Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-26-07, 07:25 AM   #37
idmnified

Default Re: crazy colors! 100.14.09 with 8600m on macbook pro

same problem as has been mentioned already here. I got a macbook pro with the nvidia 8600m and it doesn't work. Tested with a couple of kernels with the last xserver and it displays weird colours when using the "nvidia" driver. For the "nv" it doesn't found usable screens and for the "vesa" it hangs up.
I'll try to configure and change the specific settings the driver faq mentions for the 'xorg.conf' file.

If you think i'd be more specific, i'll post the logs and all that, but i think we all are having the same problem...!
idmnified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 11:40 AM   #38
blk

did you try on a 32 (x86) or 64bit (amd64) kernel? i only tried 64 (custom compiled)

i also tried the git version (2.10) of the open NV driver but also no luck
blk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 07:48 PM   #39
brtnrdr

It kind of seems that nvidia has abandoned this issue. Has anyone made any progress getting the nvida driver to work on the new macbook pro in the mean time?

Thanks.
brtnrdr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 11:38 PM   #40
noigmn
Your friendly sociopath

I've only got vesa drivers working on mine. With NVidia I get the crazy colors also. It's the 128MB 8600m, 15" macbook.

Do people have any leads on what is causing it? Like has anyone got these problems on a single boot linux machine or only with refit and dual boot?

I think it is more in Apple's interest than NVidia's to fix this problem. I know a lot of people have bought mactels as an alternative to a pc with the belief that they will be able to run linux. The older models could run the mac version of linux, but with the switch to intel they have removed that option, so really should make sure the macbooks they release are compatible with x86 versions of linux.

It feels like the macbooks have been undertested, and there isn't enough native intel osx software around to use on them, but they can't run other operating systems properly to make up for the problem. They really need to realise that no one wants to buy a beautiful new computer with great specs that borders on useless except for doing a few basic tasks that any far slower computer could do anyway. They say they are in touch with customers. At the moment I'm feeling that even microsoft would care more about what they released. I'll also note that all support on the apple website is for the older macbooks and there is not a section to do with the new ones. All in all its a pretty lazy effort.

Will be eternally grateful to whoever can fix this problem and make my macbook more useful.
noigmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-07, 11:45 PM   #41
noigmn
Your friendly sociopath

I was using 32 bit alternative CD of feisty also if that is useful. And tested with 100.14.09 drivers, havent tried 100.14.11. I can't give a bug report because I have formatted and gone back to a single OSX partition since.
Old 06-27-07, 08:16 AM   #42
idmnified

completely agree with noigmn.

about the 32 bit version i'll have to check it, although i'm tired after reinstalling kernels, adding and removing modules, gettint the right sources.. if i get something i'll post it here.

Anyways it seems - from a more-or-less-newbie's point of view - that the weird colours appear due to a bad depth config, or maybe some issue related to the frame buffer, or the lut and all that...
Old 06-27-07, 09:09 AM   #43
idmnified

is there any possibility if anyone who got his macbook pro 15" with the nvidia card running with the vesa driver okay, post his xorg.conf? I've tried running the 'dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xorg' for twice without luck. Any advice in what modules must be in and must be out of the xorg.conf file? Refresh rate(60?), use of buffer, etc...?

Still not tested with a 32 bit kernel, and btw, i've just tried debian atm, although it doesn't make any difference to any other distros.
Old 06-27-07, 09:41 PM   #44
noigmn
Your friendly sociopath

With kubuntu feisty 32 bit kernel I got vesa pretty much working out of the box. Just booted to console and changed nv to vesa in the xorg.conf. I used the alternative install cd though because you can use text mode so dont need to worry about graphics settings on the installer. Text mode install will do a fully (or almost fully) automated install for you the same as the live cd. Make sure grub writes MBR to the linux partition also if you are triple booting.

I'm guessing it should be the same for gnome version of Ubuntu. 64 bit I don't know. I tried Sabayon live cd 64 bit and couldnt get it to launch the graphics when the installer needed to, even after following instructions from many sites on the net.

Old 06-28-07, 12:05 PM   #45
idmnified

omfg. today i just tried with the testing distro of debian (im so retarded i thought i was using the testing one, wrong..) and same results.
I'll give it an almost-last try with the 32 bit version of the testing distro, and if it works i'll post.. if not i'll try the ubuntu distro, and well, let's see if anyone gets any result.. i cross my fingers all day.
Old 06-29-07, 03:33 AM   #46
psc80

Send a message via ICQ to psc80 Send a message via MSN to psc80

I have tried last version driver 100.11.14 on gentoo linux 32 bits, and it does not work. Color very strange with cursor like a square. And crash after some minutes. Is there anythings to help in order it works on this hardware ?

I saw on other forum that in the developpement branch of alsa sound work on this hardware. If it can help people frustrated to not have sound.
psc80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 04:24 PM   #47
Chem

Quote:
Originally Posted by psc80
I saw on other forum that in the developpement branch of alsa sound work on this hardware. If it can help people frustrated to not have sound.
I haven't seen any confirmed report of functional sound in linux with a new santa rosa macbook pro. Even people who recompiled from the alsa cvs. Can you provide a link? Thanks...

On the video front, I have seen mixed reports. Does more than one person here claim to have the binary nvidia drivers working in fedora or ubuntu? This is pretty much make-or-break using a MBP in linux.
Chem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 09:53 PM   #48
pepe#

More than one? *reading thread again*

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...9&postcount=21
http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/show...9&postcount=26

Whew. This is confirmed with my very own MBP.

- all patched OSX
- debian unstable with vanilla 2.6.22-rc6
- mactel-linux patches(only if you want sensors)
- current 100.11.14 driver
- 7350 FPS in glxgears
- dvi out works, but with much less qualitiy than in OSX

I'm not going to boot OSX any time soon, thats for sure

Note the external keyboard. You can not open the lid, OSX will wake up and re-init the displays.

Now, someone tell me how to get alsa working?
http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.alsa.user/27708

Let's hope the alsa-people can come up with something..

nvidia-people: THANKS for the driver. Could be open source, could be working out of the box with many more people helping in development and not wasting time with the nv-driver. But at least the card works *somehow*. Very nice. Thanks.

nv still gives blank screen btw, vesa always worked for me but no 2d-accel.

Can anyone help with adjusting display brightness?
pepe# is offline   Reply With Quote