Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-08-07, 01:29 AM   #1
hadam

Default Six Monitors on Ubuntu

We want to switch over to Ubuntu from Windows on a few financial workstations. These have a Quadro Nvs 440 and a GeForce 7950GT which drive 6 monitors with a desktop area of 4800x2400.
It's important that there's one virtual desktop (so that the users can drag windows around) and we want to use beryl. Oh, and if anything crashes or misbehaves just once I'll get thrown out no questions asked.

Can this be done? I wish we could get rid of Windows here...
hadam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 04:39 AM   #2
aesaeion

Default Re: Six Monitors on Ubuntu

That is completely unreasonable. First stuff missbehaves under any system. I have yet to see windows behave perfectly so you are holding linux to an unreasonable standard. Second of all expect to use beryl which is at best beta technology and closer to alpha technology is just insane. Why the heck would you want to use beryl for a real work system at this point? I use ubuntu with a quad head setup and I would expect I could go to 6 pretty trivially however I just use regular xinerama and it all works just fine.

Overall it seems like you are insane and will get thrown out anyways since windows is going to misbehave at some point also. Heck eventually hardware will fail and that will certainly cause the box to misbehave and there is nothing the os can do about that one.
aesaeion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 04:58 AM   #3
FunkyM

@aesaeion: I guess trashing him does not help him out either.

On topic, in order to move windows around on all 6 displays you would have to setup a Twinview setup with Xinerama. Different cards can share the same framebuffer and sum it up to a big one. However, this might fail if you got graphic chips with very different architectures and the total framebuffer size might be limited.

Guess only an NVIDIA support guy can verify if the Quadro Nvs 440 (unusual 4 output card) and Geforce will do (on Linux) in such a setup.

For Beryl (aside that Compiz is more stable and has the same effects), listen to the advices and use plain Xorg with a regular Window Manager as that ensures a higher grade of stability then using the yet alpha state eyecandy for financial business.
FunkyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 05:01 AM   #4
JaXXoN

Hi!

I'm running a xinerama triple-head setup (4800x1200 Desktop) for almost
two years, now. Works perfectly stable since some 1.0-8xxx driver version.
There are also success reports with eight displays in this forum.
Howerver, please note that beryl doesn't work alongside with xinerama
(probably due to a xinerama related bug in the X server). Anyway, i wouldn't
recommend using beryl in a mission critical environment, yet.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 05:06 AM   #5
JaXXoN

Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkyM
However, this might fail if you got graphic chips with very different architectures
Right, 3D acceleration only works when combining GPUs of the same familie,
i.e. mixing a 7800GTX and a 8800GTX will work for most common desktop
applications, but OpenGL is not available.

regards

Bernhard
JaXXoN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-07, 10:13 AM   #6
netllama
NVIDIA Corporation

hadam, including the caveat that Jaxxon noted, it should work in theory. However, it assumes that the motherboard (and its BIOS) doesn't have any issues with the configuration, as well as the kernel that you're using can enumerate all the devices on the PCI bus, and not run into any resource or stability issues.
netllama is offline   Reply With Quote