Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Benchmarking And Overclocking

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 04-07-03, 09:58 PM   #133
Chalnoth

Microsoft isn't going to be producing an OpenGL HLSL.

As for DirectX, there still isn't a way to compile HLSL at runtime.

But you're right, there's less of a reason to go for Cg when the developer is going exclusively for DirectX as an API.

As for OpenGL, GLSlang may end up being a better solution in the long term (since it compiles directly to the metal, not to an intermediate assembly standard).
Old 04-07-03, 10:02 PM   #134
Cotita
Nvidia God

CG is not designed to create miracles, it just makes programming easier.

If CG is to be adopted, it will be because of its ease of use, cross platform capabilities and code optimizing for diferent cards (if manufacturers other than nvidia support it)

Microsoft is not known to be good for optimizing software, only to get the job done, so nvidia could optimize cg to perform at least as fast as HLSH. (there's still no definite proof that CG is actually slower than HLSL anyway)
Old 04-07-03, 10:07 PM   #135
Chalnoth

Well, it needn't be specifically optimized for every piece of hardware. It should just be as good as competing compilers for most hardware. Other companies will get on the bandwagon if it becomes viable for them to do so (i.e. if Cg gains wide acceptance among software developers).
Old 04-07-03, 10:09 PM   #136
Kruno
TypeDef's assistant

Send a message via ICQ to Kruno Send a message via AIM to Kruno

Quote:
Microsoft isn't going to be producing an OpenGL HLSL.
That's not what I ment.
I was thinking about M$ doing one of their licensing things that usually place companies in hot water. I was merely being paranoid.

Quote:
(there's still no definite proof that CG is actually slower than HLSL anyway)
Hence, I am not too sure about performance.

Quote:
If CG is to be adopted, it will be because of its ease of use, cross platform capabilities and code optimizing for diferent cards (if manufacturers other than nvidia support it)
I don't think that Ati or any company other than nVidia will optimise their cards under CG. I am aware that ARB extensions can be used by devs, but wouldn't the lack of support by other companies hurt CG in the long run?
Old 04-07-03, 10:15 PM   #137
Chalnoth

Quote:
Originally posted by K.I.L.E.R
I don't think that Ati or any company other than nVidia will optimise their cards under CG. I am aware that ARB extensions can be used by devs, but wouldn't the lack of support by other companies hurt CG in the long run?
Other companies, such as ATI, will only provide their own compilers for Cg if it is beneficial to do so.

If, for example, ARB_fragment_program is actually almost as good as it gets for the Radeon 9700, then there probably won't ever be a good reason for ATI to provide a Cg compiler for R3xx hardware.

However, if Cg gains wide acceptance, and ATI's next architecture isn't as compatible with the standard extensions, ATI would find great benefit in providing a Cg compiler.
Old 04-08-03, 01:13 AM   #138
Cotita
Nvidia God

I think the future of CG will be in the developers.

If CG is adopted to create games, eventually other card manufacturers will have to make their own compilers to optimize the games for their cards.

So in the end CG doesn't really need that other video card manufaturers to support it, only DCC and game developers
Old 04-08-03, 01:04 PM   #139
sapient

Quote:
Originally posted by StealthHawk
um, of course it matters how programmable something is. are you forgetting that DX9 does not have fixed specs? DX9 supports PS2.0, PS2.0+, and PS3.0 officially, at least. all of these offer differing programmability, with obviously no one having PS3.0 support yet.

HLSL isn't some magic language that lets you do anything you want. it just makes programming easier.
yeah I agree and from what I understand it uses its OWN assembly language routines right? We can all understand that the routines it will use will be the standard ARB paths (just as an example I know ARB is from OGL) cause they will be the least common denominator a DX9 hw HAS to support the ARB (type ) paths. So what if nvidia has a opcode that allows it to use only once cycle and regular 3dchps use 4 diff opcodes to achieve teh same result if that opcode is not being used what is the use?

Considering the fact that NV30 is upto 2 times slower than a R300 at running standard arb paths it REQUIRES Cg. I think running HLSL will also not be that good (but I may be wrong HLSL might have optimizations or even profiles like Cg as I think (have read somewhere) Cg is not that much different from HLSL)

I hope this makes it clear what my point is.
sapient is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-03, 01:12 PM   #140
sapient

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
The problem is, I wasn't comparing me and you, Most people "non Enthusiastt" people.

Heck I was chatting with a friend online yesterday (she doesnt know much about computers) And was telling me how her pentium 4 1.4 Ghz, Geforce 3 card was the top bread and butter and would last her another few years before she would have to upgrade.

