Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 10-04-07, 01:18 PM   #13
=JeffH

Default Re: "Hotkey Switching of Display Devices" -- testing results w/ 100.14.19 & 100.14.09

Ok, some results wrt the 100.14.19 driver on a Dell D820 with Quadro NVS 120m, Ubuntu 6.10...

Fn-Standby after boot using only builtin LCD (no external monitor VGA cable attached) yields apparently successful sleep most of the time (like 6 out of 7 tries, one of the tries the machine never slept although the screen was blank, no keyboard response to Alt-Bksp, say. Had to power off and reboot). Resume from sleep was invariably unsuccessful, with machine self-rebooting once, all other times it just powered itself off.

This resume-from-sleep-and-crash behavior occured regardless of whether I had, after booting, plugged in an external monitor and Fn-F8'd to-and-fro or not.

Thus, bottom line, for me, 100.14.19 is way broken and unusable, fwiw.

I re-installed the 100.14.09 driver (which I'd been using for several months, but'd never bothered to try hotkey switching with because AFAICT the README hadn't yet been updated and so I figured that hotkey switching was still understood to be broken, as AaronP had indicated earlier in this thread) this morning.

Testing with .09 results in hotkey switching between builtin LCD and external VGA-connected monitor to work (yea!) and also sleep-resume to mostly work. I say mostly because the first time I attempted sleep-resume after installing .09 & rebooting, it crashed upon resume in the same fashion that the .19 driver had, but subsequently rebooting and trying -- both before and after connecting external monitor via VGA -- was successful.

So, I am running here today (using the .09 driver) with display hotkey-switched to my external monitor, and plan to switch back to builtin & sleep machine upon leaving office (hopefully that will work, in the past it has been more dicey to do so after machine being up for more than just a short while, so we'll see), and resume @home, connect to external VGA monitor there, and see if it'll hotkey-switch to it.

More news later.

=JeffH

ps: it'd occured to me to try hotkey switching with 100.14.19 because the README had obviously been updated wrt this topic, especially on this page...

http://us.download.nvidia.com/XFree8...hapter-18.html

update: 9-Oct-2007: add link to AaronP's post to this thread.

Last edited by =JeffH; 10-09-07 at 07:55 PM.
=JeffH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 03:01 PM   #14
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: "Hotkey Switching of Display Devices" -- does it work in X ?

Make sure your distribution doesn't run any scripts that try to do anything to the GPU. In particular, make sure it doesn't run vbetool.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 03:42 PM   #15
=JeffH

AaronP helpfully said...
Quote:
Make sure your distribution doesn't run any scripts that try to do anything to the GPU. In particular, make sure it doesn't run vbetool.
So, hm.

Ok, it looks like vbetool is possibly used by suspend and resume scripts to save and restore video modes, but I'm not sure whether the particular subscripts are actually employed or not.

I suppose these are questions more appropriate for UbuntuForums than here.

thanks for the hint.

=JeffH
Old 10-04-07, 03:47 PM   #16
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

One quick test that you could try is to rename the vbetool binary so that it can't be found, and therefore won't run. If that eliminates your issue(s), then you know that it was vbetool.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-07, 08:43 PM   #17
=JeffH

netllama said:
Quote:
One quick test that you could try is to rename the vbetool binary so that it can't be found, and therefore won't run. If that eliminates your issue(s), then you know that it was vbetool.
doh! of course, ok, might try that with the 100.14.19 driver.

But the good news so far this evening is that I slept the system after using it all day (and leaving all my apps running), and it slept fine (after hotkey-switching back to the builtin LCD), and got home, un-slept it, and it resumed just fine.

This is with the 100.14.09 driver, and I hadn't tried renaming vbetool as yet.

=JeffH
Old 10-05-07, 05:41 PM   #18
=JeffH

More news.

Am still running the 100.14.09 driver.

So as I last reported, I'd yesterday successfully slept the system at the office and resumed it at home. This morning, I did the rename /usr/sbin/vbetool thing as a sort of an experiment, and then slept the system. It slept just fine (after having switched back from the external monitor).

I got to office and system resumed fine and also hotkey switched to external monitor. Very nice (although I sure as heck wish it'd worked this way "out of the box" after I'd initially installed Ubuntu -- my main interests are _not_ with hacking around with video drivers, but I digress..)

Anyway, so now I've been running for > than a day...

> uptime
15:29:11 up 1 day, 6:48, 1 user

... w/o booting in order to schlep the machine somewheres, which is very nice, since it takes non-trivial time to reconstruct my work environment and figure out what I was doing.

So, I dunno if I'll migrate any time soon to the 100.14.19 driver, especially since it barfed on me, tho I don't know if it was vbetool funkiness or not.

This afternoon I'll test hotkey-switching yet again and sleeping and resuming. Hopefully it'll continue to work.

I do have a couple of bugs wrt hotkey switching stuff in general to submit in the next couple of days.

=JeffH
Old 10-09-07, 08:14 PM   #19
=JeffH

Posted some more detailed info on my setup and how it's been working over here in this other thread entitled "Suspend/Hibernate - does it work for you?"

=JeffH