Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 08-02-08, 12:15 PM   #37
txf

Default Re: NVidia and XRandR 1.2

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheBlackCat View Post
Another month and a half have passed. Any news yet? Is this going to happen? Even a simple yes or no at this point would be greatly appreciated. If it is, is it at least going to come out before randr 1.3 is released next year?
Maybe they're waiting for randr 1.3? And they probably will only implement (or release) it some time after because they don't want to support prerelease specs? Its a bit silly....They haven't even said why they are/aren't supporting randr 1.2.
txf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 12:38 PM   #38
TheBlackCat

By the time randr 1.3 is released it will have been about two years since they initially promised to give us randr 1.2 support.
TheBlackCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 02:37 PM   #39
ledoc

I wouldn't count on any support, not even in the future. Like so many other nice things that are not supported by the binary driver, randr is an X/Linux/OSS technology. At the same time, the linux driver is a by-product of the Windows driver (do the math!).

So in addition to the fact that it doesn't (financially) pay for them to implement Linux-specific things, AND that they have other more pressing Linux problems, it would probably not even be possible or at least very difficult because the architecture of the driver is screwed up. Just look at proper XRender support. It is now already taking one year to get that right and they even wrote here that major architectural changes would be needed to get it performing. It's a Windows driver, after all.
ledoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-08, 06:42 PM   #40
txf

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledoc View Post
I wouldn't count on any support, not even in the future. Like so many other nice things that are not supported by the binary driver, randr is an X/Linux/OSS technology. At the same time, the linux driver is a by-product of the Windows driver (do the math!).

So in addition to the fact that it doesn't (financially) pay for them to implement Linux-specific things, AND that they have other more pressing Linux problems, it would probably not even be possible or at least very difficult because the architecture of the driver is screwed up. Just look at proper XRender support. It is now already taking one year to get that right and they even wrote here that major architectural changes would be needed to get it performing. It's a Windows driver, after all.
There is no reason they couldn't...after all they support randr 1.1. The thing about the driver is not that it is a windows driver, the 3d core is more of a generic driver that is portable across oses and as it is closer to hardware there is very little os specific code.

However the rest of the driver has to be written to use this core efficiently and that is what is missing. All the modesetting and display configuration has to be linux/*nix/X11 specific afaik. Seeing as the nouveau people got it running so quick (and they are working blind) I fail to see why it can't happen...
Old 10-16-08, 01:35 AM   #41
woelfel

Any news on this?
woelfel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 01:05 PM   #42
iva2k_nv

Somebody raised a question about usefullness of XRandR....

I see one big need for XRandr 1.2 support. After Xinerama phasing out, there is no measure that will support this requirement:

- Multiple monitor setup and a touchscreen on one of them

Example is a tablet PC connected to a (big) monitor when docked. More and more people use this kind of setup. More and more people use touchscreens. Hey, I want all my monitors to be touchscreen-enabled, and I want multiples of them. That makes me more productive.

Think of it for a minute...

TwinView presents "one monolithic screen" to X and all programs. It leads to the touchscreen translation to the whole desktop. So you touch something on one monitor, but the pointer jumps to another monitor. It is completely useless - the touchscreen does not work like that AT ALL.

It happens because X and all the drivers and software have no information whatsoever of monitors configuration. It is hidden by TwinView. This creates numerous problems that make implementation of the above requirement IMPOSSIBLE. Not difficult, tricky, but IMPOSSIBLE.

XRandr makes it POSSIBLE everywhere except NV. And there is no good alternative so far. Well, A-T-I comes close, they do support XRandr (I wonder if that mention will cause the message to be pulled).
Here's the link: new fglrx for Ubuntu 8.10

People, chime in with your problem : do you use multiple monitors? Do you use touchscreen? Is TwinView enables you or does it stand in the way?
iva2k_nv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-08, 02:11 PM   #43
txf

Nvidia have said it (randr 1.2) has started to move to the top of their TODO list and there is an article on phoronix stating the same thing.

Question is, why don't they get onto 1.3 seeing as it's going to be released this month or next. Unless of course they have already started work on randr1.2....
Old 12-13-08, 02:35 PM   #44
dillzz

Just wanted to chime and and say that I use multiple monitors with multiple GPUS. Xinerama is painful and slow. Twinview is not the best solution for a lot of people. At my current job we buy so much nvidia gear for multihead setups and are always looking for ways around problems. It is getting to a point where they are considering windows as the desktop platform and use exceed to get all there X11 display because nvidia doesnt have any "official support" and we always experience some issue with different driver revisions, memory leaks,slow 2d, font rendering etc.

I would love if xrandr 1.3 were to be supported. Having multiple GPU's is supported in this (I think) were 1.2 it is not. Should replace xinerama?

Specs
Quad core q9450
8 gigs ram
two 9600gt in pci express (Might sell for ATI if multiview matures)
3 24" monitors (Xinerama, NO compiz !)

Its pathetic that my old P4 with geforce 4 ti4200 runs better than my above system. 2d SUCKS with xinerama - X CPU spikes when moving windows etc. I am not complaining but begging for better support for nvidia. I am an advocate of nvidia at work and we took it to red hat to see if they can get some pull as well. With virtualization the way it is today - with 3d support now in windows with vmware we were planning on using that but cannot due to nvidia drivers. Its really a shame. How are vendors supposed to ship with ubuntu etc with no graphics card support? Its getting old, really fast. We have old matrox cards that run better 2d with xinerama and multihead!
dillzz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 01-13-09, 06:01 AM   #45
upstaked

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP View Post
The NVIDIA X driver does not yet support RandR 1.2. Support is planned for a future release, but no schedule has been set yet for when it will be finished.
Take your time nVidia, it's only been 19 months...
Old 02-10-09, 03:40 PM   #46
Neuro

Any news on randr 1.3 support? Or maybe just randr 1.2?

Please, Nvidia, you're the only ones without support for randr >=1.2.
Neuro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-09, 11:35 PM   #47
schomin

Yeah 1.3 would be great. As I have a two monitor two 8800gt set up.
schomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-09, 01:01 AM   #48
D2GLOBALINC

XRandR 1.3 will NOT support multiple GPU's as it was once going to do.. SO we are still waiting for a solution to this issue..
D2GLOBALINC is offline   Reply With Quote