Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-09-07, 07:27 AM   #1
Silverbak

Default Forced GPU Scaling - Refresh Rate Bug (or feature?) - Video Attached

Hi,

I will post a full log report later on today, I just wanted to throw this up here to see if there's an obvious issue here.

I have a 6800GT AGP card running 100.14.09.

My screen runs at 76hz, and I want to now use GPU scaling.

When I click on 'force GPU scaling' the NVIDIA driver then drops the refresh rate (immediately to 60hz). It does however do the scaling, and it does it just fine. The only issue here is the refresh rate drop.

Is there any reason why this should happen or is this a bug?

Here is the link to the video:
http://shezza.sdf-eu.org/nvidia.3gp

Thank you.

--
Regards,
Silverbak
Silverbak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 01:42 PM   #2
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Default Re: Forced GPU Scaling - Refresh Rate Bug (or feature?) - Video Attached

When forced GPU scaling is enabled, the GPU scales the screen to the native resolution of the flat panel as reported in the EDID. Your flat panel probably indicates that it prefers 60 Hz to 76.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-07, 02:23 PM   #3
Silverbak

Default Re: Forced GPU Scaling - Refresh Rate Bug (or feature?) - Video Attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
When forced GPU scaling is enabled, the GPU scales the screen to the native resolution of the flat panel as reported in the EDID. Your flat panel probably indicates that it prefers 60 Hz to 76.
Hello,

Thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Indeed, I downloaded the edid.bin and ran it through parse-edid and the monitor does report 60hz rather than 76hz. It's interesting as this LCD looks its best at 76hz however I suspect that from the manufacturers perspective, 60hz may contribute to a more trouble free problem shooting default and may increased life of the LCD.

Despite this, I can't help but feel NVIDIA's implementation is not quite the desired behaviour for most users. In my experience, most users set the environment (Xorg) at the resolution and refresh rate to their desired preference. In my case, this is 1280 * 1024 @ 76hz. If a user like myself wants to scale all lower resolutions that are used by applications to a higher one, I would expect my graphics card to upscale to the resolution and refresh rate that I'm using for Xorg in general, and not to what the edid happens to say is a nice safe default.

Aaron, do you think there could be a case here for requesting a change of behaviour to the one as I've just outlined? To me it seems the logical recourse and I wonder if you and your colleagues would be so kind to seriously consider this?

Thank you for your time.

--
Regards,
Silverbak
Old 06-15-07, 10:19 AM   #4
Silverbak

Hi Aaron,

I was wondering if you'd the earliest convenience to broach this subject with your colleagues?

--
Silverbak
Old 06-15-07, 03:45 PM   #5
AaronP
NVIDIA Corporation

Hi Silverbak,
Sorry for the delay. I'm afraid we have no plans to support this functionality. If you really need GPU scaling to something other than the flat panel's optimal timings, you may be able to find a program that can edit the EDID information saved from your display device and feed that back into the driver with the CustomEDID option.
AaronP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 08:12 AM   #6
Silverbak

Quote:
Originally Posted by AaronP
Hi Silverbak,
Sorry for the delay. I'm afraid we have no plans to support this functionality. If you really need GPU scaling to something other than the flat panel's optimal timings, you may be able to find a program that can edit the EDID information saved from your display device and feed that back into the driver with the CustomEDID option.
Hi Aaron,

Thank you for investigating this for me. I must point out that EDID timings don't necessarily = optimal timings. In another 10 years time I hope to be able to buy a monitor, and I'll plug it in and it'll just work at one refresh rate and resolution all the time, because that's all it'll be built for. Until things are that smooth, there is tweaking to be done.

Although I can see why you've implemented this reading the EDID solution (because it's easier to), I cannot understand the logic of forcing me to use a refresh rate that Xorg isn't currently configured to use. These kinds of design decisions and that rationale behind them will be amongst the factors I use for consideration in my next graphics card purchase.

Thanks for your time.
--
Silverbak