Go Back   nV News Forums > Hardware Forums > Home Theater A/V

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-27-07, 10:45 AM   #1
Ruined

Default Top Gun comes to HD DVD on 10/2/07!

Wooohooo! A personal fave of mine!

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...1&page=1&pp=30

Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.66GHz CPU | Intel G965WH mobo | 8GB (4x2GB) DDR2-667mhz CAS5 RAM (1066MHz FSB) | BFG GeForce 285 GTX OC 1GB | Dell E228WFP 22" DVI-HDCP LCD Monitor | 1TB Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Main Drive | 500GBx2 Western Digital RE3 SATA2 Scratch Drives in RAID0 | Western Digital RE3 1TB SATA2 Media Drive | External 2TB Western Digital MyBook Backup Drive | Adaptec eSATA 3.0gbps PCI-E interface | Sandisk External 12-in-1 Flash Card Reader | LG GGC-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD writer | LG GGW-H20L HD DVD/BD reader, DVD/BD writer | Microsoft E4000 Ergonomic Keyboard | Logitech Trackman Wheel | Antec P182 ATX Case | Thermaltake ToughPower XT 850w modular PSU | KRK RP-8 Rokit Studio Monitors | Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Ruined is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 11:01 AM   #2
|MaguS|

Default Re: Top Gun comes to HD DVD on 10/2/07!

ROFL HAHAHAHAHA

Old 06-27-07, 11:39 AM   #3
mcolbourn
Time waits for no man!

I really don't get it, why? release a 20 year old fild on HD. The picture won't be any better that getting the normal DVD and upscaling it. OK the Audio may be a bit better but not much.
Old 06-27-07, 12:04 PM   #4
Mr. Hunt
Rectal Gravy Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcolbourn
I really don't get it, why? release a 20 year old fild on HD. The picture won't be any better that getting the normal DVD and upscaling it. OK the Audio may be a bit better but not much.
Wrong.... 1080p still isn't even giving us what 35mm films have to offer.
Mr. Hunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 12:51 PM   #5
GamerGuyX

Quote:
You really have no idea what you are talking about.

Film itself has a greater resolution than even 1080p. So in other words: all movies benefit greatly going to HD.

[url="http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=35216"]Folding for Team# 35216 : NvNews + OSNN + SP[/URL]
GamerGuyX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-07, 01:07 PM   #6
Capt. Picard

... On a highway to the Daingerzone!!! ...

Oh Joy!
Old 06-27-07, 01:16 PM   #7
evilchris

Quote:
yeah because as we all know FILM is much lower resolution than today's 1080p camera's, lol!
Old 06-27-07, 01:25 PM   #8
GlowStick
CoD4!

Send a message via AIM to GlowStick

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xHklGtW3rwU

Old 06-27-07, 01:37 PM   #9
|MaguS|

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlowStick
HAHAHAHA
Old 06-27-07, 04:55 PM   #10
betterdan

Quote:
I hear this garbage all the time and don't know where people are getting this idea from. HD is NOT higher resolution than film. In order it is like this.... VHS then DVD then HD then film (I know there are other steps but I am keeping it simple). Just because a movie is old doesn't mean it will look like crap on an HD transfer.
People give DVD too much credit. Yea it looks good but it is still way below HD quality and extremely below film quality. Please understand this and put the word out to others so this misinformation can be squashed.
Also upscaling a dvd is not even close to being as good as a good HD transfer.
Old 06-27-07, 09:14 PM   #11
shabby
Forcefed GXP

Quote:
Originally Posted by betterdan
Just because a movie is old doesn't mean it will look like crap on an HD transfer.
Have you watched the terminator or terminator 2 on bluray? Its 1080p yet looks like ass compared to any recent 1080p movies.
Old 06-27-07, 09:21 PM   #12
betterdan

Quote:
Originally Posted by shabby
Have you watched the terminator or terminator 2 on bluray? Its 1080p yet looks like ass compared to any recent 1080p movies.
No, I haven't but I would bet that's the fault of the transfer not the film itself unless they used a craptacular master to start with in which case any dvd, HD or otherwise could look like crap . Film is higher resolution than HD please see my post above and try not to spread misinformation.

I just read a review on High Def Digest on the Terminator Blu ray DVD and they said it looked quite good considering the film source.

Like I said if the source isn't the greatest to begin with then of course you can't get a diamond from a poop pile. HD simply brings you closer to how the movie looked originally on film. If it looked grainy on film or was poorly shot then you will just get closer to that original vision. I heard a lot of people gripe saying that the new dvd of the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre that was shot on lowly 16mm film couldn't look any better than the old Pioneer non anamorphic disc. Yet here we are with the new remastered anamorphic dvd from an HD transfer and it looks incredible. I hear the HD transfer itself from the film is outstanding.

I stand by my statement, just because a movie is old doesn't mean it will look like crap on an HD transfer. Yes there will be some that do but that is also true of newer movies too wether on plain old DVD or HD DVD/Blu ray.

Think about back when dvd first came out, some of the dvds that came out were of movies that had been out just recently and now looking back, those dvds are not the hottest looking ones out. Was that the fault of the dvd or the film and did it mean film was just crappy looking as well as dvd? No it was the transfers themselves. As they learned how to do better transfers and utilize dvds better they started looking a lot better.
Understand now?