Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Microsoft Windows XP And Vista

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 05-30-07, 04:35 PM   #1
Redeemed

Default Sound problem with FEAR in Vista Ultimate x64...

Specs are in my sig. I'm using onboard audio. All my drivers arr current, and all audio cables are connected properly. Here's the problem:

FEAR runs great in Vista in terms of FPS... better than it did in XP anyways. The issue is the sound. I'm using the digital out on the mobo, I have a single RCA cable (not a stereo cable, a single RCA male connection at both ends) going from the digital out on the mobo to the digital "in" on my 5.1 CH A/V Reciever. I've posted pics about my audio setup various times here so I doubt I need to rehash how I have this setup. Anyhow, since Vista doesn't seem to output the anolog 5.1CH sound correctly ( when using the 5.1 Anolog outs I only get sound from my front speakers, and none from my center and surroud speakers... but that is more or less a driver issue I'm betting) I'm just using digital out. That way, when I want surround sound I can just using Dolby ProLogic on my reciever. Works perfectly... except for FEAR. In FEAR I only hear the music. I don't hear any sound effects or any of the talking from the characters. This is the case not just in-game but also during the cut scenes. It's really annoying.

Movies playback just fine using WMP 11. DD and DTS work fine for my DVDs. All the audio works perfectly in every game except for FEAR. Does anybody know what is up with this? Is it a known issue for Realtek sound cards such as the onboard one I have?

All feedback is much appreciated. Thanks.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-07, 04:55 PM   #2
grey_1

Default Re: Sound problem with FEAR in Vista Ultimate x64...

Do you have the latest patch? iirc that was an issue when the game first launched.
Old 05-30-07, 06:18 PM   #3
Redeemed

Well, I tried the latest patch before, but that was over the weekend when I first started having problems with the internet connection. So the patch just might not have been "complete" if you know what I mean.

I just re-installed FEAR, and re-installed the latest patch. Have yet to try it out. I've been too absorbed by that "UN BANNED SMOKING" thread in the Open Forum.
Old 05-30-07, 06:24 PM   #4
grey_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redeemed
Well, I tried the latest patch before, but that was over the weekend when I first started having problems with the internet connection. So the patch just might not have been "complete" if you know what I mean.

I just re-installed FEAR, and re-installed the latest patch. Have yet to try it out. I've been too absorbed by that "UN BANNED SMOKING" thread in the Open Forum.
Hope it works for ya.
Old 05-30-07, 06:25 PM   #5
Redeemed

Just tried playing it again. Problem is still there. Any ideas guys? I have the latest patch. I'm sure my drivers are up to date, but I'm gonna' double check just to be certain.

Turns out Realtek has an updated driver for their AC'97 chips. It is dated May 10th 07. The one on nVidia's site is dated 2/15/07. Hopefully this new driver will solve all the problems.
Old 05-30-07, 07:09 PM   #6
Redeemed

LOL

It works now. I'm so used to just going to nVidia's website for all my drivers. Never thought to actually check out Realtek's site.

It actually sounds better than it ever did in XP. Not sure how or why, but my music even sounds better in 5.1 anolog surround, as does all the games in 5.1 anolog surround.

I'm now a happy panda.