Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 07-01-07, 11:01 PM   #49
noigmn
Your friendly sociopath

Default Re: crazy colors! 100.14.09 with 8600m on macbook pro

I was just thinking today that it is quite convenient that whenever something doesn't work on an Apple they just don't acknowledge and keep spinning the same we have the best operating system and consider the users carp. That is until it has any effect publically. And then the people who disagree with them are called microsoft lovers. I'm not saying my Mactoaster Pro isn't a nice computer, just that they should have some consideration for their users who want to use their computer for more advanced things, as well as making it easy for the ones who just want to word process. After using OSX for about a month now I am quite positive that my linux system on my old 2.6G P4 runs faster, is easier to use and is more efficient than OSX on a core2duo with nvidia 8600m. And apt-get is a lot easier way to get software installed and the software is good and free.

I've come to the conclusion that I won't be able to run linux properly for a while on my Macbook Pro so figure I may as well vent so others don't end up buying one under false assumptions.

MacBook Pro
-------------
Standard operating temperature when placed on a surface idle: 46-50C
Standard operating temperature of graphics card idle: 55-60C
Operating temperature when in use of games: I saw 76C after a few mins
Windows support for shared graphics memory: out of box
Linux support for shared graphics memory: out of box + nvidia drivers installed
OSX support for shared graphics memory: Non-existent
Support for intel CPU on programs in OSX: ordinary, all new programs run natively anything older doesn't
VM applications for OSX: slow down system, quite annoying
Dual boot with rEFIt: quite nice, but windows went unstable due to APM and linux won't do sound or graphics.
X system on OSX: osx provides X windows but it is a bit slow and clunky. Some people got KDE working which is nice.

Apart from most of that I'm quite happy with my Macbook Pro. If they fix the things I listed I will be a very happy customer. I still think all this should've happened before they went on sale though.
noigmn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 11:10 PM   #50
noigmn
Your friendly sociopath

thanks for the info pepe. Are you saying NVidia driver is working on yours?

Can you give a detailed list of what you did to get it working. I saw what you linked to but it would be nice to have it summarised.
Old 07-01-07, 11:37 PM   #51
pepe#

> I saw what you linked to but it would be nice to have it summarised.

- boot osx
- attach 2nd screen, activate output to screen
- attach external keyboard
- close lid, press key to let the mb wake up again
- the osx taskbar thingy is now on the 2nd screen, the internal display is switched off
- open lid again, internal display stays off (<- step probably not needed..)
- restart OSX via 2nd display controls
- boot linux, embrace your working nvidia driver
- start writing a kernel modules for display backlight and sound

It persists through power cycle. But the next time you boot OSX(or windows?), you will need to repeat the procedure.
pepe# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-07, 11:55 PM   #52
Chem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe#
Heh. Nothing like a little humor, linking to the exact same post twice

Quote:
- debian unstable with vanilla 2.6.22-rc6
- mactel-linux patches(only if you want sensors)

Note the external keyboard. You can not open the lid, OSX will wake up and re-init the displays.

Well, thanks for your report. Have you tried ubuntu or FC7? Also, I wonder why the mactel-linux patches aren't in the mainline kernel yet. It seems like that would help a lot of people. Are they in the kernel of any distro?

For your lighting issues, have you tried the pommed package (v 1.7)? Or are you talking about something else?

So -- your nvidia works until you reboot, then you have to go through that really overly complicated boot process again. And you must have an external display and keyboard? At least it's partially working. Hopefully soon to be fully working For a laptop, which will be used while, you know, not in the home or office... those external keyboard and displays will not usually be available
Chem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 12:24 AM   #53
pepe#

> Nothing like a little humor, linking to the exact same post twice

ops...well, posts in this thread are numbered, number 21 and 26 are (were) relevant..

> Have you tried ubuntu or FC7?

Have you tried debian? :-P

> have you tried the pommed package (v 1.7)?

Pommed adjusts keyboard only, backlight is a dummy as there is no mechanism yet..

> So -- your nvidia works until you reboot

...into OSX. Not going to happen. Especially not during office hours.

Just tried, the driver also worked after booting Windows. So it should be possible to sustain this through multiple office hours.

