Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-05-07, 11:04 AM   #1
physix

Unhappy Upgrading to Ubuntu 7.04 killed my nvidia drivers/Xserver (SLI system) - need help

Hi,

I am still relatively new to the Linux community. The last time I installed and configured linux was about half a year ago, and I seem to have forgotten everything about it. Let me describe my problem.

I had a running Ubuntu 6.10 that one day suggested to upgrade to 7.04. After a few days I did so. After the upgrade my Xserver refused to work. I googled a bit and decided I had to install new nvidia drivers.
I downloaded and installed the x86-1.0-9755 drivers, removing old stuff before like described in the readme on the Nvidia website.

The driver was installed and I chose to let it handle the Xserver settings as well. Everything seemed to work. After restarting I get the following error message:

Code:
Failed to start Xserver. It is likely that it it is not set up correctly
..and the X server output is as follows:
Code:
WW: NVIDIA No matching Device Section for instance (BUS ID PCI:2:0:0)
FATAL Error running install command for nvidia
EE: NVIDIA(0) Failed to load NVIDIA kernel module
EE: NVIDIA(0) Aborting
My graphic card setup is 2 6600GT cards on 2 PCIe slots in SLI mode. I guess the above error appears because only one card is properly initialized in the xorg.conf. I remember weakly that there had to be 2 sections in the xorg.conf, one for each card, but I cannot remember the exact way and of course I forgot to backup the old version.

I need some guide on how to get this running in general and how the xorg.conf needs to look like (structure and syntax)...

My system: Athlon64 4000+, ASUS SLI PCIe board, 2GB RAM, 2x GF 6600 GT in SLI mode.

Thanks in advance for the help!
physix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 01:02 PM   #2
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Upgrading to Ubuntu 7.04 killed my nvidia drivers/Xserver (SLI system) - need help

See the sticky posts:
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/forumdisplay.php?f=14
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-07, 02:19 PM   #3
physix

Default Re: Upgrading to Ubuntu 7.04 killed my nvidia drivers/Xserver (SLI system) - need hel

as I said, I followed the instructions. I think it is a SLI specific problem
Old 06-05-07, 02:22 PM   #4
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Upgrading to Ubuntu 7.04 killed my nvidia drivers/Xserver (SLI system) - need help

You've not followed the instructions as you've not provided the information specified in them, most notably an nvidia-bug-report.log.
Old 06-05-07, 02:34 PM   #5
physix

Default Re: Upgrading to Ubuntu 7.04 killed my nvidia drivers/Xserver (SLI system) - need hel

I created the bug report file, but I thought my specification of the problem was sufficient.... I'll attach it later
Old 06-05-07, 03:09 PM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

An nvidia-bug-report.log is always required if you'd like assistance from NVIDIA.
Old 06-06-07, 09:53 AM   #7
physix

Hello again,

sorry for the delay, here is the bug report and the (renamed) xorg.conf...
Attached Files
File Type: log nvidia-bug-report.log (142.3 KB, 121 views)
File Type: txt xorg.txt (5.2 KB, 133 views)
Old 06-06-07, 12:28 PM   #8
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Your bug report doesn't appear to capture why the NVIDIA kernel module is failing to load. What happens if you run 'modprobe nvidia' as root?

Old 06-07-07, 09:13 AM   #9
physix

"modprobe nvidia" leads to:

Code:
sh: /sbin/lrm-video: not found
FATAL: Error running install command for nvidia
I get the same (and other) error messages after bootup as "XServer output" (see above)
Old 06-07-07, 11:28 AM   #10
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

This is clearly an Ubuntu problem (and possibly an Ubuntu bug). You'll need to work with the Ubuntu community on a solution, as the NVIDIA driver has no awareness or dependency on /sbin/lrm-video.

The only thing that comes immediately to mind as a workaround is to check in /etc/modprobe.conf (or the equivalent) for any entries that reference nvidia and remove them.