Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > General Software

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-19-02, 09:56 PM   #1
saturnotaku
Apple user. Deal with it.

Question Drive Image 2002 or Ghost?

I'm interested in getting some software with which I can take a snapshot of a clean, yet updated, Windows installation so that in case of a mishap, I can revert to the image without having to re-download and install fixes from Windows Update.

I'm looking at either PowerQuest Drive Image 2002 or Norton Ghost to fulfill this need. I'd like to use this software to image both my desktop and notebook. My desktop won't be much of a problem, but since my notebook doesn't have a CD burner, I was wondering if it would be possible to have the software read my notebook's files over my home network and burn the image using my desktop's CD-RW drive.

This is the most important functionality I'd like to have from the software, other than that I'd like something that's reliable and easy to use so I can make image files quickly and painlessly. If there's any other software other than the two I've mentioned here, please let me know so I can look at it, too.
saturnotaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-02, 10:58 PM   #2
Matthyahuw

Send a message via ICQ to Matthyahuw Send a message via AIM to Matthyahuw Send a message via Yahoo to Matthyahuw

I use Norton, but JonathanM told me about Drive Image.
Says it can work from Windows, I don't know about a network read, but Norton is historically more powerful, you might want to check the spec sheets of both first tho...
Old 08-20-02, 08:48 AM   #3
saturnotaku

Yeah, I'll have to look at both boxes and do some surfing before making a final decision. Maximum PC recommends Drive Image as more user friendly than Ghost, but I need to see if the former supports imaging over a network, which I'm pretty sure the latter can do.
Old 08-20-02, 10:13 AM   #4
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

I've used Drive Image for several yrs now, and love it. I also justchecked PowerQuest's website and the latest vers of Drive Image does support imaging over the network although I don't know if its to the exist that your needing though.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-02, 10:34 AM   #5
monkeydust

I tried both the latest versions of Ghost and Drive Image 2002 and found Drive Image to be much more user friendly. I don't back up to a network drive, so I can't vouch for that feature. But, with Drive Image, you just tell it your source and destination and your computer will automatically reboot into a ramdisk version of Drive Image and make the backup. Very painless and user friendly interface. I've restored from images twice in the last month and they worked flawlessly.
eVGA 8800 GTS 620/1000
2 x 300gb Maxtor Maxline III SATA2 HD
Creative X-Fi / Logitech Z-5500
NEC 16X Double Layer DVDRW Drive
Lian-Li v1200 w/OCZ Powerstream 600w PSU
Dell 2001FP 20.1" LCD
3DMark06 - 8553
monkeydust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-02, 11:17 AM   #6
saturnotaku

Quote:
Originally posted by JuiceZ
I don't know if its to the exist that your needing though.
I have on my desktop a link to the IP address I assigned to my laptop. I can connect to my laptop through my hub and transfer files, etc. I want to know if I can use Drive Image or Ghost to run the program from my desktop but take an image of my notebook. From what I'm reading, I think I can do this with either program but I need to do a bit more reading.
Old 08-21-02, 09:55 AM   #7
|JuiceZ|

Send a message via Skype™ to |JuiceZ|

Quote:
Originally posted by saturnotaku

I have on my desktop a link to the IP address I assigned to my laptop. I can connect to my laptop through my hub and transfer files, etc. I want to know if I can use Drive Image or Ghost to run the program from my desktop but take an image of my notebook. From what I'm reading, I think I can do this with either program but I need to do a bit more reading.
yes you should be able to do that.
hometheater KURO PDP-5020 | Marantz SR6005 | Definitive BP7001s, CLR3000, BPVXPs
|JuiceZ| is offline   Reply With Quote