with THEIR drivers.

Here's how I see the conversations going :

user : I upgraded to Fiesty (or whatever) and now I have issue XYZ
nvidia : oh well did you make sure your bios is the latest version ?

I've worked technical support before and I see what is happening here, they are trying to offload THEIR issues onto other vendors.

I'm sure someone will come in and tell me im wrong and whatever else, I don't care.

Nvidia is trying to shift the blame for their poor performance and the "employees" main job here isnt to HELP you but to preserve nvidias 'image'.

6+ hours of trouble shooting, installation of multiple drivers = no resolution.. thanks a lot nvidia !

(never buying anything nvidia again)

edit : I don't doubt for 1 second this poll has been rigged and nvidia has told it's employees to come here and vote in the companies favor. Ive seen this happen before. Companies are only interested in maintaining the illusion that they are helping their users.
noobiedoobiedo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 07:47 PM   #44
evilghost

Quote:
Originally Posted by noobiedoobiedo
Any nvidia driver I've used has been total crap. And the bits I've seen from "nvidia employees" here is total crap also. They seem to be talking DOWN to the customers (us) and like to pretend the issue ISNT with THEIR drivers.

Here's how I see the conversations going :

user : I upgraded to Fiesty (or whatever) and now I have issue XYZ
nvidia : oh well did you make sure your bios is the latest version ?

I've worked technical support before and I see what is happening here, they are trying to offload THEIR issues onto other vendors.

I'm sure someone will come in and tell me im wrong and whatever else, I don't care.

Nvidia is trying to shift the blame for their poor performance and the "employees" main job here isnt to HELP you but to preserve nvidias 'image'.

6+ hours of trouble shooting, installation of multiple drivers = no resolution.. thanks a lot nvidia !

(never buying anything nvidia again)

edit : I don't doubt for 1 second this poll has been rigged and nvidia has told it's employees to come here and vote in the companies favor. Ive seen this happen before. Companies are only interested in maintaining the illusion that they are helping their users.
Since http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=93887 is your thread in question I'm forced to ask how is performance using the 'nv' driver?

The suggestion of a BIOS update is completely satisfactory and reasonable due to APIC and AGP issues/compatibility/bugs.

I think you're a little jaded/upset because you didn't get [insert magical answer] coupled with your lack of information regarding the required Nvidia bug report as well as other detailed system information.
evilghost is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 07-03-07, 10:29 AM   #45
pianohacker

_Some_what satisfied. Driver-level support for GLX_EXT_texture_from_pixmap (and thus compiz/beryl) is nice, but the two big lingering bugs (that have affected me) are extremely annoying:

* The 7300/RS480 lockup problem.
* And of course, the black window bug.

Yes, I know that these are hard to reproduce, let alone fix. But the black window bug (to the best of my knowledge) has been around for a year.

Summary: The drivers (especially in comparison to AMD's) are pretty damn good, especially for linux. But it would be nice if we could see the progress of fixing bugs (ie. +50 on a bug database).
pianohacker is offline   Reply With Quote