Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-07, 05:27 PM   #25
soopurman

Default Re: crazy colors! 100.14.09 with 8600m on macbook pro

THANK YOU Zander!

I booted with pci=nommconf on the kernel command line and now everything seems to be working perfectly as far as I can tell. (I was experiencing the same crazy colors problem and just lurking in this thread til now).

I have the 2.2GHz base model of the 15" macbook pro. I think that means it uses the same GPU as the 17" model, with just 128MiB vRam and 1440x900 native lcd resolution.

I installed Bootcamp 1.3 beta, rEFIt 0.10, Fedora 7, and used the livna repository for the nvidia 100.14.09 binary driver packages. By the way, I also used the atrpms repository for the latest madwifi prerelease drivers that get my airport connection working.

Even suspend / resume seems to work !!! :-D

Thanks again Zander !
soopurman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 05:38 PM   #26
dhess

Quote:
Originally Posted by zander
The Linux kernel's and the GPU's idea of the GPU's PCI configuration space setup differ; does the behavior change if you boot with pci=noacpi or pci=nommconf?
No, neither pci=noacpi nor pci=nommconf makes the driver work after booting to OS X. I also tried pci=bios and pci=nobios, and they don't work, either. In all of those cases, the lspci output for the video card is identical to the broken output I posted earlier (non-virtual ROM mapping and that extra "d3" byte in the hex dump). However, in at least one non-working case, the driver was sharing interrupt vector 16 with the usb2 and usb3 devices, so I think we can eliminate that as the cause.

I can confirm that the OS X dual head/sleep/wakeup/reboot process I described above is what makes the driver work in GNU/Linux. No special kernel boot parameters are required. I've repeated this process multiple times and each time I do it, I get working video in GNU/Linux. It survives reboots and cold starts until I boot into OS X, and then I have to repeat the trick to make video functional again. Weird.

It does *not* work with only the built-in display. If I disconnect all peripherals and displays, boot into OS X, put it to sleep by shutting the display, then wake it up by opening the display and reboot, video is still corrupt in GNU/Linux. So it appears to have something to do with disabling the built-in display and using an external one. (edit: to clarify, I mean that the external display must be connected while the built-in display is off while using OS X to make this trick work; once I reboot from OS X into GNU/Linux, both the external display and the built-in display work in GNU/Linux.)

zander, any more ideas? Is there anything I can do on the OS X side to get you pertinent info? There's no equivalent to lspci on OS X, as far as I can tell.
dhess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 05:53 PM   #27
chunkey
#!/?*

well, pci=conf1 or pci=conf2, but I doubt that it will help.
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 06:20 PM   #28
zander
NVIDIA Corporation

@dhess: I think we'll need to take a look at this locally to understand what's going on; we got a MacBook for this purpose at the end of last week, but haven't had a chance to install Bootcamp/Linux, yet. I hope we'll get to this over the next few weeks.
zander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 07:41 PM   #29
robbyt

Quote:
@dhess: I think we'll need to take a look at this locally to understand what's going on; we got a MacBook for this purpose at the end of last week, but haven't had a chance to install Bootcamp/Linux, yet. I hope we'll get to this over the next few weeks.
you don't actually need to install bootcamp or refit to dual boot a mac. just re-install os x and when you do- repartition the HD first, leave some free space for linux, and then install the linux distro of choice onto the unused space.

Then when your mac book boots, hold the option key, and select "windows" to boot from the MBR.
robbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-07, 10:21 PM   #30
dhess

Quote:
OK, thanks. Let me know if you have something for me to test. I have a developer account at developer.nvidia.com. I can submit a bug report there if it helps. Getting the driver working reliably is a pretty high priority for me.

thanks
d
Old 06-18-07, 08:40 AM   #31
blk

no luck with pci=nommconf and pci=noacpi
here's a
link to my bug report (i'd already posted it in another thread which as it turned out was a different issue)

not sure if it's needed, i'm sure all other macbook pros with nvidia cards get the same..
blk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 05:51 PM   #32
dhess

A pre-release 100.14.11 build was posted on my developer site today. It did work briefly on my MacBook Pro 17" after I started X with .09 (broken video), stopped X, loaded .11 and re-started X. I rebooted and got mostly-working video with a distorted hardware cursor and some a few other icons and fonts, but after a cold restart, I'm back to the same behavior as .09.

FYI.

d

Old 06-19-07, 07:58 PM   #33
robbyt

Quote:
Originally Posted by dhess
A pre-release 100.14.11 build was posted on my developer site today. It did work briefly on my MacBook Pro 17" after I started X with .09 (broken video), stopped X, loaded .11 and re-started X. I rebooted and got mostly-working video with a distorted hardware cursor and some a few other icons and fonts, but after a cold restart, I'm back to the same behavior as .09.

FYI.

d
do you need anymore help testing anything? Do you think this problem has something to do with the 4gb himem split stuff?
robbyt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-07, 08:38 PM   #34
dhess

Thanks for the offer, but short of debugging the BIOS, driver and/or kernel, I'm not sure there's much any of us outside of NVIDIA or Apple can do.

The problem I'm having isn't related to highmem, because I'm running a 64-bit kernel. I don't think it has anything to do with the 4GB upgrade I did, either, because the driver wasn't working before the upgrade.
Old 06-20-07, 07:04 AM   #35
blk

best would be for an nVidia linux guy to get one of those new MBP's (good hardware anyway )

could we have a semi-official statement about weather this is gonna be fixed (or at least examined) in a future (preferably the next) driver release, please.
the fact that .11 at least somehow worked is encouraging.

do the drivers work when running on x86?

if there's anything i can do (beta testing included, i love that ) post here or PM me.
Old 06-21-07, 02:34 PM   #36
blk

still no luck with 100.14.11 on the Macbook Pro.. bugreport is attached if it helps.
on 16bpp cursor is visible but a bit ugly
on 32bpp cursor is invisible

totally different question: when configuring the kernel, do i need AGPGART for PCI-X? (i think it's needed for mem. management and isn't really AGP-specific - "dmesg | grep AGP" at lest tells me it mapped 256Mb of VRAM)
do i need CONFIG_DRI for the binary nvidia driver?
Attached Files
File Type: gz nvidia-bug-report.log.gz (23.2 KB, 217 views)