Well, it's 6am here in germany, first neighbors are waking up... time to get some sleep...

BTW, suspend to ram works, but the display needs reinit. vbetool didn't seem to help. Anyone?
Old 07-02-07, 12:37 AM   #54
noigmn
Your friendly sociopath

Would be interesting to know how the procedure changes the state of the machine. Seems that there might be a hardware setting associated with it that OSX initialises but the linux driver is unaware of. Maybe something Apple added to improve power management or something in OSX. As I said before some input from Apple on this would be nice. Has anyone contacted their tech people?

Is it possible to write a script in OSX that will simulate this also? to do something like: switch to external monitor and keyboard, sleep, wake, reboot.
Old 07-02-07, 10:16 AM   #55
idmnified

i love you pepe
i finally installed the feisty thingy and the installation was reaally soft.. and with vesa working.

but after reading the post of pepe i'll try debian once again, for sure, thank you man!!

by the way, when installing with debian, did it detect you network card? Because the only it WANTED to detect was the firewire port and adapt it with the eth1394, which obviously conflicts after the installation if you want to add the sky2 module.

It seems we are wasting too many hours on this, and leaving our respective real work apart. It's a shame..!
idmnified is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-07, 10:21 AM   #56
Chem

Quote:
Originally Posted by idmnified
It seems we are wasting too many hours on this, and leaving our respective real work apart. It's a shame..!
Yes... any solution that requires an external keyboard and display for a laptop isn't much of a serious solution. We travel with these things after all.

Old 07-02-07, 10:47 AM   #57
pepe#

> by the way, when installing with debian, did it detect you network card?

A recent netinstall cd(unstable i think) detected it with kernel 2.6.20 or so.

The *installed* kernel 2.6.18 on the other hand had no support. The sky2 module loads, but you get no interface. Current vanilla kernel works.

But I don't think that the workaround only works in debian. If Ubuntu or whatnot gives you more recent stock kernels, you may want to try them.
On the other hand, you'll probably need to make all this by hand anyway, to get support for iSight(?), sound(not yet), backlight(not yet), sensors(check..), wifi(check) and such..

> It's a shame..

Indeed. But I guess(hope) it's only a matter of a few weeks..

Chem: If you wanted immediate full linux support, you should've confirmed driver support before buying. It's very new hardware and drivers are on their way...
Old 07-02-07, 11:41 AM   #58
Chem

Quote:
Originally Posted by pepe#
Chem: If you wanted immediate full linux support, you should've confirmed driver support before buying. It's very new hardware and drivers are on their way...
Pepe, I have done exactly that You may notice, I have posted no personal reports. My dilemma is that, timeline wise, I must purchase within the next month. I will be choosing between a T61p (soon to be announced) or a MacBook Pro. I would prefer the MBP, but worry about hardware support. So, I contribute to these threads, asking questions and pointing towards others' experiences.

I really appreciate the reports and work of early adopters such as yourself. Getting that early feedback to the hardware vendors is invaluable. Does nvidia have any more official place to report problems like this? They must have a bugzilla or similar feature. I hope the bug logs have found their way there.
Old 07-02-07, 12:33 PM   #59
pepe#

> really appreciate the reports and work of early adopters such as yourself

Would you pay for it?

Front speaker and Mic work with modprobe snd_hda_intel model=w2jc

current status, free for edit: https://cbg.dyndns.org/wiki/ReadingC...uxOnMacbookPro
Old 07-02-07, 03:06 PM   #60
criticare

hi there, just thought i´d chime in here, too.. since i want those drivers to work, too.. typing this on osx right now and i sooo don´t like it....
@idmnified: this second monitor, keybord, unplug sleep thingy works on feisty, too. gentoo, too for that matter. so no need to go to debian for that (though there´s other good reasons to go debian aswell as gentoo)
you would need to manually install the 100.14.11 driver though on feisty since it has an old one that doesn´t work at all.
@pepe: thanks for the sound update. i can confirm this working on feisty and gentoo, too
all the other stuff from the mactel-linux people seems to be still working, too. (fan speed, etc.)
so here´s hoping that it indeed will only be a few weeks.
kind regards and good luck to us
criticare is offline   Reply With Quote