Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-07, 05:29 AM   #1
InsaneRhino

Default FC6 Driver Installation Problem

I have a problem when trying to install the nvidia drivers on my new FC6 installation. When I run the driver instllation, after I agree to the EULA (or what ever agreement it is) I get an error message about. Not being able to find the precompiled kernel, and do I want to try and download it from nvidia's FTP. If I say yes it does not find anything on the FTP and just errors out.

Im fairly new to Linux in general, however I have read through the forum as much as I can, I have read the sticky http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=72490 over a dozen times, and run the commands and kernel-devel, xorg-x11-server-sdk, pkgconfig, are all installed, and when I run uname -a all the kernels are the same version and are all i686.

Im very sorry to post this, but I have tried to look on google as well as on these forums, but have been unsucessful. I can post the logs later on today as I do not have them here at work.

Thanks for any help in advance.
InsaneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 01:11 PM   #2
InsaneRhino

Default Re: FC6 Driver Installation Problem

Turns out I didnt have GCC installed so the nvidia installer couldnt compile the kernel. I now have a new problem. My monitor has 'Not optimum Mode, recommended mode: 1280x1024 60hx' message on the screen, however the highest resolution I can set the screen resolution to is 1024x768 50hz, I know the card is capable of a greater resolution as the default is 1280x1024 on the windows side of the dual boot.

Is this a known issue, or is this something likely to be caused by the monitor?

Thanks
InsaneRhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-07, 02:20 PM   #3
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: FC6 Driver Installation Problem

Its likely neither, but since you haven't provided the information required in this forum's sticky posts, its impossible to say for sure.

I'd recommend reading the sticky posts, and searching the forum for DynamicTwinview.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote