Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-03-07, 01:03 PM   #1
deubert26

Send a message via AIM to deubert26
Default GL gaming Trouble with P4M800 chipset

Hello,
I am having a hiccup problem in OpenGL games. The screen totally locks up for a minute or more, sometimes permanently (I can't even do CTRL+ALT+F1). Originally I noticed this in Armagetron(simple 3D tron like game) every few minutes, but then when I tried Openareana(Quake3 engine) it happened every second. So I would get a second of play then hang for a minute plus and repeat. I started looking into using NvAGP and noticed every time i loaded the nvidia module it pulled in the agpgart as well even if it was blacklisted(ubuntu). I now presume thats because the Via P4M800 chipset (PCCHIPS P23G) is not supported by NvAGP according to readme. I was however successfully able to blacklist via-agp and keep it from loading. This allowed me to get about 30 seconds of play in before it locked up again like before. I have tried several versions inc: 9631, 9639, 9755, 100.14.06 beta and have installed them via the nvidia installer and through ubuntu's package system, it did not seem to make any difference. So I am kind of stuck as to what to try next? I really want to fix this problem. Is their any chance of getting my chipset supported by NvAGP? By the way my card is a eGeforceFX 5200128MB AGP8x. I have actually tried a Geforece3Ti200 AGP4x in this same machine and it worked fine(with the legacy drivers) and have tried this card in another machine(agp4x mobo) and that worked fine there too(running quake4). It's just this particular card on this chipset that has this problem. I briefly tried to force this card to run at AGP 4x but got some errors passing NVreg_ReqAGPRate and also would prefer not to have to run it in a downgraded mode to get it to work. If you'd like though I can take a look again at what I was doing wrong when passing the options and try again. If you need any more information please let me know.
Thanks for your help.
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (80.4 KB, 79 views)
deubert26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 02:26 PM   #2
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: GL gaming Trouble with P4M800 chipset

The NVIDIA kernel module relies on agpgart.ko to determine whether an AGPGART backend driver such as via-agp.ko is loaded (see http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...ppendix-f.html). Does your problem reproduce if you disable AGP?
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-07, 10:34 PM   #3
deubert26

oh ok, i misunderstood... I set NvAGP to 0
verified it is as below:
(**) NVIDIA(0): Option "NvAGP" "0"
(**) NVIDIA(0): Enabling RENDER acceleration
(**) NVIDIA(0): Use of AGP disabled per request

$ cat /proc/driver/nvidia/agp/status

and now its back to locking up every second.
Old 06-04-07, 09:27 PM   #4
deubert26

Is there anything else I can try? Have you guys seen/reproduced a problem like this before? Is there any more information I need to provide?
Old 06-05-07, 11:17 AM   #5
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

Since the stability problems persisted with AGP disabled, you should probably check integral system components like the RAM, the power supply, the CPU fan, etc., to ensure that the base system works reliably. Problems such as the one you describe are typically caused by system-level, rather than driver-level defects.
Old 06-06-07, 06:26 AM   #6
deubert26

I just ran memtest on this machine for 12 hours straight and it didn't find any errors, so that would tell me that the memory, mobo and processor are most likely fine. Then I have used this video card in other machines and it worked fine there so that would tell me its not the video card either. Leaving only the software.

Would NVreg_EnableVia4x do anything for me or is that only useful for 4x cards that get run as 2x? Is there any other via specific options?
Old 06-06-07, 12:16 PM   #7
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

No, the NVreg_EnableVia4x kernel module option doesn't applied when AGP is disabled. Older Via chipsets had AGP drive-strength settings in the SBIOS that could help with signal integrity problems, but I'm sceptical that this still applies to your system; please see the README for details on this. Is your power supply adequate for the system under load with graphics?
Old 06-06-07, 12:40 PM   #8
deubert26

I think the one I am using is 400 watt which should be sufficient for a 2.66GHz Pentium D, 1 20GB hard drive, and a DVD drive but I'll try it with a 500 watt one I have just to make sure.