Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-06-07, 09:10 PM   #1
dolcraith

Default OMG nvidia graphics card corrupted itself?

The subject expresses my shock of my current situation.

My system has been running fine with a Athlon64 X2 processor and an nvidia 6600GT 128MB AGP8x/4x graphics card with the 9746 drivers. Card has been working fine for over a year.
Before hand I have had no problems with running opengl based apps or beryl. I recently switched to the suspend2 sources and haven't used any opengl apps since (coincidence only). Started up an opengl app today (wine-0.9.38 WoW) and the app loads fine to the login screen and then the screen blacks out and becomes unresponsive (couldn't get to the vts).

I do a hard reboot. To my dismay the video card's BIOS video out is corrupted. This is isolated to the card itself (I've tested everything else). My only thought is that the bios on the card became corrupted (I haven't had any cooling problems and there are no visible damaged electronic elements->capacitors, etc).

Anyone have any thoughts on what could've caused this/ how to fix it/ who I should contact.

Thanks in advance for any help/advice.
dolcraith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 12:56 AM   #2
Thunderbird

Default Re: OMG nvidia graphics card corrupted itself?

The bios can't be corrupted. Under normal conditions you can't write to it. Only during flashing you can write to it, if it would have been damaged the card wouldn't boot up anymore. I really think this is a heat issue. Geforce6 cards were very sensitive to heat. I fear that the cooling wasn't correct in your system case.

The only thing you can do is check if you still have waranty on your card (which I doubt) else you need to buy a new card.
Thunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-07, 07:31 AM   #3
dolcraith

Default Re: OMG nvidia graphics card corrupted itself?

Thanks, I was pretty much assuming there wasn't a way to recover the card, but I've been monitoring the card's temperature for a while before it died. The temp was always between 60-70C, never higher than that. Oh well.
dolcraith is offline   Reply With Quote