Go Back   nV News Forums > Software Forums > Gaming Central

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-14-07, 10:31 PM   #145
jAkUp
eat. sleep. overclock.

Default Re: Call of Juarez is out

Man I have been so busy with work, I am dying to try this in DX10. Hopefully this weekend
Old 06-14-07, 11:14 PM   #146
Arioch

Someone claiming to work for Techland posted on a thread on the international forums regarding the US version of this game that a patch is in the works to address the issues with the game not going full screen and the keyboard not being recognized. Hopefully there are other fixes in it also:

http://www.coj-game.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=2041
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 05:07 AM   #147
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Duno if you guys have seen this http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5057

Quote:
Originally Posted by VR-Zone
The Call of Juarez Benchmark released last Friday is one of the first few DirectX 10 benchmarks for public to try out. According to NVIDIA however, the benchmark includes new code that substantially reduces performance of NVIDIA hardware. Basically, it is claimed to be very skewed towards ATi hardware. The key issues brought up are:

NVIDIA's DX10 hardware-based multi-sampled Anti-Aliasing resolve is disabled in the benchmark, with all NVIDIA GPUs now being forced to use software-based AA resolve similar to the ATI DX10 GPU (which lacks hardware AA resolve). This artificially deflates performance on NVDIA graphics cards and users are not getting the benefit of a key NVIDIA hardware feature.

A hidden "ExtraQuality" parameter only accessible via a configuration file is automatically enabled when the benchmark is run on NVIDIA hardware, no matter what the setting in the configuration file. This setting has no apparent visual quality enhancement, but reduces NVIDIA GPU performance.

Changes to shaders that deflate NVIDIA performance by approximately 10-14%, without improving visual quality on either NVIDIA or ATI GPUs.
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 06:23 AM   #148
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

interesting, that that only affect the benchmark or the US release of game too?
Old 06-15-07, 08:53 AM   #149
AdamK47

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingawake
And for those who's game starts up in a window.. just simply change
the refresh rate in the options, and it will switch to full screen.
Are you saying full screen mode will stick and stay enabled everytime I start the game, or are you saying to do this once the game is loaded to get it out of windowed mode? I've noticed if I change the resolution to something else and then back to my LCDs native res (1600x1200) it goes to full screen, but I have to do this every time I load the game.
AdamK47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 11:33 AM   #150
JasonPC

Quote:
Originally Posted by MUYA
Duno if you guys have seen this http://www.vr-zone.com/?i=5057
Do you think they did this on purpose to artificially make ATI look like the better choice? Why would they do this?
JasonPC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 11:38 AM   #151
Arioch

Well there are definitely some issues with this game in DX10 mode, especially in SLI for me. DX9 mode works flawlessly on my end in SLI so I am hoping a patch/driver fix this issue. To be honest, this isn't a big name title so I am not sure how much work Nvidia is doing on their end. I am pretty sure a game like Bioshock and Crysis will see optimzed DX10 drivers out when the games come out.

The most obvious visual difference in DX10 is the rock textures but in DX9 mode the treetops look natural with AA applied. I have to disable AA altogether in DX10 to avoid the screen door look. Maybe the screen door effect is due to software AA being used and not hardware like the link to the article about the benchmark states. With all that said, the DX9 version of the game should still run better than it does. The game has some nice visual effects in it but my modded Oblivion still looks better and runs about double the frame rates than this game in DX9.
Arioch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 11:38 AM   #152
MUYA

Send a message via MSN to MUYA

Quote:
Originally Posted by JasonPC
Do you think they did this on purpose to artificially make ATI look like the better choice? Why would they do this?
You will have to ask the developers themselves
Corsair K90 - Corsair Venegance 2000 Headset - Razer Naga Epic
Corsair 600T Case
MUYA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old 06-15-07, 11:53 AM   #153
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

Well gee, if the case is unoptimized drivers then us Nvidia users are in for a treat !! -This game already runs butter smooth with max details and 16xAA for me, I can't wait to see what kind of numbers we get when a new driver is released !!
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 12:03 PM   #154
nekrosoft13
I'm Geralt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arioch
Well there are definitely some issues with this game in DX10 mode, especially in SLI for me. DX9 mode works flawlessly on my end in SLI so I am hoping a patch/driver fix this issue. To be honest, this isn't a big name title so I am not sure how much work Nvidia is doing on their end. I am pretty sure a game like Bioshock and Crysis will see optimzed DX10 drivers out when the games come out.

The most obvious visual difference in DX10 is the rock textures but in DX9 mode the treetops look natural with AA applied. I have to disable AA altogether in DX10 to avoid the screen door look. Maybe the screen door effect is due to software AA being used and not hardware like the link to the article about the benchmark states. With all that said, the DX9 version of the game should still run better than it does. The game has some nice visual effects in it but my modded Oblivion still looks better and runs about double the frame rates than this game in DX9.
does the DX9 and DX10 have seperate exe? or is it just coj.exe??

because nvapps.xml is pointing to coj_dx10.exe for the dx10 profile.

check what exe the game is using and then check if it matches the profile.
profile is called Call of Juarez DX10.

remember DX9 sli values/profiles don't work for DX10 games.
Old 06-15-07, 12:09 PM   #155
SLINROB
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreamingawake
Well gee, if the case is unoptimized drivers then us Nvidia users are in for a treat !! -This game already runs butter smooth with max details and 16xAA for me, I can't wait to see what kind of numbers we get when a new driver is released !!

you are either in dx9 mode or are running dx10 mode without aa being applied even though you think it is.

i have the dx9 version and i can believe it being smooth even with 16xaa but in dx10 with 16xaa i doubt it.
SLINROB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-07, 12:21 PM   #156
Dreamingawake
*BANNED*

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLINROB
you are either in dx9 mode or are running dx10 mode without aa being applied even though you think it is.

i have the dx9 version and i can believe it being smooth even with 16xaa but in dx10 with 16xaa i doubt it.
lol.. i could see how one would assume that, yes.. however, reality differs.

i am running in full dx10 mode.
resoultion 1280x960
AA 16x in game, AF 16x in control panel
All details MAX, except shadows are turned down to 1024.

Frame rate is smooth as butter.. am using the latest Beta drivers
from Nvidia, and they provide a nice boost. (Get rid of the stuttering anyway).

Specs are:
Core 2 Duo E6300 @ 1.9ghz
2Gb OCZ ram @ 800mhz
Evga Geforce 8800Gts 640Mb
Creative X-Fi Platinum
Vista Home Premium (of which I just did a fresh format/re-install
to play this game)

Why would I lie ?

Does FRAPS work in this game?? Pass me along the name of a good in game video 'capturer' and I'm all over it.
Dreamingawake is offline   Reply With Quote