Go Back   nV News Forums > Linux Support Forums > NVIDIA Linux

Newegg Daily Deals

Old 06-17-07, 07:16 AM   #25
-Ken

Default Re: 100.14.09 with 8600GT - random lockups

Hello all,

Please forgive the unsophisticated user level, I have been around Linux for a couple of years but still qualify as a n00b.

I think I can shed a little light on this problem, as I have been chasing it for a while.

Roughly three months back, I decided to upgrade my hardware to an AMD3800 AM2-64 with an Asus MB. (2) GB DDR-2 RAM and a Nvidia GeForce 7100 GS, Adaptec U160 controller and (2) 147 GB SCSI drives.

As I had a chance to experiment with anything I wanted, I decided to download several distros and see what I liked. The three that actually got installed and used were SUSE 10.2, Fedora 7 Test 3 (and then a fresh install of Fedora 7, when the final release came out and most recently Ubuntu Feisty.

In each one of these releases I have experienced exactly the same set of symptoms that are being described here.

I can also state for the record, this problem is being discussed in many different forums, including several places that I managed to find using Google and I have tried just about every single fix that has been suggested with no success.

What I can tell you with some certainty is that this is not distro related, appears to only happen when the NVidia driver is enabled, and apparently when Desktop effects are turned on (again from my experience) as I managed to use Fedora 7 Test 3 for several weeks without a single hangup but when I did the fresh install to the final Fedora 7 release and desktop effects were turned on, the problem resumed.

While I haven't replaced my video card (yet) I have slowly replaced every individual other piece of hardware in my system, starting with the motherboard, RAM, SCSI controller, SCSI drive (I have two so that was easy) NIC and most recently the power supply.

What I will be doing is setting my system to the generic NV driver and see if I can get some of the stability I was seeing in the past when I was not enabling the eye candy and I will be glad to post any progress I make as I see it.

Hope this helps.

-Ken
-Ken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 08:58 AM   #26
-Ken

Good morning all,

I have a rather interesting update.

Yesterday, I edited the xorg.conf and changed the video driver from Nvidia to nv and I have not had a lockup since. Before this change I was experiencing somewhere on the order of three in an eight hour period.

I would love to hear back from others here who have also made this change with reports of their experiences.

Respectfully,

-Ken
Old 06-18-07, 11:41 AM   #27
pius

Yes I know that nv driver works but it lacks 3d support. If I would have to use it, I could as well use old Riva TNT instead of buying 7600GS.

There are bunches of threads on this forum (and elsewhere) running for a long time and regarding this problem, yet there's still no solution.
pius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 01:32 PM   #28
...Max...

I keep on my desperate fight... or is it plight?

Installed Debian Etch (kernel 2.6.18*) -- crash frequency is much lower than with Ubuntu, but still happens. Same old "irq NN: nobody cared" except NN has changed.

Installed lm-sensors. Apparently with Gnome desktop up and running (and not doing much of anything) the +12V line is at +9.12V and -12V is at -11.18V. 9V instead of 12V sounds extreme... a question to nVidia folks: would that cause all kinds of trouble with the card? Does that mean I need a bigger PS (mine is a generic 500W ATX but I have 3 hard drives hanging on it among other things)?

Wild goose chases are tiresome, so, specifically -- is a low 12V line voltage likely to induce spurious interrupts from a video card (I understand this is the real cause of "nobody cared", right?)
...Max... is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 01:37 PM   #29
chunkey
#!/?*

well, you can always try with "irqpoll" and "noirqdebug" as a kernel-boot-paramter...
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 01:55 PM   #30
...Max...

I tried irqpoll before -- was still getting the same crashes except log content was a lot more confusing. Instead of unhandled irqs coming definitely from video I was getting long reports about cd-rom interrupts complete with "drive appears confused". Can't even guess at what was going on, but it crashed anyway.

noirqdebug -- what does that do? Does it mean that unhandled irqs will be ignored without disabling the APIC line?

UPDATE: RTFMed... yes, I'll try that. What can it possibly break I wonder?
Old 06-18-07, 02:03 PM   #31
chunkey
#!/?*

Quote:
Originally Posted by ...Max...
noirqdebug -- what does that do? Does it mean that unhandled irqs will be ignored without disabling the APIC line?
exactly
chunkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-07, 02:27 PM   #32
...Max...

Just found the specs for my power supply -- presumably it can handle 28A on the +12V line! So, the lm-sensors must be reading garbage... right?

Old 06-18-07, 08:51 PM   #33
...Max...

noirqdebug does not help either. Crashed again after a while, nothing at all in any logs this time
Old 06-20-07, 12:50 PM   #34
...Max...

Here's what seems to have solved the problem for me: I've adjusted the FSB and nVidia SPP voltages up from 1.2V to 1.4V. No crashes so far, with either Debian Etch or Ubuntu Gutsy, using 100.14.09. Interestingly enough, my system is NOT overclocked.
Old 06-25-07, 08:41 AM   #35
-Ken

Well, I have reduced the lockups down to once every two days or so and I can say that the problem certainly has not been fixed, even thought by getting rid of the Desktop Effects and the proprietary NVidia driver I have reduced the lockups significantly.

The last lockup led me to Newegg to look at ATI cards ( can I say that here? ) and I ran across a review (located here) that says the following,

Quote:
Other Thoughts: I'm using this with Linux and it works fine with the standard radeon kernel module (no configuration required or proprietary drivers). I wanted to use some of the fancy 3D accelerated eye-candy most distros are now using such as Beryl/Compiz. This seems to work fine with this card, but causes my whole computer to randomly lock-up. I blame experimental Beryl and the newness of the rest of my hardware for this issue. Good value.
I would suggest that the above post indicates this is not a NVidia issue and that there needs to be a comparison as to what has been changed in many of the recent Linux Distros.

As I saw the issue in SUSE 10.2, Ubuntu Feisty, as well as Fedora 7 (final release) but not with Fedora 7 Test 3, I would suggest that this might be able to be traced down using the information I have provided in a comparison to find out what exactly had changed.

At this point, I believe I should probably apologize for posting this on the NVidia forum and I would like you all to know, I appreciate your help and the fine products NVidia makes.

-Ken
Old 06-26-07, 12:37 AM   #36
DaveQB

I have the same issue here.

Just build myself a new system. Move from Skt 939 to Skt AM2 so a move from AGP to PCI Express and from DDR to DDR2.

I installed and fired up, no problems for the first night of use, about 4-6 hours, but over night it froze and it freezes just after login ever since then.

Logs have a CPU#0/1 lookup followed by what looks like a trace.

I have blamed faulty hardware here and have had a mate test my new CPU etc. I will now look at the Graphics card. I thought I tried the nv driver, but it didnt work, so I assumed the 8600GT was not supported with it.

PS I booted with the Kubuntu Fiesty 7.04 CD and it seemed fine, so clicked on the installer icon and BAM! froze again!
I am pretty sure the CD uses the nv/open source driver.
Linux david 2.6.20-16-generic #2 SMP Thu Jun 7 19:00:28 UTC 2007 x86_64 GNU/Linux
DaveQB is offline   Reply With Quote