The problem with enthusiasts is we make up such a small percentage of the computer market.
I AM talking about non enthusiasts. 3-4 years is longer than 2 OS cycles for MS. Even though I might be considered an enthusiast I am a student and a really poor one at that I only upgrade when i need to. I have had an Athlon 950 for about 2 years now and I am going to upgrade it soon. thats why I said 2-3 is the max. At my university they generally upgrade every 3 years (They have service contracts for 3 years so after that they usually upgrade). OEM is a very big market and they are not enthusiaists. A top of the line PC Atholon XP 2600+ can be had for around 700$ (albeit emachines) so that makes the point rather moot that people won't be upgrading as cost is the biggest issue in upgraidng. Enthusiasts will want an alienware whereas normal people would be ok with an emachines.

For Chalnoth as far as I rememebr the MSRP of ALL top of the line cards for ATI has always been $399 since Radeon and all teh retail stores like bestbuy and compus sell at the MSRP.

(sorry abt the delay in replying I had an exam today thats why I wasn't reading any replys)

Old 04-08-03, 01:56 PM   #141
ChrisRay

Quote:
Originally posted by sapient
I AM talking about non enthusiasts. 3-4 years is longer than 2 OS cycles for MS. Even though I might be considered an enthusiast I am a student and a really poor one at that I only upgrade when i need to. I have had an Athlon 950 for about 2 years now and I am going to upgrade it soon. thats why I said 2-3 is the max. At my university they generally upgrade every 3 years (They have service contracts for 3 years so after that they usually upgrade). OEM is a very big market and they are not enthusiaists. A top of the line PC Atholon XP 2600+ can be had for around 700$ (albeit emachines) so that makes the point rather moot that people won't be upgrading as cost is the biggest issue in upgraidng. Enthusiasts will want an alienware whereas normal people would be ok with an emachines.

For Chalnoth as far as I rememebr the MSRP of ALL top of the line cards for ATI has always been $399 since Radeon and all teh retail stores like bestbuy and compus sell at the MSRP.

(sorry abt the delay in replying I had an exam today thats why I wasn't reading any replys)
Well Sadly non Enthusiasts don't even upgrade their Operatng system unless they have too.. Sadly but surely people who buy the Geforce 4 MX's are the biggest thing on the market. And you'd be surprised how many people think they have a top of the line machine..

(yes Nvidia is to blame for this)
|CPU: Intel I7 Lynnfield @ 3.0 Ghz|Mobo:Asus P7P55 WS Supercomputer |Memory:8 Gigs DDR3 1333|Video:Geforce GTX 295 Quad SLI|Monitor:Samsung Syncmaster 1680x1080 3D Vision\/Olevia 27 Inch Widescreen HDTV 1920x1080

|CPU: AMD Phenom 9600 Black Edition @ 2.5 Ghz|Mobo:Asus M3n HT Deluxe Nforce 780A|Memory: 4 gigs DDR2 800| Video: Geforce GTX 280x2 SLI

Nzone
SLI Forum Administrator

NVIDIA User Group Members receive free software and/or hardware from NVIDIA from time to time to facilitate the evaluation of NVIDIA products. However, the opinions expressed are solely those of the members
ChrisRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-03, 02:24 PM   #142
sapient

Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisRay
Well Sadly non Enthusiasts don't even upgrade their Operatng system unless they have too.. Sadly but surely people who buy the Geforce 4 MX's are the biggest thing on the market. And you'd be surprised how many people think they have a top of the line machine..

(yes Nvidia is to blame for this)
Well my point is this USUALLY most people will be forced to upgrade their hardware or software within 3 years. Just take a look at CPU sales and the amount of chips that have been produced in the last 3-4 years. Also non enthusiasts are likely to upgrade ethe processor and cpu rather than the 3d card but by definition 3D card means its for either gamers or professionals who ARE enthusiasts or as I call them people who are willing to pay to keep current.

I think we are getting a bit offtrack here. My point is this NV30 as a design, is good enough only because of the capabilities it offers in the programming and flexibility department since it is the foundation of the next gen chips (i believe) the next incarnation would be better.
The only problem with NV30 is that the trade offs it has made for programmability are those that make it inefficient. At a higher clock speed 5600 Ultra is bested by a ti4200 which is not only priced lower but a year old in design (PLus clocked 100MHz lower).

http://www.beyond3d.com/previews/nvidia/nv31/

I believe Nv35 would atleast redeem most of these problems. But for now we are talking about Nv30 and as it stands the IQ is definitely reduced to get the gains that should have been there for a similar speed GF4 architecture.
Edit : Clarity

Last edited by sapient; 04-08-03 at 02:30 PM.